"Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

pbmax

Re: "Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

For reference:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

I've used 6 Seachem Flourish line aquarium plant fertilizer products over the years - Comprehensive, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Excel.

I'm not sure what you mean by trolling...

Here's a container I put together quite a while ago. It has marsilea minuta growing in amazonia 2 with a 6" shoplight over the top with a 9W 6500K CFL. I cleaned it out recently... it was quite awful thanks to many months of neglect. The container isn't particularly attractive, but I tend to go for function over form. ;) It's grown me a lot of marsilea minuta and that's what matters.

jrmakawoody

Lowes has these "lamp kit" type things that give you pretty much everything you need to make something into a lamp. The jar i have has a lid that I will attach the light fixture to. I just got a new 55 gallon, so this project has been put on the backburner haha

BillHN

pbmax said:
For reference:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

I've used 6 Seachem Flourish line aquarium plant fertilizer products over the years - Comprehensive, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Excel.

I'm not sure what you mean by trolling...

Here's a container I put together quite a while ago. It has marsilea minuta growing in amazonia 2 with a 6" shoplight over the top with a 9W 6500K CFL. I cleaned it out recently... it was quite awful thanks to many months of neglect. The container isn't particularly attractive, but I tend to go for function over form. ;) It's grown me a lot of marsilea minuta and that's what matters.

Saw this, it looked awesome when u look at it closely.

And by trolling" Idk anymore, I was having a brainfart when I said that sooo xD

jrmakawoody

I dont think you guys realize how huge this jar is. Its one of those "decorative" type ones.So I dont think that trimming would be a problem. I just want it to be thick and tall in the center, but enough room around for shrimps :)

pbmax

jrmakawoody said:
Lowes has these "lamp kit" type things that give you pretty much everything you need to make something into a lamp. The jar i have has a lid that I will attach the light fixture to. I just got a new 55 gallon, so this project has been put on the backburner haha
A transparent lid, I hope? :D If it's one of those jars with the punch out in the middle you could always cut a piece of acrylic (or even glass) to stick under the lid.

jrmakawoody said:
I dont think you guys realize how huge this jar is. Its one of those "decorative" type ones.So I dont think that trimming would be a problem. I just want it to be thick and tall in the center, but enough room around for shrimps :)
Yup, it's about the same size my vase, only a smaller diameter. I wouldn't want to try trimming in that without long tweezers and scissors, but to each their own. :)

jrmakawoody

PokeSephiroth said:
My mind is still in the gutter. I CANNOT UNSEE IT!!! Hahahahahaha
that image will be engrained in your brain for as long as you live!

The lid is not transparent, I will most likely cut out the center and replace it with a "window"

jrmakawoody

pbmax said:
Yup, it's about the same size my vase, only a smaller diameter. I wouldn't want to try trimming in that without long tweezers and scissors, but to each their own. :)
I like to live on the edge

pbmax

If you look closely at my vase photo you can see how abysmally awful I am at cutting plexiglass or lexan or whatever that was into a round shape. :oops: Glass would likely be much easier with a round cutter.

pbmax

jrmakawoody said:
I like to live on the edge
:cheers:

My long scissors and tweezers have come in really handy for all kinds of trimming / planting... no rust yet either. Just sayin' :cyclops:

jrmakawoody

I need to get some anyways, so if i have them, I will use them haha.

this is what I had in mind:
$T2eC16d,!zQE9s3st(-vBQJo34Hjf!~~60_3.JPG

A

Anonymous

If one was to modify a chunk of wood for this Ball jar couldn't they attach it to the lid? IDK, just something that popped in my head. This way you wouldn't have to shift everything around to clean the glass, you would just pull anything blocking out...

My imagination is getting the better of me. I can see myself dremeling a chunk of bog wood to nicely fit into the jar. At some point the wood would be thick enough to hollow out and except a modified sponge filter about 3" in diameter. Then one could demel slits into the side allowing water flow through the wood , sponge- with an air hose attached and walla- micro sponge filter for a micro tank. Is something like this doable, or is it even needed?

jrmakawoody

one could do such things if one didnt leave his dremel at his parents house in indiana

pbmax

Yikes - too much work. :) Where would you hide the air pump? What would you say when people ask why the lamp is buzzing? :D

jrmakawoody

I suppose you could hide the air pump up in the lampshade...you could just tell them that its the "old style" incandescent light bulb that has a slight hum haha

A

Anonymous

Would you just not filter the system?

It does sound like a lot of work but this is stuff I do from time to time. Think if weird stuff and then try it..

Well, if it's only going to house shrimp, I don't see the need for a filter... >_>;; or......?