Breeding tank setups - substrate

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Fish Discussion' started by julzhull, Jun 13, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. julzhull

julzhull Well-Known Member

What do you use for substrate in your breeding tanks, if any?

I have plecos and guppies in a tank with some course sand and I'm finding that I hate the sand in there. Not fun to clean. I'm thinking of just doing some gravel like I have in some of my planted tanks. I do have plants in this tank, thinking of putting them in pots so it's easier to take them out and catch fish.

Loren likes this.
  3. clownie

clownie Well-Known Member

I just run bare in most breeding tanks. Makes them easier to clean and if I have too remove fry/eggs. For looks you could put down a really thin layer of sand/gravel with the plants in pots.

Loren and julzhull like this.
  4. julzhull

A thin layer of gravel is an idea. Something easy to clean would be really really nice. The guppies/plecos are a messy bunch.

Loren likes this.
  5. clownie

clownie Well-Known Member

Yeah plecos are...I have a really thin layer of blasting sand in my L129 tank but they poop it up so quick i am thinking of removing it this weekend.

julzhull and Loren like this.
  6. L190

L190 Well-Known Member

i go with bare bottom with my set ups

julzhull and Loren like this.
  7. Loren

Loren Well-Known Member

I hate bare bottom tanks but finally capitulated for breeding bristlenose plecos. I do have pieces of wood in there though with java fern and anubias attached. I breed my guppies though in heavily planted tanks.

julzhull likes this.
  8. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member Staff Member

I agree with @Loren -- I hate bare bottom, but my pleco tanks are impossible to get really clean with any kind of substrate. So much poop. :poo

Also, if you are feeding fry, it's easy to overfeed and substrate would harbor that powdery food and before you know it -- worms! :eek:

Because I hate the look of bare bottom, I used to keep a thin layer of sand and would siphon it out with the poop, rinse it and put it back in, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Loren and julzhull like this.
  9. julzhull

Haven't seen worms but I've got loads of pond snails in there which I'm sure are cleaning them up. That's partially why I want to clean out the sand, get rid of the pond snails. They're havoc on my plants.

I think I can try a thin layer of gravel. Should be easier to clean than sand at any rate.

Loren likes this.
  10. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member Staff Member

Let us know how it goes. I haven't used gravel in a long time, but if it's easy to clean a thin layer, might consider using some in one of the pleco tanks. I have millions of little shrimp in the other and don't think anything will work on the bottom of that tank. (I wish I could spray paint the inside of the glass.) :)

Loren likes this.
  11. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

Wow. Now that's a bunch of work!

Loren likes this.
  12. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

Of all the substrates I've ever used, I like the nice round gravel - like pebbles. It comes in a large size and a smaller size and I mix them together. When you're vacuuming the substrate, the dirt / goo / poo releases like a dream, right up that hose. I have coarse gravel in the 29 Gallon in the living room and it vacuums up OK, but not as cleanly as the round gravel. If I ever redo that tank - which will surely happen at some point - that sharp black gravel is GOING.

And if I've not said it enough - don't buy that dang Seachem Flourish! GAWD what a mess that crap is! It's a clay sheet-show! I mixed some in with my gravel combo and I think I'm slowly sucking it all up when I'm vacuuming Tank's tank.

13. julzhull

I don't mind the flourish. I've had it in a couple tanks. It's in my shrimp tank. It's a planted tank though and I don't mess with the gravel too much. It must be working ok because the shrimp seem happy.

14. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

It's so messy to me.

Yeah don't dig around in there or you've got clay clods on your hands - or tube. LOL

15. julzhull

You mean Seachem Fluorite, right? That's not the one that's supposed to disintegrate so I'm not getting why yours gets clay like. That's strange.

16. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

I hate this stuff. HATE. IT. SO. MUCH.