"Bumblebee Oscar"

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I decided to start this one up to keep updates going on my "Bumblebee Oscar" Astronotus Crassipinnis. This fish came from Wet Spot in Portland and is a wild caught, at about 2 inches in length, that was purchased on Sept. 19, 2021

Always fun to go to the store in person!
IMG_20210919_153141509.jpg
Floating in the tank to start acclimation. Yep that says right $49.99 for a 2" Oscar, it is wild caught and I love how they look as adults.
IMG_20210919_193014447.jpg
First few moments in the tank spent "pouting" at the bottom
IMG_20210919_195557306.jpg
Will use this thread to post updates on the little guy as he grows.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So this is not my first time with a "Bumblebee Oscar" I had one from Rapps TUIC some years back. Here are some reference pics from back then.

Typical Oscar behavior, newly introduced to tank and went to bottom and "pouted", lol
dsc04218 (1).jpg
Grew up to look like this
Chunk1.jpeg
Chunk2.jpeg

There was some discussions on another site between myself and another person who has this same Oscar from Rapps at the same time.

Thought it was interesting what Kevin (new owner) from TUIC had to say about the fish, then and now ideas, so I quoted it and posted it here for any interested in the subject.

"an admin asked me to check out this topic and asked if I would please comment on the 'bumblebee' oscar.
so here you are ;)
The real 'bumblebee oscar' is Astronotus crassipinnis. Yes, Astronotus cf. obicularis used to be marketed as the bumblebee. At the time these were being distributed then that was the accepted species name and bumblebee was the hobby name that was associated with. However, because of science.. obicularis has since that time become an invalid species. A. obicularis was redescribed as A. crassipinnis. so obicularis IS crasspinnis. Same fish. Reallyu not much else to say on that. That is what it is.

While on the topic of oscars. Astronotus rubrocellatus is also no longer a valid species as they too have be reassigned and are the same fish as Astronotus ocellatus.
At this time(and its been so for some time now) only two species of oscar exist. A. ocellatus and A. crassipinnis. Aside from some minor geographical population subtleties each is fairly easy to tell one from the other. Especially when you've handled literally thousands of each species of all sizes.

Along with taking over TUIC I also took all of the rights to the 30,000+ photos Jeff had documented of every species he ever imported over 30 years. SO I have hundreds of oscar photos with locations to browse through. I havent seen anything that jumps out as "hey thats different" or at least different enough to be something entirely new or different and get me excited enough to want to go through the trouble and thousands of dollars to get a specific one in. ocellatus look like ocellatus and crassipinnis look like crassipinnis with maybe some minor color differences or a few extra or a few less spots. In 2019 I was gifted a group of massive wild crassipinnis that were Jeffs original breeding group. They were giant and very, very old. I ended up selling the group in late 2020. they looked and were no different than the current stock. he had gotten them in and marketed them way back as Astronotus obicularis rio araguaia which is now Astronotus crassipinnis rio araguaia. same fish, same river, same exporter only a decade later we had science change the name.

As far as my bumblebees being different... not very likely as they are the same fish from the same source from the same river. Juveniles however, look significantly different from adults. So when comparing my juveniles to an adult yes, they look different. my larger ones look like all other bumblebees as they should because, well.. its the same fish..
ALL, yes I said ALL of the wild crasspinnis currently being exported out of Brazil come from 1 source.

like human sibling or other relatives.. some are good looking some are uglier lol.. same with fish even within the same population. once in a private aquarium environment. care, conditions, food, all come onto play as to the appearance of the fish."

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So this is not my time with a "Bumblebee Oscar" I had one from Rapps TUIC some years back. Here are some reference pics from back then.

Typical Oscar behavior, newly introduced to tank and went to bottom and "pouted", lol
View attachment 10125
Grew up to look like this
View attachment 10126
View attachment 10127

There was some discussions on another site between myself and another person who has this same Oscar from Rapps at the same time.

Thought it was interesting what Kevin (new owner) from TUIC had to say about the fish, then and now ideas, so I quoted it and posted it here for any interested in the subject.

"an admin asked me to check out this topic and asked if I would please comment on the 'bumblebee' oscar.
so here you are ;)
The real 'bumblebee oscar' is Astronotus crassipinnis. Yes, Astronotus cf. obicularis used to be marketed as the bumblebee. At the time these were being distributed then that was the accepted species name and bumblebee was the hobby name that was associated with. However, because of science.. obicularis has since that time become an invalid species. A. obicularis was redescribed as A. crassipinnis. so obicularis IS crasspinnis. Same fish. Reallyu not much else to say on that. That is what it is.

While on the topic of oscars. Astronotus rubrocellatus is also no longer a valid species as they too have be reassigned and are the same fish as Astronotus ocellatus.
At this time(and its been so for some time now) only two species of oscar exist. A. ocellatus and A. crassipinnis. Aside from some minor geographical population subtleties each is fairly easy to tell one from the other. Especially when you've handled literally thousands of each species of all sizes.

Along with taking over TUIC I also took all of the rights to the 30,000+ photos Jeff had documented of every species he ever imported over 30 years. SO I have hundreds of oscar photos with locations to browse through. I havent seen anything that jumps out as "hey thats different" or at least different enough to be something entirely new or different and get me excited enough to want to go through the trouble and thousands of dollars to get a specific one in. ocellatus look like ocellatus and crassipinnis look like crassipinnis with maybe some minor color differences or a few extra or a few less spots. In 2019 I was gifted a group of massive wild crassipinnis that were Jeffs original breeding group. They were giant and very, very old. I ended up selling the group in late 2020. they looked and were no different than the current stock. he had gotten them in and marketed them way back as Astronotus obicularis rio araguaia which is now Astronotus crassipinnis rio araguaia. same fish, same river, same exporter only a decade later we had science change the name.

As far as my bumblebees being different... not very likely as they are the same fish from the same source from the same river. Juveniles however, look significantly different from adults. So when comparing my juveniles to an adult yes, they look different. my larger ones look like all other bumblebees as they should because, well.. its the same fish..
ALL, yes I said ALL of the wild crasspinnis currently being exported out of Brazil come from 1 source.

like human sibling or other relatives.. some are good looking some are uglier lol.. same with fish even within the same population. once in a private aquarium environment. care, conditions, food, all come onto play as to the appearance of the fish."
I just want updated pics ( 3-4 times a week ) on your new one

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just want updated pics ( 3-4 times a week ) on your new one
At the rate he can eat, he will be growing fast! His look will change drastically at this point, his little lined up dots should start becoming his banding pattern.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was looking at older pics from Rapps TUIC back in the day of the ‘bumblebee’. Hope mine has some good looking banding like these.
296D0376-0DE5-4F7F-B46B-8CE075701BF4.jpeg85A24189-ECD7-4C64-BF66-E9DC9B556A05.jpeg01E5F1B6-9F82-4F66-9FB0-DA331B7E7EEB.jpeg98BE4ACE-A2B4-4747-B289-91E052382473.jpeg
Not sure if these pics are up anywhere on the internet anymore, I found them on a old post here on the Fishbox posted around 2014 I think.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Your new guy appears to have far more black… I think it will turn out very nice even if it has thin marbling all over…. You could name it wagyu

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Your new guy appears to have far more black… I think it will turn out very nice even if it has thin marbling all over…. You could name it wagyu
That made me laugh! This especially fits since my last Pearsei was named Porkchop.

This little guy is pretty dark but head area looks lighter. I really have a hard time believing this is a wild caught fish. It is so interactive with me when it comes feeding time and does the ‘feed me’ dance when it sees me. But watching it in store with other fish, it was highly aggressive toward the other oscar and the other cichlid tankmates. Will see what happens when its a bit older and gets moved to the cursed tank. Im thinking to put the light substrate from the 65 in that 90 and maybe put the dark stuff in the 65. I hope the move doesn’t change this oscar, its got a great personality.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
That made me laugh! This especially fits since my last Pearsei was named Porkchop.

This little guy is pretty dark but head area looks lighter. I really have a hard time believing this is a wild caught fish. It is so interactive with me when it comes feeding time and does the ‘feed me’ dance when it sees me. But watching it in store with other fish, it was highly aggressive toward the other oscar and the other cichlid tankmates. Will see what happens when its a bit older and gets moved to the cursed tank. Im thinking to put the light substrate from the 65 in that 90 and maybe put the dark stuff in the 65. I hope the move doesn’t change this oscar, its got a great personality.
I’m sure it will adjust, but honestly… I would probably just leave the substrates until it’s larger

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am researching pleco to find a good species to go with this oscar but not get too big. Currently the oscar is sharing space with a gold spot sailfin (L001) and thats fine for now but this is a pleco that hits 12”. Im looking for suggestions for something the oscar cant eat as an adult but a good algae eater and clean up fish.

I was thinking a spotted medusa… any other ideas?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think any of the ancistrus sp. would work. Blue line are pretty.
It seem like some stay smaller... thats why I was looking at the spotted medusa that can get up to about 7" and they are pretty wide so likely not get eaten.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have kept my big oscars with adult BN plecos in the past with zero issues. I think once oscars growout of their rambunctious “teen years”, they are really mellow fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have kept my big oscars with adult BN plecos in the past with zero issues. I think once oscars growout of their rambunctious “teen years”, they are really mellow fish.
My adult BN has been feisty with the smaller trimac tank mates but was pretty shy with that big trimac. My hope would be that the Oscar would not try and eat it…

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My adult BN has been feisty with the smaller trimac tank mates but was pretty shy with that big trimac. My hope would be that the Oscar would not try and eat it…
My female is close to 6” long and 1.5-2” wide…. No way an Oscar would eat her…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My female is close to 6” long and 1.5-2” wide…. No way an Oscar would eat her…
I actually saw my male the other day and Im thinking he might do okay. He is pretty big. I want to bring in my hoplo cat which is fine at the moment but the oscar is growing fast and might not keep pace with the oscar and could possibly be ate. Plus not sure how it will do solo.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The little oscar is just outrageous as it does its feed me dance. Still cant believe this is a wild caught fish. I dont even remember my old F2 being this hyper. That one did become a glass banger but no where near as interactive as my current one.