Clean up crew ideas for aggressive fish (pleco)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking for an idea on a clean up fish that could possibly be housed with a Trimac and or RTM Cichlid in a typical 90 gallon tank.

At the moment I have a very territorial Male bristle nosed pleco With the RTM growouts but I dont think it will work long term. He will likely just be too small to be in with a full grown 12” fish. The Trimac is already pretty big so that one is really a tough try.

Like the thought of a pleco of some sort that is not a huge common that might eat a bit of algae and keep the wood clean but open to other ideas...

Madness

Staff member
Anything that is aggressive will be more of a carnivorous species and they will not touch the algae. The only thing that will touch the algae and hold its own would be a sailfin. A common is known to stop cleaning the algae once they hit a certain size but the sailfin typically continues you playing the allergy even once they are big.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was think of pleco I have kept in the past that did well with my less aggressive cichlids (in bigger tank though). I might reconsider these or maybe another type.

I have had L001 Gold Spot Pleco (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) which actually would protect its little spot in the tank from a pretty calm petco midas.

Rhino pleco which was very territorial with bichir but had no issues with the cichlids. Didn’t realize how well of a job it did keeping glass and wood clean until it was gone.

Of interest L091 the Three Beacon pleco, very reminiscent of the rhino I kept.
L024 redfin cactus, though a bit more expensive and not really a great algae eater.
L048 “Golden Cloud Pleco” which Im doing a bit more research on...

I have other pleco of interest but am looking at keeping price down to about $50

Any other recommend pleco appreciated.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to get more info on Scobinancistrus cf. pariolispos “L048” “Golden Cloud Pleco”
Wet Spot has them for $60 and I like what it looks like.
5B08227D-7DE6-4D9D-A818-322E4B554CC8.jpeg
Well, I like the way it looks as an adult
CA048DE3-A968-4B5A-B9D4-7CF2CB41715F.jpeg
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=629

Not too big of a pleco and at a price I am willing to pay.
Found decent info here: https://plecoplanet.com/forum/threads/l048-scobinancistrus-cf-pariolispos.1657/

Might not be good fit since it really seems to need 80+ temps from what Im reading up on it.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to get a L001 Gold Spot Pleco (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) for my RTM tank. It’s one I kept years ago and was happy with but lost to sickness. I decided to add the little guy early on so the fish grow up together in the tank and its just a given that it’s always been there. Hopefully the theory works, lol.

Very zoomed in picture
384C9632-346E-4076-94CF-7D99422C10A7.jpeg
The cool thing is that these ones are not giants like the common or gibbiceps and stay about 12 inches or so. I find them quite attractive looking as adults too. Here is an example of an adult. Not my picture, but clearly marked as to where it is from and owner. But it gives a good representation of the adult.
01DD07E6-7DE7-4C8F-B64D-A4006A752346.jpeg
Not as heavy armored as I would like but I think it will work in this set up. As for the trimac, something with heavy plates or spines for sure. So still looking for pleco #2

Orthopod

Your choice of L001 is a better one with your stated goal. All scobiancitrus (L48, L14,and L253) look for a fair amount of protein in the diet (although they are omnivorous) and aren’t great algae grazers. L24 and L91 are primarily carnivores. Although the both take some plant matter in their diet as well.

5121CA14-73D2-4B4D-BA7C-97CB3CD3DEF7.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
'... not giants...only about 12 inches or so...'

Yikes!!! :eek::eek::eek:
lol, to me not a giant. I used to have my 16” Pearsei in the 300 and I still have the 20” endli. So a 12” pleco seems normal. The gibby is one of my favorite pattern wise but it can easily hit 15”+ which is too much pleco for me.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This little pleco just disappears in a 75 at this point. I have been feeding 3mm NLS Algaemax at night so its spread out and it can feed. I think this might help it get food with its overbearing male bristle nosed pleco tankmate. I think the bristle nose needs to go so the smaller sailfin can settle in and eat/grow. I notice some side fin damage on the sailfin like what would happen to the Raphael cat when it shared the tank with the bristle nosed pleco. I wonder how it would do in the trimac tank.... or possibly if it would work in my puffer tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was happy to catch the pleco out. It just disappears in the 75 with all the wood in the tank and it hiding from an aggressive bristle nose tankmate. He has a little belly so I know he is eating well.
IMG_20201118_200151590.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Today when cleaning my 90’s couldn’t help but notice the difference in cleanliness of the tank that had plecos. The one with a bristle nose and small sailfin had no algae on glass or wood. The other tank required quit a but of scrubbing on back wall and wood.

Im on the hunt still for a pleco fo the trimac tank. Found one of interest. A L137 “Red Bruno”, said to be an omnivore so it should eat up some algae. Not too large of a fish but grows big enough not to get ate. $60 for a 2-3” fish at Wet Spot. Another choice is a Rhino pleco, Imperial Tropicals says they have a 10” one. This would be a perfect fit for the trimac because I could introduce it right away whereas any other pleco would require at least 8 months to grow out to have enough size on it.

Got some thinking to do....

Madness

Staff member
Today when cleaning my 90’s couldn’t help but notice the difference in cleanliness of the tank that had plecos. The one with a bristle nose and small sailfin had no algae on glass or wood. The other tank required quit a but of scrubbing on back wall and wood.

Im on the hunt still for a pleco fo the trimac tank. Found one of interest. A L137 “Red Bruno”, said to be an omnivore so it should eat up some algae. Not too large of a fish but grows big enough not to get ate. $60 for a 2-3” fish at Wet Spot. Another choice is a Rhino pleco, Imperial Tropicals says they have a 10” one. This would be a perfect fit for the trimac because I could introduce it right away whereas any other pleco would require at least 8 months to grow out to have enough size on it.

Got some thinking to do....
I have had the 137 in the past and it is an amazing looking fish. But I never saw it eating algae..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the 137 in the past and it is an amazing looking fish. But I never saw it eating algae..
I was going off internet info saying it was an omnivore with a tendency towards greens and to have wood for it too. But internet info is all over the board. I cant get a straight answer on its size. Ive seen 7-12”, lol... that is a lot of leeway

The rhino is probably my best choice for an all purpose, durable pleco to try with the Trimac.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So after even more looking around online researching I have found that plecos in the Pterygoplichthys family are all said to be good algae eaters when young. A lot of these fall into what is just called “sail fin” pleco. Many of these dont have L numbers to distinguish them easily.

My current L001 gold spot falls into this family along with the rhino I am interested in. The gibbiceps is also another pretty common one but easily get 15”. I found one I absolutely want but just cant find for sale, common name Imperial Ranger Pleco, or Pterygoplichthys punctatus
8714BE9A-93CC-4EA0-9625-342D9165B767.png
Not small with it getting 11”+ but not your everyday pleco.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have an email in to Imperial Tropicals, they show that they have rhino pleco in stock. Choices are 1.5"-2" or 10". I really dont want to have to raise a tiny pleco out so Im asking about the 10" one.

Madness

Staff member
I have an email in to Imperial Tropicals, they show that they have rhino pleco in stock. Choices are 1.5"-2" or 10". I really dont want to have to raise a tiny pleco out so Im asking about the 10" one.
Let me know when you want to place an order if you do. I would love to grab a couple from them as well and start slowly collecting my pleco tank family