DIY PVC pleco caves with rocks

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So since my LF BN plecos are getting closer to a breeding age I figured I should get the ball rolling and get their caves made. I only have one done so far. But here is my process and finished product. Since I promised I would share :)

First I cut to the desired length and washed and dried them

I then sanded down the rough edges so they wouldn't get scraped at the opening as well as making the exterior more adhesive to the silicone

On the left you can see the rounded corners and on the right how jagged and sharp they were before sanding.

4 completely sanded and re-washed tubes. I let them air dry this time just because I had other things I needed to do.

I then used the stove top elements to heat the pvc to make it pliable. I used oven mits to hold it and to pinch it with. When it cooled down enough to still be slightly pliable but enough to hold bare handed I pinched it shut and ran under cold water to cool off and stay in desired place

I then used aquarium safe silicone to individually, yes time-consuming-color-choice-picking-indivially, apply the stones that matched the tank substrate to the exterior of the pvc.

I then used my (gloved) finngers to spread silicone around the edge and inner inch of the tube with silicone and then pressed smaller rock to that. Doesn't exactly match however, I wanted to disguise the pvc some and the bigger stones wouldn't stay.

I let this dry for a minimum of 24 hours. I got busy and it was put in another room so it ended up being closer to a week or two before being put into the tank but here is the finish product in the tank.

One of the larger LF BN has already started camping out in it within 3 hours of it being in the tank. My largest SF BN (that will be moved to a different tank) still chooses to reside in the bamboo for now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Cool DIY project!

Its lighter gravel around the opening reminds me of a PayDay
007.JPG

A

Anonymous

So cool, love these type threads!

Good job Shorty, they look awesome!!

Betty

Staff member
Nice job on those! I like the way you closed the ends. If for some reason your plecos don't spawn in them, you can try a smaller diameter pipe. One thing I've noticed about mine is that they all prefer tighter fitting caves/logs if they have a choice. I'm guessing the smaller size makes it easier to keep the babies in and unwanted visitors out.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That definitely makes sense. Once I got it home and in my tank it does look big. I have only done one so far, so I may change up the size for the others. This was 2" so maybe 1.5" or 1"?

Betty

Staff member
One of each of those sizes? That way they can choose the size they like. :santa:

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That's kind of what I plan to do. I'm going to put them around in the tank and let them choose which ones to live in lol. I think 3 caves for 5 BN should be good. But if I can squeeze in a 4th I might.

MorganEA

I've also heard that the plecos like it when you sand the inside of the PVC to rough it up a bit, that way the eggs stick better.

lymitliss

DMD123 said:
Cool DIY project!

Its lighter gravel around the opening reminds me of a PayDay
007.JPG

Aahah that's exactly what I was thinking. I love Paydays. I might have to make something similar for my Pleco when I move them into the new tanks.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So far, or course, none of the pleco are using it. But one is choosing the small 1"ish bamboo piece so I think future ones I may make smaller. I think this one will go into my 75 gallon for the pictus to maybe use

MorganEA

how big are your plecos? the 1in seemed to small to me. I will probably have to upgrade to 1.5 when mine get bigger.