Balloon Ram?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
"It's important to share our failures as well as our successes" - Steenfott Aquatics @Bob

So one balloon ram got a wicked strange big cancer-style bump on his snoot and I put him the freezer. He was clearly in distress. (I want someone to put ME in the freezer when this happens to me.)

There's a second one now that's looks kind of wonky now - breathing heavily - small bump on the noggin - but is hanging in there so far since I saw it on Monday night.

After these RAMs go - I think I'm done with RAMs. The water parameters are spot on, it's 81 degrees in there - so everything else is in a hot tub - and ugh. I guess I'm sad.

julzhull

I wonder if the fact that they were balloon rams made them more susceptible for something like cancer. :(

Have you tried a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides? They're pretty fun.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I wonder if the fact that they were balloon rams made them more susceptible for something like cancer. :(

Have you tried a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides? They're pretty fun.

Probably. The one that was sick was floating when I got home. Boo.

Next "centerpiece" fish choice is going to be REALLY EVALUATED -- not just me going into the shop and buying the cutest thing I see.

julzhull

Next "centerpiece" fish choice is going to be REALLY EVALUATED -- not just me going into the shop and buying the cutest thing I see.
What else do you have in there? I can't remember.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
What else do you have in there? I can't remember.

1 Amazon Puffer, 12 Red Fin Tetras, 10 Rummy Nose Tetras, 2 Balloon Cichlids - that look good, 4 some kind of giant tetra I can't remember the damn name of them.... I think it begins with a C, 1 giant catfish (Eclipse Catfish) - 1 rubber mouth pleco, 3 SAE, and one lone threadfin tetra with no girlfriends. :-( They "disappeared")

julzhull

You could do a mild mannered gourami. Cory has a few that he suggests. I think maybe honey or sunset gouramis. And powder blue. They stay relatively small and stand out with their color. He keeps them both in stock generally.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Soooo now we're down to TWO Balloon Rams -- from five. The two that are left look good - for now - and are as cute as a button. lol They're eating, they're cave guarding, I dunno what's going on in there..............

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thinking that next buy is going to be: Apistogramma Cacatuoides

Even if it's only because I like saying it out loud.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well, RIP sweet Balloon Puffers. The last two have gone on to their great reward. One was floating this morning and the other looked to be right behind him, so I took care of bidness.

I know the rest of the tank peeps were squealing, "Thank God! Now maybe that biotch will turn the HEAT DOWN in here!"

And so I did. No more 80 degree fish.

julzhull

Well, RIP sweet Balloon Puffers. The last two have gone on to their great reward. One was floating this morning and the other looked to be right behind him, so I took care of bidness.

I know the rest of the tank peeps were squealing, "Thank God! Now maybe that biotch will turn the HEAT DOWN in here!"

And so I did. No more 80 degree fish.
Oh that's too bad :( So strange you lost them all.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Oddly enough, the water change - major 40% - got the Congo Tetras going whackadoodle....spawning like crazy today...LOL

...and the rummy nose tetras are eating Congo Tetra eggs like it's a Country Buffet......

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Interesting! I forget about Congos, that used to be one that I wanted.

I think I might get some more. They've deftly avoided the jaws of Mr. Magic and when they color up after a water change, they really are pretty amazing looking.