At a crossroads... downsize time? / Remodel updates

Br

Re: At a crossroads... downsize time? lol

Not sure if anyone are thinking the same thing but it's great to see before & after pictures esp the area your big tank gonna sits....seems like a long process......remodeling and moving right after.......good luck btw......

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Br said:
Not sure if anyone are thinking the same thing but it's great to see before & after pictures esp the area your big tank gonna sits....seems like a long process......remodeling and moving right after.......good luck btw......

Pics would be nice, lol. Been taking a few of the outside stuff happening at this point but will have to wait till the end of this month before we can get inside to start work. There is a person at the home that will be out then. Soon, very soon.

Betty

Staff member

Update us when you can. Hope Chunk is still doing alright.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Betty said:
Update us when you can. Hope Chunk is still doing alright.
Thanks Betty, will update.

Chunk is still the same. The spots come and go with no rhyme or reason. You would think after a water change it would improve, nope. Even if I go a few day between a change still no difference. So meds dont seem to have made any difference and the fish shows absolutely no distress and eats like a pig. For now I am just leaving well enough alone.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thought I would throw these pics in for fun. These are some of the trees we took down on the property of our future home.

Here is one of two big firs in the backyard. The fence posts are 6x6 and standard 6ft fence for reference.

War zone shot, lol

Here are the two big firs in the front yard, nightmare multi top

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Grimblegrumble said:
What are your plans for all that lumber?

The tree guy gave us an awesome price compared to two other companies and he will sell the timber off and has a firewood guy who takes the rest. One of the other companies that came out to bid basically told us the lumber was 'worthless' and were going to charge to haul it off. :shock:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

bassetman said:
I can see why you wanted those gone. How is chunk?
Chunk is still plugging along like he is not sick but still shows a lot of spots.

Br

You should have built a tree house and make it your own fish room :).. wow....lots of work..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Just an update.

We have begun the demo inside

We are just about done with the inside walls and will then drop the ceiling. Glad we opted for a full gut since the home was wired with old aluminum wire. Also a little bit of insect damage but overall good bones. We are redoing the roof line since it has a weird tent roof on the front of the home and this makes for a funny beam and low entryway. Was not planning to remove all this originally but it would make the house much more comfortable.

Was hoping to get the new tank set up and move the fish in and not have to transport the 210g but due to carpet and finish issues we will have to move the tank and set it up in the garage and then I will get to bring in the new tank a bit later. I am still looking to order the 8 foot 300 gallon.... :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Looks like this is my official remodel update post.

Been hard at work on the new home and have most of the ceilings dropped. It looked liked it snowed!

We used a snow shovel to remove the insulation! You can see the galvanized pipe in the picture, this all was removed for an upcoming PEX pipe redo. I was happy to find zero corosion in the pipes. I thought with the age of the home it would be bad but it was all clear. I felt good about this because I can not replace the main line at this time but since the inside lines are so clean I think it will be okay for a while.

Inside with most of the ceilings dropped.

Still a ton to do and I will need to drop the ceiling in the garage but it is going to be a very nice house when it is all done.

Betty

Staff member
Looks like a lot of hard work -- and it's been so hot! How old is the house? When do you think it'll be move-in ready?

I see Tidy Cat buckets. :) I have stacks of those. They come in handy for so many uses.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
Looks like a lot of hard work -- and it's been so hot! How old is the house? When do you think it'll be move-in ready?

I see Tidy Cat buckets. :) I have stacks of those. They come in handy for so many uses.

It is a TON of hard work for sure! the house was built sometime in the late 60's. It includes lots of things that people dont want like the aluminum wiring and galvanized pipe. Under the home has zero insulation with what appears to be 4x8's every 4ft with 2x6 car decking on it. Where I want to put my tank used to be a fireplace so I may have a good concrete pad as a base. We hope to have the house done in 8 weeks. As to the Tidy cat buckets, there has been no cat at the house for years now but the buckets have remained. Im sure they will be incorporated into a fishkeeping bucket of some sort in the future.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Latest update:
Been hard at work and almost done with our part of the project which is all the demo. Wanted to share some pics of the future tank location. We had pulled out a water heater, furnace and fireplace from this location and it was built up with cinder blocks.

Thankfully it was all sitting on top of a nice concrete pad and all came out. this is what I now have

The construction of this place involves 4x8 beams set every 4 feet with a 2x8 t&g decking on top and then it had another 3/4" oak hardwood floor. And as you can see no insulation under the floor. I am going to put in some pierblocks with the adjustable saddles and make sure to have support every 2 feet, build it up and insulate.

Have not ordered the new tank yet, just in case...
I will end up moving my 210g over and setting it up in the garage while the final stage of finishing touches are being done. Then I can order the new tank and set it up in the living room and get it going and move the fish over.

In the meantime our home hit the market last Thursday and by that Saturday we had two offers and countered back on the one and our current home is now sold! It was perfect since the buyer wanted a longer close since he was moving up from California. We had the home inspection and are waiting on the appraisal and we are pretty much done with that part.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been so busy doing the demo that I really did not get to do any measuring or checking things out. Glad I did! Turns out one wall was framed 6" over what is was suppose to be. This house is small and every inch counts, and this was going to affect where the new tank was to be placed. Thankfully caught it in time to fix and will be able to do the original plan for an 8ft tank. Talked with Custom Aquariums again (3 or 4 times now, nice folks!) and found they are about 12 weeks out. They are a bit behind and my build will take at least 6 more weeks. So I am trying to get the tank ordered this week. Kind of tough moving money around during the remodel until our home is all finalized. Hopefully everything goes without a hitch.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Where is the new house at?
Moving out to Lakewood. Aquarium Paradise right down the road. :D

We are buying the home from my wife's parents and will be a couple blocks away from them now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not exactly home related but almost ready to pull the trigger on a new 300. I designed a spot in the new living room for it. An 8ft by 2ft, soon....