Cherry Shrimp Tank

sandnuka

I was expecting a lil 5 or 10 gallon... thats a big tank for lil' shrimp... you need allot of em in there! :)

Looks great though!

Ratlova30

@kaosu- Thanks, I love to watch them. How sturdy are your tigers?I'd love to have a cardina species of shrimp but they're so pricey I'm afraid of killing the delicate little things. I wanna prove to myself I can care for the cheaper guys before I move into it more.

@cuashidor3- Thanks, I bought antraxxs colony.

@Sandnuka- Thanks, that tank is only a 15gal. I had them in a 20gal but it was so packed with rocks and wood I couldn't clean the tank well and started getting some die off so they got moved to a less decorated tank. I agree on needing more cherries. The 20gal they were in has been cleared of some of the decorations and I will be getting yellow shrimp next week! And Malawa! We're gonna see how the malawa handle being in my mothers tank, her betta is pretty chill and malawas are a tad more feisty so I think they'll do okay.

I thought I took better pics until they got put them on the computer. Here's some of them in their previous 20gal.

Kaosu

well mine seem pretty hearty..and they are breeding like bunnies!!

the guy i got them from almost never changed there water (ack) but he went from 20 ish to about 200 in about a year...so I would think they are sturdy little guys.

once i get some more babies witch color ill be selling some ;) cheaper than the pet stores

its funny i never had any luck with the cherries but the tigers are doing great.

Ratlova30

I had a few berried females following the births of little shrimplets until the water quality got skunked by all the trumpet snails ravaging on all the sinking food for the shrimp. I'm hoping with a scenery change these guys will make a comeback.

Ratlova30

Oh kaosu, was reading online about the blue tigers and it said a good portion of the shrimplets will not retain the blue, they'll just have the normal coloring. I'm very interested in just the normal tigers, although a couple blues thrown into the mix would be nice. I just love the way normal tigers look. So anyways just letting you know when the time comes there's interest for any plain tigers that may be born.

Found another shrimp pic

Ratlova30

Thanks, Sounguru might have some for sale. He hasn't been active on this site for a little while now but it wouldn't hurt to send him a pm. Pretty sure at the time he was selling them for a $1 a shrimp.

VsKitchen

pbmaxx has both yellows & malawa shrimp. I'm getting some malawa from him soon. I don't have any more room for shrimp or I'd be getting yellows too! :)

Your tank looks good. I really like shrimp as wet pets - they're such neat little things!

pbmax

Great photos! Looks like an invert paradise. I love shrimp :D

I hope my critters live up to expectations! VsKitchen should be able to report about that on Saturday.

Ratlova30

Thanks! I try and make all my pets happy. With my chronic headaches it's easier for me to have a very understocked tank so that it can manage itself until I get a break from my headaches. I do love having the shrimp. It's nice having a unique critter that isn't hiding all the time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Shrimp look cool but I would always have the desire to feed them to my other fish... :(
Poor shrimp just dont stand a chance at my house.

pbmax

I know what you mean about the hiding part. BOTH of the Cajun Dwarfs in my 29g are out right now. I didn't realize I had 2 in there until last week. :) Unfortunately they're both male. :( I'm lucky if I see one of them in any given week it's so densely planted.

Ratlova30

DMD123 said:
Shrimp look cool but I would always have the desire to feed them to my other fish... :(
Poor shrimp just dont stand a chance at my house.
Ahh come on D, you're hurtin' my shrimps feelings :cry: They said give us a chance dude, we're fun, we're cool, we're active, we'll nom nom whatever you feed us, we'll sit on your finger....

@pbmax- yeah how some critters are so reclusive does suck. Like my plecos, awesome fish, very outgoing when young but once they hit maturity the only time you get to see them is when you first turn on the lights right before they dart for cover. Still they're fun to have.

Regarding plecos - when I drop in algae wafers or zukes, they usually come on out and stay out for a while.

Regarding shrimp, all I have are the red cherries and I just let them do their thing in a 2.5g tank loaded with guppy grass and light. They are really cool little animals.