At a crossroads... downsize time? / Remodel updates

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Its official, just purchased my 300g from customaquariums.com. They are about 12 weeks out which is fine with me since my new home remodel is at least six weeks out still if all goes well. Sounds huge but the reality is it is my 210g with another 2 feet added on to it, so no big deal. i mean we all have 8 foot tanks, right? lol

Betty

Staff member
Is that the front door that's near where the tank will be? You'll see that big 8 ft. tank when you walk through the door? Are you going to add any kind of plumbing for water changes?

Congrats on selling the house so quickly. I know that must be a load off of your mind!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
Is that the front door that's near where the tank will be? You'll see that big 8 ft. tank when you walk through the door? Are you going to add any kind of plumbing for water changes?

Congrats on selling the house so quickly. I know that must be a load off of your mind!

The tank will be to the right when you come in the front door. I did not do any plumbing but this is the first time I have a utility sink and it is pretty close to the tank. Very happy to have sold off the home quickly!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Edit done to show you guys the REAL before picture. Before any tree was removed and anything done yet.
108bup1.jpg

Been waiting for better pics to do a before and after but this is a bit of the progress on the front of the home.

Before photo, notice old roof with no shape (tent roof was done to make covered porch), door in corner, 10ft front window and of course big bush covering front window.

After photo, new roof, fake gable above porch to create shape, door moved, 6ft window will go in where 10ft one was. Posts will be moved to accommodate new door location, and horrible bush in front taken down.

Lots more to do, but the house is coming along nicely. Still need to find a garage door we like that gives that 'craftsman' style without breaking the bank. We will likely paint the hose body in the dark gray and trim in white, can kind of see it along the one side of the front window.

Betty

Staff member
Looks good. Nice size yard as well. Bet it will be cute when it's all done.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Time to bother you guys with another couple picture updates

Windows are now installed. They were late in coming and we were getting a bit discouraged. Tons of work going on with our new heat pump unit all installed above the garage. Here is a pic of the front with the new window and another to show where the new tank will go

This view is from the future kitchen location. As you walk in the house the tank will occupy the space to the right of the door. From this prospective it is on the left side of the pic where the new tank goes.

This area was where the old fireplace was and in previous pics was full of blocks and then a big hole in the floor.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay update time, some pics

Ceiling speaker boxes installed

You can see where the new tank will go on the back wall behind the chair

All the rough in plumbing is done, the electrical is almost done and insulation should begin soon

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been discouraged since things seem slow at this point, but we are at the insulation point so drywall soon to follow!

Here is the spot where the new tank goes. This is the view as you come in the front door.

Another view

We did interior insulation to make it quieter. I also put some on the back of the closet where the tank goes so there is less noise to the bedrooms

Betty

Staff member
At least you have nice dry weather while all of this is going on. When our house was built, things took so long that we had to deal with lots of rain and trying to dry things out. I was worried about wet wood and mold, etc.

I hope there's room for a comfortable chair to go in front of the new tank. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
At least you have nice dry weather while all of this is going on. When our house was built, things took so long that we had to deal with lots of rain and trying to dry things out. I was worried about wet wood and mold, etc.

I am so glad its been dry through this!

Betty said:
I hope there's room for a comfortable chair to go in front of the new tank. :D
The new tank will be a main feature but sadly the chairs face the opposite direction... toward the TV! lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay a few new pics

Where the wall goes back and the black tote is on the ground is where the new tank will sit. It is just to the right of the front door entry.

This is the view into the home as you walk in the front door. Kitchen will be on the left, dining room table on the right.

Just a shot of where the tank goes and then where the dining room will be where all the sheetrock is stacked

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, baby steps at this point. Our contractor is behind. He did not take into consideration that all the building trades were going to be as busy as they were. The HVAC stuff was about three weeks late due to them all being booked up with air conditioner installs in July.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been so busy i forgot to update.

Sheetrock has been textured and primed and we are painting before they trim. Also got our new garage door. Went with a carriage style. Will add the hinge trim and handles... one day, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well not done yet but just the addition of the fake strap hinges on the garage door.

Another trick they do is to put a thin auto pinstripe down the middle to create the illusion on two real swinging panels. On my list of to do's

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Lots has changed and I have not updated...

Inside pic

Betty

Staff member
Kitchen looks nice. I like that island. :)

How much longer until it's move-in ready?