Aulonocara Babies~ Sunshine / Orange Shoulder

AE86-Danny

I had a male Orange shoulder, mate with a Sunshine and she is now holding and not eating.

my Yellow electric is about to spit her babies here soon when she spits ill put the Sunshine peacock into the Maternity tank.

stay tuned for Yellow electric fry and Sunshine/Orange shoulder aulonocaras!

Betty

Staff member
I know it's tough to do, especially when you are new to the breeding and it's so exciting, but the best thing to do with fish that have crossbred is to let them spit the fry in the tank and hope there are no survivors. I speak from experience and have learned this the hard way. :cry:

AE86-Danny

Betty said:
I know it's tough to do, especially when you are new to the breeding and it's so exciting, but the best thing to do with fish that have crossbred is to let them spit the fry in the tank and hope there are no survivors. I speak from experience and have learned this the hard way. :cry:

naa i wanna see what they look like. i imagine they would look really cool being that they are atleast same species, and close in color.
if there are some really cool colored males im gonna keep em for myself.

if not they can be someones fish food or something.

sandnuka

A hybrid fan.... I honestly dont have any problem with hybrids.... I personally havent owned one, thought about getting a flowerhorn a few times, but never made the leap...... anyway, good luck with the fish....

for the sake of the hobby, dont sell them though.... then further down the line people will be selling sunshines with unclean genes and nothing would make me crazier than finding out my fish wasnt a pure bread.

AE86-Danny

sandnuka said:
A hybrid fan.... I honestly dont have any problem with hybrids.... I personally havent owned one, thought about getting a flowerhorn a few times, but never made the leap...... anyway, good luck with the fish....

for the sake of the hobby, dont sell them though.... then further down the line people will be selling sunshines with unclean genes and nothing would make me crazier than finding out my fish wasnt a pure bread.

well im not exactly a "Fan" of hybrids. i wouldn't go that far with it.
but i do like the idea of playing around with 2 peacock mixs.

Think about the wild. There are all kinds of different peacocks in the same area. mating and mixing and matching.
how do you think we got the different types today?

I won't say that i wont sell any.. if some look awesome ill post em up, but i will for sure let the buyer know without a doubt
that the fish are peacock mix. Orange/Sunshine.

I really just want a few extra colorful males out of it :)

Betty

Staff member
sandnuka said:
This is what happened to me. :evil: I have paid good money on a few occasions for fish (locally) that I expected to be the species I was told they were, only to find out they were hybrids!! And because I can't pass them on to anyone else and won't euthanize them, I'm stuck with them -- and they live for many years! Even if you tell the person you sell or give them to that they are hybrid, that person could still pass them on to others and it just goes from there. The Aulonocara all look so similar when they are immature and the females are difficult to tell apart even when full size adults. Especially for beginners.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to grow a few out and see how they turn out -- I've done this myself -- but I hope you don't decide to sell them.

In the wild they do not mix and match the way they would in an aquarium.

Madness

Staff member
Betty said:
sandnuka said:
This is what happened to me. :evil: I have paid good money on a few occasions for fish (locally) that I expected to be the species I was told they were, only to find out they were hybrids!! And because I can't pass them on to anyone else and won't euthanize them, I'm stuck with them -- and they live for many years! Even if you tell the person you sell or give them to that they are hybrid, that person could still pass them on to others and it just goes from there. The Aulonocara all look so similar when they are immature and the females are difficult to tell apart even when full size adults. Especially for beginners.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to grow a few out and see how they turn out -- I've done this myself -- but I hope you don't decide to sell them.

In the wild they do not mix and match the way they would in an aquarium.
this is the exact same thing I preach when it comes to hybridizing CA. JUST DONT DO IT. (dont sell them or give them away) You may be responsible and acknowledge that they are a mix, but someone else more than likely will not, and before you know it. Its all screwed up.

This here is some of the exact main reasons why I dont support our LFS and buy their fish. Not because the store owner is selling the hybrids, but that the store owner is selling a hybrid that he/she has know idea that they are a hybrid because so many out there are doing this.

I do like APFP because Kevin only takes in fish from reputable breeders.

AE86-Danny

Well you guys can hate hybrids, and i agree they shouldnt be in the hobby at all.

but i am going to grow out the babies for as long as it takes to see what they look like.

i cant justify just "killing them off" or "Letting her spit into the tank and hoping they die"
thats just ridiculous.

I just think about what is happening in the wild. you got all sorts of types of peacocks mating.

in my eyes, Hybrid fish are something like Aulonocara mating with a Labidochromis.
that is complete Hybrid.

but Aulonocara / Aulonocara isnt a hybrid. its just not a pure fish. its still 100% aulonocara.
so the word hybrid cannot be used.

That is like taking a German and an American and saying they are "hybrids"
they are still gonna be white.

you guys sound like hitler of the fish world!

if they look good im keeping them!
if they look bad they will end up fish food.

Betty

Staff member
Aulonocara is the genus. Mixing two different species, even of the same genus, is cross breeding and producing hybrids.

Americans and Germans are the same species (Homo sapiens) so it's not comparable.

Am I wrong? :study:

Zerc

Betty said:
Aulonocara is the genus. Mixing two different species, even of the same genus, is cross breeding and producing hybrids.

Americans and Germans are the same species (Homo sapiens) so it's not comparable.

Am I wrong? :study:
You are correct.

AE86-Danny

lol whatever.

im keeping them. so there.
if they are beautiful i will only brag :)
if they are ugly well.. youll never hear about em again ahah

sandnuka

I know a few people that love creating hybrids, they call me any other purists hippys.... You will get 90% of hobbyist that disagree with you, and wont be excited about the new sub species youve created, but its your tank, your hobby, do what you will. :p

Madness

Staff member
Create your hybrids and enjoy them. Just keep them away from spreading. If you want the hybrid, keep it. As soon as you sell it or give it away, it changes.

10 years from now I want to buy an Aul. Jacobfreibergi. What? What do you mean they dont exist? Everyone is crossbreeding? Well I want a true, pure Jacob. Great, they dont exist anymore in the hobby. :(

Have fun and enjoy. And having her spit them out in the tank, is no big freakin deal. Seriously?

AE86-Danny

madness said:
Create your hybrids and enjoy them. Just keep them away from spreading. If you want the hybrid, keep it. As soon as you sell it or give it away, it changes.

10 years from now I want to buy an Aul. Jacobfreibergi. What? What do you mean they dont exist? Everyone is crossbreeding? Well I want a true, pure Jacob. Great, they dont exist anymore in the hobby. :(

Have fun and enjoy. And having her spit them out in the tank, is no big freakin deal. Seriously?

Its not a big deal to let her spit them in the tank no, but to HOPE they die. thats crazy talk.
or to simply kill off a whole batch before seeing what they look like. How stupid is that?
You realize in the wild what is taking place right? how do you think we have so many different species today?
its simple. They mix and match in the wild, just like what has taken place in my tank.
Nature has happened, why would i destroy it?

like i said before, its not like they are different types of fish, they are in the same family, both aulonocara's
what is the worst that can happen? they come out with some duller colors? i have 2 sub dominates in my tank that dont show colors anyways.
and i have 3 females swimming around with no colors aswell.

i agree that i shouldn't create a bunch of hybrids and sell them off as "pure" breeds. thats kinda messed up.
but what you guys are suggesting is far worse. just because you guys dont agree with hybrids.

What i don't understand is why would you kill off a batch and not even see what they look like.
why not grow them out for a month or 2 just to see the potential?

AE86-Danny

sandnuka said:
I know a few people that love creating hybrids, they call me any other purists hippys.... You will get 90% of hobbyist that disagree with you, and wont be excited about the new sub species youve created, but its your tank, your hobby, do what you will. :p

Indeed.
If 90% of the hobby is against hybrids, then 90% of the hobby should be against just about all of the fish in todays society.

Zerc

hybrids do not breed true.

if a horse was sold as a quarterhorse but it was later discovered to be 1/8 draft horse, what do you think the buyer would have to say about that?

the same goes with any of the above mentioned species.
having a hybrid isnt a problem, its the selling it, and then the next person selling it as a true breed of a species it resembles but is in fact not.
or even worse, that buyer breeding said hybrid and selling the offspring as pure bloods. You can see where that is headed.

nobody really cares if you have hybrids or not, we just dont want the pure bloods to be wiped out by irresponsible breeding.