Black Friday FX6 Deal! $170 at Petsmart

Tank

Does anyone know why John Hudson says he wishes the FX6 came with a 3rd AquaStop Valve for water changes and how one would use a 3rd valve in that case?

Tank

Lol my bad, the guy from KGtropicals idk if I'm allowed to post this vid link here but if I'm not someone can just delete it.

L190

i am assuming so you can divert the water to outside the tank without moving your output hose. There is a purge output you can do something like that, but you'll have to use gravity instead of the pump to release water

Tank

I suppose you're right it'd be a quicker way of draining your tank for a WC but wouldn't be able to vac gravel that way. :/

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The FX5 came with a third aquastop valve. It was to be used to do water changes. You were to turn the filter off and shut both the valves off. Then you took the 3rd valve with a drain hose attached to it and plug it into the out and reopened the filter valves and powered it back on. It was basically just using the filter to pump the water out.

I watched the fluval gravel vac video for the FX4/6 (could also be done on the 5) and was not super impressed with the fact you are basically just sucking all the junk through a filter sock and causing all the standing debris inside the filter to get pushed back into the filter media. I would be tempted to open up that lower valve for a while to purge all that crap out first before using it as a gravel vac.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This year was a huge disappointment from the online vendors I normally shop.

One would do free shipping at $25 in the past. This year they did 20% off (maxed amount $5 off) but you had to spend $75. this was pretty lame compared to the $6.99 to $8.99 discount for the shipping in the past.

Another company did a $50 gift card if you spent $125. Not bad actually since last year it was something like $100 gift card with a $250 purchase. But sadly not much was reduced in price.

The big winner seemed to be Petsmart this year with the tank and filter deals. The buy online and pickup in store is a nice option.

Cole

I picked up a couple of Aquaclear 110's for $59.99 each + 10% off with free shipping. Also, bought enough stuff to qualify for the $50 gift card for spending over $125 at the other site.

Tank

I bought 3rd aquastop valve to rush the water change after using the python to vac, lol I hope I dont regret it.

Cole

I usually just drop a big power head and attach it to my garden hose, pump it out to the driveway.

I do the same thing, except I use a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One submersible pump and just pump it down the drain. I might try and feed it through my basement egress window next spring/summer. I know my grass would love it and it's "free" water...lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Soooo there is nothing wrong with my FX6 HOWEVER I just realized that the receipt that came with it says fx5... Should I be worried? What if something happens and I need to use the warranty but my receipt says fx5?! o_O
As long as the date falls within warranty you should be fine. I dont think I have read of any instances where a person has has to repair an FX6 under warranty....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I bought an fx6 but have not used it yet. I am wondering if I should just sell it
Expensive item to have sitting around unused. I have three fx6 on the 300g and have two spare fx5's as backup so I totally saw a need to at least sell one if not both. They are pretty dependable and have never left me hanging. Should be able to sell that fx6 for at least what you put into it and maybe make $50 off it.