Decisions on my 125gal. Stay african or go for central or south american cichlid

Madness

Staff member
Meeki: Otherwise known as the Fire Mouth, beautiful fish max size 6-7".
Citrinellus: Known as the Midas, 14-16".
Amarillo: Max's out around 10-12",
Breidohri: Males about 12" females slightly smaller, very slow grower
Zonatus: 14" full grown,
Sp. Coatzacoalcos: 12" max,
Tetracanthus: Known as the Cuban cichlid, max size 10" very slow grower.
Bocourti: Not as aggressive as the above fish max size 14-16",
Pearsi: Same as the Bocourti in temperament and size.,
Temporalis: Known as the Chocolate Cichlid, max size around 14" peaceful like the Pearsi,
Balzanii: Is a gravel sifter that reaches 8" max,
Umbrifera: Very aggressive max size 22"

With that list: All of the species except the Balzinii and the Meeki will be a single or pair tank only, for the Pearsi, Bocourti and Choc they are peaceful but get to large and the others are far to aggressive to have anything more than a solo or pair. The Balzinii and firemouths could coexist, say 2-3 of ea.

What I do when I cant make up my mind, is I buy all the fish I want (or think I want) at a small size, like 1-2". I buy like 3 and then I let them grow up a bit together, and then pick and chose as they grow, based on look and personality.

Monatus: never heard of this one.

dwarfpike

The firemouths would destroy those Geos, plus they will need a cooldown period.

Madness - You think the Breidohri would be too aggressive for the firemouths? I would think a pair of them and a group of firemouths would work (haven't kept breidohri though yet). If not, a chocolate pair should be able to handle them.

Madness

Staff member
Breidohri are to aggressive for FM. And true the Balzini are not aggressive at all. The chocolates gets so large. Maybe 1 Pearsi and a hand full of the Balzini.

Drd62

Madness said:
Breidohri are to aggressive for FM.  And true the Balzini are not aggressive at all.  The chocolates gets so large.  Maybe 1 Pearsi and a hand full of the Balzini.
My Pearsi has been in with fish a lot smaller and they have been fine with him. I have chocolate cichlids and they are pretty docile but do get fairly large.

A

Anonymous

My friend Dennis aka denizaari is buying my whole african cichlid setup. So Im going to be in need New world cichlid frys. Any great deals out there?

Madness

Staff member
I only have Red Devil, Piebold Fenestratus, and Black Umbee fry available at this time. APFP has some good stock and really decent prices.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
If you want a community with a select few on the large side, a pearsei or bocourti would be a great fish for that. But I think the amphilophus family makes for the best wet pets with great interaction. I miss my old midas but my new little male red isletas is really becoming a favorite.

zach_discus

Go Chocolates or look into some Uara's. The Uara's are mild mannered and not called the poor mans Discus with out good reason :)The Balazani's need a cool spell for a couple months each year to keep there color and health. Might look into Geophagus Altifrons instead. With the above two another awesome addition is a few Mesonautus Festivums. That would be a stunning treo for a tank and cover top/middle/bottom very well.

Madness

Staff member
SiRWesDragon said:
How much for your red devils and black umbees
Sorry never saw this post.

RD fry: 1"-$2ea/ 2"-$4ea/3"-$6ea/3"+-$8ea
Umbee Fry: 1.5"-$5ea/2"-$8ea/3"-$12ea/4"-$15ea

A

Anonymous

So my 125gal is setup but no rocks, driftwoods,  and of course fishes.  
fb_img10.jpg
fb_img11.jpg

A

Anonymous

Im looking towards american cichlids that are 10in and below. Any suggestions? Thanks donna.