Cl drama, isn't it stupid?

pbmax

Yes, some are very justified and should definitely be enforced. On the other hand, banning entire taxonomic families or orders is just slash and burn as far as our hobby goes; who cares if various genera or species within those families or orders pose absolutely no thread whatsoever, even if they were released wholesale into lakes and rivers? Politicians can't be bothered to give a little thought to the shackles they put on us.

And for the record, the specific case I'm talking about was brought about by irresponsible fishermen using the offending creatures as bait.

aquaman95

I do not get why people throw them in lakes there is sombody that will take them a lfs or if its too big eat it....In hawaii pacu is farmed as food fish

Madness

Staff member
Just fyi the fish in question can not and will not survive in our lakes or rivers. So it is a mute point.

aquaman95

Yeah laws are stupid for the most part but i would rather not break the big ones like illegal importation of anything.And yes i do not see RBP breeding in the colombia its way to cold .

Fish Addict

I agree it so SO GD DUMB but the few that should be banned should be the only ones because freaking GOLDFISH are much more dangerous to the environment then most of the banned plants, fish and invertebrates and leave it to the government to f it up

Madness

Staff member
Hey get use to it cause I heard that they are going to crack down and band exotic pet owning, and a lot of the species we are currently keeping will be on that list. That its because the ones making the rules don't have the pets and the knowledge that those of us that actually raise them do. I understand tigers, alligators, poisonous snakes, but they are also going to generically add all WC fish to that list because they don't have a clue.

aquaman95

Yeah its terrible those of us who wanna get educated and educate can not because some AHOLE directors make movies that scare people...on top of that we will always have the media overkill...but yes all cold water fish should be illegal anything that requires 72+ temp should be legal....for the most part...But something we need to understand is for every 1 responsible keeper there is 5 who are not so the laws do help keep idiots from releasing real threatening species.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Does the fact that it is illegal make it more desirable? Forbidden fruit :scratch:

Would we see a huge increase in ownership of RBP for example if they were legal?

aquaman95

Of course we would see a huge ownership increase then we would see a huge explosion of free rbp on clist...i have seen rbp down in oregon by the tank fulls being sold

fishman09

i love craigslist. picked up a 240 acrylic worth a solid 1000$ for 50$, 135 custom glass worth about 300$ for 60$, and most recently a 75 gallon tank and stand worth a solid 200$ for 40$ so... 1500$ in tanks for 150$ isnt too bad no matter all the crap thats on there. :D

Fish Addict

yeah craigslist is great for that and I think most of the users are good honest people but some are completely bat s crazy...... and when ever I see RD/Convict hybrids or any hybrids I try to pick them up or any fish that is not going to be suited for most people due to size (ex: pacu) because I know a few guys with heated indoor ponds that are willing to take them when they can if nobody else can..... CL is like a city it has alot of good people, a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about and of course a few loser, scammer, dangerous people but as long as you try and avoid them its a great tool................. on another note does anybody know why PEOPLE POST ADS IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT AND WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE SOME INSIGHT

Bassman42

DMD123 said:
Does the fact that it is illegal make it more desirable? Forbidden fruit :scratch:

Would we see a huge increase in ownership of RBP for example if they were legal?
I don't think so. I have had "illegal " fish because they were good tank mates for my community of "Monsters"

I have owned RBPs before and they are kind of a stupid fish. Nothing like Cichlids, always darting away when you walk in the room. Also Portland( RBPs are legal in OR) is so close that any hobbist that wanted them would just take the 3 hour drive.

Zerc

I agree, piranhas are some of the most skittish fish i have owned. if you want to see them swim around you have to all but hide and wait. cichlids have way more personality, it isnt even close.
(there are a few species of Ps that are really pretty, but its hard to appreciate it when they hide from you)

A

Anonymous

Fish Addict said:
yeah craigslist is great for that and I think most of the users are good honest people but some are completely bat s crazy...... and when ever I see RD/Convict hybrids or any hybrids I try to pick them up or any fish that is not going to be suited for most people due to size (ex: pacu) because I know a few guys with heated indoor ponds that are willing to take them when they can if nobody else can..... CL is like a city it has alot of good people, a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about and of course a few loser, scammer, dangerous people but as long as you try and avoid them its a great tool................. on another note does anybody know why PEOPLE POST ADS IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT AND WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE SOME INSIGHT
I put some words in caps to enficise that word and make it stand out. Like WILL NOT PART OUT but yet half of the emails ask me to pull of this piece of the tank and sell it dirt cheap and I say to look at the add and read before you email.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My all time favorite was one of the beggars asking for free tanks who had the gall to put in his add that he would not pick up tanks. :laughhard: Yep wanted it free and delivered!