DIY Backround Instructions

sandnuka

Hey I actually already posted this once in another section.... Figured I should share it in the video section.... Hope this helps people who wanted to do it..... I really really love mine!

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/_5Ng6GeF9mA" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Paintguy

I was thinking unless you seal around the edges it could get pretty nasty behind it.

I made some large rock stage props once and something you might try to make them look more realistic is to use a torch rather than a knife (or with the knife) to shape them. I found that the brand of Styrofoam makes a big difference in the way it melts, so it may not work with that pink stuff & definitely to be done outside as it releases some nasty fumes not to mention a fire hazard.

Of course there will be some numb nut watching youtube that burns his house down trying this ;)

sandnuka

I had two of these backgrounds.... they looked awesome... and cleanin them is super easy, just like cleaning any decor, scrub it.... It seals on pretty good if you use the silicone like he did in the video, so i didnt have any problem with it gettin dirty back there either.

As far as makin the rocks look more natural, I love the fire or hot iron melting the styrophome Idea.... I never tried it, but gosu had done it and really liked it..... To me it looks pretty natural if you use a steak knife and kinda do a sawing motion. Then goop on the concrete and it looks pretty good.

If anyone has any questions, Just ask.... like I said, I did two of them succesfully!

bigtan13.jpg

JLux1106

what about

and what about getting the sheet of foam into your tank if you have the glass or acryllic support in the middle of the top of your tank below your lights? would you just do 2 seperate pieces ?

icer711

there easier to do in multiple pieces especially when siliconeing them to the back of the tank you will get a more even dispersion of the silicone with smaller easier to handle pieces and then you don't have to worry about the lights and such as long as your pieces are smaller than the opening ;P

icer711

i dont see why not just takes time and an imagination, i have seen picts o them done with pieces of pipes that the fish could swim into and though in some places they made it look really cool have also see where they did the sides and made a few rocks up front
here is one i found its a 180gl with twin over flows
DSC02802.jpg

sandnuka

Im pretty sure that one was purchased.... there is a place you can buy them.... someone told me, but I forgot, was like 3d backgrounds .com ... or something like that.....

Love to see more pictures of purchased and self made ones... am I the only person who made some of these backgrounds?

this was my first one

tank_f11.jpg

gochu

I made my first one a couple months ago but didnt make it out of styrofoam. Never really liked the way styrofoam ones came out although i have seen some really good ones but i dont have that artistic ability. I ended up just getting like a 100lbs of flagstone and attaching it to some eggcrate and siliconed it to the back of my tank.

img_2111.jpg

sandnuka

Looks really good... but probably weighs a ton!!!! The styrophoam and ones that you can buy are super light..... also, the styrofoam cost allot less.