Attention planted tank keepers...........

Caton

This is what roy posted on TPT

**FREE Aquarium Plant Lecture by Tom Barr** - Presented by GSAS

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased to sponsor a free lecture on aquarium plants by the internationally known aquarist, author (TFH, TAG, FAMA), speaker, and aquarium plant guru ......Tom Barr. Mr Barr has focused his efforts on planted aquariums and aquarium plants since 1989. In addition to teaching, Tom owns a business that designs and maintains aquascaped planted aquariums in the San Francisco area. He also owns and writes for the www.BarrReport.com a planted aquarium web site.

The lecture will be next Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 at 7:30PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West

Doors will open around 7:10PM; the meeting will start at about 7:30PM

The lecture will be followed by a short auction

Open to the public, no entrance fee
Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building, no furry or feathered pets
Go to GSAS.ORG for more information and directions

A

Anonymous

Yeah I talked to him on APC and he told me 7:30. I dident tell him I was going to post this on washingtons largest fish forum....... so he's probably gonna beat me up in a few hours. By the way I will be the guy in the grey drivers cap getting the snot beat out of him by Roy.

Salzabar

It was a great presentation by Mr. Barr with a nice powerpoint and some Q & A afterwards. The auction was very long but well worth it since the plants were OUTSTANDING! I have never seen an Amazon so big outside of a tank. It was so big it came to the meeting in 2 plastic garbage bags. Also Steve with the cool shrimp from Japan was nice and welcoming to the club. AS a matter of fact everyone was so nice to me that I decided to join and see how much I can learn from everyone.
Yell out if you were there (I'm sure I saw a gray drivers cap sitting in front of me)

Jacko

Was there, was awesome! Definitely the best one I've been to yet... I was the one over with Jimmy... we kept getting told to hush by phil during the auction :p

Betty

Staff member
Jacko said:
Was there, was awesome! Definitely the best one I've been to yet... I was the one over with Jimmy... we kept getting told to hush by phil during the auction :p
I was behind you.

I enjoyed the presentation and think I learned that I'm not going to be able to keep any plants alive. What Tom Barr called his low light tank seemed to be brighter than anything I have. I guess I've been trying to grow mine in the dark. :lol: No light, no CO2 -- I should have bid on those plastic plants.

Driving back to Tacoma was an absolute nightmare on I-5, with three lanes closed and repaving going on. Two nights in a row now I didn't get back home until approx 2 AM. :sleep:

Jacko

Haha, I know who you are now!

Not really... brief mention of how expensive they are, but that was it I think.

sandnuka

I really wish i wouldve gone to this.... I have so much goin on this week with the group buy... We have 9 participants in this one this time!!! its awesome!!!

So many cool fish are being ordered... anyway, I will hopefully catch the next lecture... I really really wanted to go to that konings lecture more than anything though. :(

Jtang

Betty said:
I enjoyed the presentation and think I learned that I'm not going to be able to keep any plants alive. What Tom Barr called his low light tank seemed to be brighter than anything I have. I guess I've been trying to grow mine in the dark. :lol: No light, no CO2 -- I should have bid on those plastic plants.
You should be able to grow lights, these are the bulbs that i use that i replaced the incandescent bulbs (that yellow tint-ish color) that the hood came with my 10 gallon.
IMG_5688.jpg

I used the ones on the right (about $6), the corallife kinda suck & were weaker.

I do have eco-complete subtrate though, and have added Excel a few times (but not consistently) but over time the plants should adapt to survive, it just might take a while.

Here is a picture of mine after 9 months
IMG_5899.jpg

sidekicking

Oh man I totally miss this meeting
I came home from work and didn't feel like leaving lol but I will try to make it to the next one

cafman

Meeting was awesome. I joined the club but won't get to go back until at least December. Didn't get home till 2am thanks to road construction. Not sure how I'm still going on only 4 hours sleep. My teenager was going to come with me but had to study for a chemistry test. Glad I didn't keep him out till 2am.
I got some plants for my and my son's tank. We'll see how long it takes me to kill them.
Cafman

A

Anonymous

I was there (drivers cap) it was a really good lecture tom seemed to have a bit of a scatter brain but he did a great job anyway. I got a 550 dollar ticket on the way home and dident get back to tacoma till 2 am and had to get up for work at 4:45. I dident even put the plants I had bought in the tank untill after work the next wed. But they are all doing well. it was fun. I love going to there meetings and will join next time I go. There was a brand new member to the club that eon the door prize of a gravel vac sitting right behind me.

i won that prize, it was my second meeting other than the plant auction last april i think, i plan on attending others as the people there were really friendly

Salzabar

Thanks to Anthony for this thread for which I never would have found GSAS. I signed up that night and I'm happy to report my first discount using my membership card (the Fish Store on Roosevelt in Seattle). Now I have access to all the past videos and newsletters which has been keeping me up all night reading in bed with Southpark season "whatever" playing in the background ( My wife and I go to sleep to Southpark every night, demented? Maybe!) I even had the pleasure to see myself sitting in the audience during the Q&A portion of Tom Barr's presentation-proof to my loving wife that I was there just by clicking the video of Sept. 14th meeting. Pretty neat for a simple guy like me. I was the one sitting in center back row black pants and dark blue button up shirt (my uni from work). Hope to see more of you all at the next meeting Oct 12th. Might be a good chance to make formal introductions to the newbies on our forum (me).

Betty

Staff member
I always forget to show my card for the discounts. :x

Salzabar, I didn't see anyone who looked like they were 98 years old. :tongue: