BUMP ON THE HEAD ?

momsfishn

BUMP ON THE HEAD WHAT IT THE WORLD do you think this is? I have not put new fish in this tank for over 7 mos. He acts fine other than the knot on his head. Could it be hole-in-head disease, and does it take that long to manifest itself? I don't think I've ever seen it before.
100_2118.jpg
[/img]

momsfishn

I really do watch my fish pretty close, I really don't remember seeing it until yesterday. I was thinking tumor at first too. If it's not, I don't want to infect the other fish. :scratch: It's a puzzler for me.

alexmuw

Any living multi-cellular organism can get cancer.

Could also be a bacterial infection. Try doing water changes + salt (try first), and yes Quarantine into a cycled tank.

If you feel adventurous, bacterial infections can be treated with medicated food (try first) or Potassium Permanganate (can buy at pool supply or Lowes, make paste and apply to infected area, wear gloves).

Keep us updated.

Betty

Staff member
I don't think it looks like hole in the head. I have heard of fish getting tumors, but have never seen it myself.

Is it possible that he just bumped his head being chased or chasing another fish? :violent: Is there any type of aggression?

momsfishn

I suppose it could be cancer, but since it can up so quick, I kinda guessed maybe not. Aggression is possible but its just the normal Gourami chase that most of them do, and he is still doing that. It looks about the same today as it did yesterday. He doesn't act like it bothers him at all. I have had him about a year. I have no place to put him right now. My quarantine tank is still in use for the Multies. I have added salt and have considered a dip. We shall see, I guess. :scratch:

momsfishn

Today the bump is almost completely gone. I tried to take some pictures , but he wouldn't stop long enough for a focus picture. So I'm guessing he must have bumped his little head. :lol: I will try again later to get pictures.

Fern

Well fish do bruise so a bump on the head from running into something is quite plausible. Glad to hear he is doing better!

momsfishn

Well the bump is gone , but a pretty big sore or injury seems to have replaced it . He still acts like it doesn't bother him at all.
momsfis-gouramibump016-1.jpg
[/img]

Fern

If it's open treat with some 'wound ease', it will help promote healing and ward off secondary infections. I use it on any fish that are damaged from fighting or mishaps either in QT or in the main tank, its great stuff to help the healing process along.

momsfishn

Ok guys, I'm going to try to post some new picks. I'm pretty sure now that this is probably cancer. If I can get the picture to post, I'd like your opinion. They were taken this morning
100_2245.jpg
[/img]
100_2240.jpg
[/img]

momsfishn

Could be, I'm really not sure. Why do you believe that a cyst is bacterial based. Just curious. It did come up awfully quick for a tumor.
:scratch:

Fern

tumors and cysts look the same but tumors are slow and don't burst, cysts are quick and some burst, same as in us.
As far as them being bacterial I'm digging in my memory some there, you will want to look up fish cysts and see what the experts say. You could probably lance it and apply something directly to it, I have seen that done with salt fish so I'm guessing the same would apply to fresh. Do a lot of surfing and see what info you can find on cysts on fish because my memory is far from fresh on this.

I hope he gets better!!!!!