Decisions on my 125gal. Stay african or go for central or south american cichlid

cichlid-gal

SiRWesDragon said:
Im looking towards american cichlids that are 10in and below. Any suggestions?  Thanks donna.
Somewhere in my saved links I have a really nice link to american cichlids that has size info and such...I'll be darned if I can find it right now...but a few smaller ones would be

Thorichthys Meeki (Fire Mouth)
Archocentrus multispinosus
Amatitlania nigrofasciata
Amatitlania siquia
Cryptoheros sajica
Nandopsis Octofasciatum

there are some others too...more on here probably know them better. I'll keep searching for that link.

Chiisai

SiRWesDragon said:
Im looking towards american cichlids that are 10in and below. Any suggestions?  Thanks donna.
You could fit alot of rams or make an awesome Apisto tank. You would even have room to keep fry... An Apisto paradise would be kinda cool.

MRTom

Have you looked at the non-Apisto SA Cichlid families? Chocolates look like a fun peaceful breed on the larger end (12"). Look at "Hypselecara temporalis" for instance.

In the smaller scale (3 to 4") I am super interested in "Dicrossus filamentosus". A few weeks ago I posted about them, and folks mentioned a store or two had them in stock.

Obviously there are rams and apistos too... Then there's keyholes (cleithacara) and acaras in general. In fact, have you seen the threadfin acara? 8 inches, and very peaceful fish.

There's some more ideas for ya

Chiisai

MRTom said:
Have you looked at the non-Apisto SA Cichlid families? Chocolates look like a fun peaceful breed on the larger end (12"). Look at "Hypselecara temporalis" for instance.

In the smaller scale (3 to 4") I am super interested in "Dicrossus filamentosus". A few weeks ago I posted about them, and folks mentioned a store or two had them in stock.

Obviously there are rams and apistos too... Then there's keyholes (cleithacara) and acaras in general. In fact, have you seen the threadfin acara? 8 inches, and very peaceful fish.

There's some more ideas for ya
He said he was hoping to get his stock from fishboxers. I was thinking rams or apistos because I have seen others mention they have them. Not sure if any of those are bred by fishboxers. Though Choco's look fun.

Killybeys

I gotta say i love having tiger oscars. I have 2 and they are both very personable. They look when i walk by with the bag of food and come greet me. I love em to death and they are fun once they start to get bigger

cichlid-gal

Here's a great CA resource Wes and this issue (issue 5) has some of the smaller CA cichlids in it. All his issues are great so take time to look them all over. He has great recommendations for tank setups/displays also.

http://centralscenemagazine.blogspot.com/

And I'm still searching for that "other" link...I know I have it