DIY Backround Instructions

alyssaesk

icer711 said:
i dont see why not just takes time and an imagination, i have seen picts o them done with pieces of pipes that the fish could swim into and though in some places they made it look really cool have also see where they did the sides and made a few rocks up front
here is one i found its a 180gl with twin over flows
DSC02802.jpg

I am going to home depot right now to get the supplies to make this... i want mine to look just like this... screww plain 2d backgrounds... whoever came up with this was a genius! has anyone actually made on with caves and stuff like this???

sandnuka

alyssaesk, pretty sure that was one of the ones that you buy..... All the ones ive seen made dont look anything like that.... reference the DIY video, and the two I made... if you tried to make something like that it would take forever... and also wouldnt be bendable so you would have to build it in the tank as you go.

janky

WOW :shock:
Those are really cool!!! If I had even a shred of artistic ability and didn't already have my tanks partially stocked, I'd be on my way to home depot!!!

sandnuka

janky, you can buy them, dont need artistic ability! My god, does anyone read previous posts! lol thats the 3rd or 4th time i said it. lol

sandnuka

lol... Ok, good... I thought I was being ignored by everyone and no one could see my posts! lol..... glad to know people still read what I write. (there is no emoticon for *relief) someone should tell a admin to add one.... oh wait, lol... I will get on it. :)

janky

lol, yeah I'm a broke student. My gf is the artist... Maybe if she's up for it we'll try this out. Lord knows I couldn't do it. If I had $200 I would definitely just buy one - those backgrounds are nuts! :shock: very cool.

sandnuka

it really doesnt take an artist... although, not to brag, but I am pretty artistic 8)

Here is one I did step by step with pictures to show how easy it was.....

backgr23.jpg
backgr24.jpg
backgr25.jpg
backgr26.jpg
backgr27.jpg
backgr28.jpg

After all is said and done

bigtan13.jpg

janky

wow! Maybe I could commission you to make one for us?? :lol: I was going over that design site and it had a "how-to" on installing in existing tanks, so I'm definitely going to be looking further into this. I think I have to take the lip of my tank to install it though...

Anthraxx

naw u just have to play with it to fit it around existing braces. it should come in precut sections and u can always trim it down to fit snuggly quite easily.