Betta Pics here!

BallardFishGuy

Since we don't have a betta area I thought I would start a post on betas...you can post pictures of ones you want or talk anything betta...

I'll start with a fish I love and was thinking about bidding on until I found out the local transhipper is no longer an available option.

These guys Storybettas have some amazing Bettas.  They are out of Thailand and have many bids via Aquabid.  This one is more reasonable at $20 bid...so far that is.

http://66.221.203.48/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1380243201

fwbettashmp1378127886.jpg

Cichlid-Gal also had a great link to a marbled betta! Maybe she will post it!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I am in the market for another bowel. When I set it up I am totally going to get one of these fish that you guys have been posting the last couple of days.

At Aquarium CoOp they have a huge piece of Java Fern Needleleaf. Within that bunch Cory has Strawberry Beta swimming throughout that plant. That in itself is an awesome set up... I would love to do that with a giant piece of fern in a 2 -3 gallon bowel...

BallardFishGuy

fishNAbowl said:
Yeah, I am in the market for another bowel. When I set it up I am totally going to get one of these fish that you guys have been posting the last couple of days.

At Aquarium CoOp they have a huge piece of Java Fern Needleleaf. Within that bunch Cory has Strawberry Beta swimming throughout that plant. That in itself is an awesome set up... I would love to do that with a giant piece of fern in a 2 -3 gallon bowel...
Yeah I've seen it, i have a similar size regular java fern and thought about doing the same thing! Also those Betta's were offspring from the Strawberry betta's me and a few other GSAS members bought from Cory, I'm almost ready to sell my fry/juvis. Just wait until they get a bit bigger.

A

Anonymous

And that's how this community works. Awesome BallardFishGuy!

Gianne00

Aquabid is so dangerous for me lol, it's hard to keep my finger away from the bid button when there's a really good one :) Keep the eye candy coming!

I agree, the koi bettas are really gorgeous. Hopefully more people will breed them here in the states!

BallardFishGuy

So on the bid at the top of the thread here I didn't end up bidding...(there is 7 min left) because I contacted the sellar from Thailand and he said (which I had heard) that Jeff Wilson who is the transhipper listed for WA is no longer doing that. Good thing I asked because I was planning on picking up the fish and not having to pay another $20-30 in shipping from the transhipper. So I'm glad I asked but I would have liked to own that fish...someone else snag it quick!

cichlid-gal

BallardFishGuy said:
Ok and while I'm at it, here is the other one I want...

Betta Macrostoma

Betta-macrostoma-male3.jpg
This is one special fish and was the first wild caught betta that caught my eye. IMO you want to make sure you are getting tank raised specimens of this one as apparently in Brunei its export has been banned because of its endangered status and fears that it might become extinct shortly. There is another collection point that is not regulated but again it would not be worth the risk to look for WC of these as really you would never know if you are contributing to their extinction or not.

From readings only I have gleened that like splendins, males need to be housed seperately as they can be quite aggressive but you can do a female sorority (like the splendins also). PH needs appear to be extremely low indicating in the 4's and 5's ranges.

BallardFishGuy

Good to know thanks!  I read that they were threatened but regardless I would try and get them locally. I'm sure the Wet Spot has them from time to time same with the Rubra.

I was quickly looking over info on this fish on Seriously Fish and didn't remember reading about the males needing separated and the really low PH, I'll dig into that more.  I go to Portland for work in two weeks and so that means a trip to the Wet Spot, my credit card is burning my wallet as we speak.:lol

KaraWolf

I went through aquabid cause I was bored and BallardFishGuy....that koi betta is beautiful and the ones that are for sale right now don't even compare. To me it feels like there are way too many translucent scales/fins lol

Found several females that would be awesome in my imaginary 30 gallon hex tank. And speaking of that imaginary tank, how many females would be an appropriate # for a tank that size?

Annnd....betta pictures.
This is General who passed away recently :( but this just after I got him and he decided to show his "hiding" side lol Finally got him a cave because he was hiding in his own gravel....visitors thought he was dead.
Photo137_zpseab7934b.jpg

General in his cave looking very much like steel
20120801_151148_zps147ca855.jpg

This is Admiral sadly also died at 2~ years in my care but he was spunky and liked to bite my fingers (taught him fingers meant dinner) there's a better picture somewhere <<
DSCF0296_zps3d9d2583.jpg

And here is the red and black one I sooooo wish I had bought
120329_0001_zps41d6d714.jpg

I have 3 others too, Halo a pink/white halfmoon male, Sargent Fire an orange veiltail and The Troublemaker who I am still debating the name of, other then it needs "trouble" in it because before I put in a "real" divider he would ram it and then prance around showing off in Sargent Fire's tank space and get bit but not bite back lol. Tried something new in their tank last night - put in a sponge filter and added less then 1/4 inch of water Over the divider to get the biofilm to quit forming (it was only clearing 1/2 the tank with the divider in the way) and what do I see when I check on them maybe an hour after I set it up that way? They have BOTH crossed the divider in that tiny snippet of water and are now separate still but on the wrong sides.

A

Anonymous

Neat KaraWolf, aren't white Betta had to find? I never see them.