A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 2
Service 4

I stopped by because I heard it was closing and had never been there. The owner was friendly and they had a lot of stock on things like food and supplies. The fish however were a different issue.... Many did not seem to have the desire to live, if that makes any sense. Many of the large cichlids would not even interact with you and looked like they wanted to be somewhere else. Every sponge filter needed cleaning because they were filthy and clogged. Prices were kind of a guess and the ones marked were high. Sad to see the place closing because the potential was good.
Im with you on this review. I went to see them on Monday. Fishes looked kinda ok but items were abundant. Buy 2 get 1 free. He give me a good deal on my glass top for the 110gal and free uv sterilizers that just need new bulbs. Nice guy btw.

WhosUrDadi

I've been a loyal customer to Michael ever since he owned king's discuss. is it really closing? its only been open for i believe 3-4 years..
I go to AW mostly for equipment's. I do agree that variety of fish is not as good but with that said, it all depends on the customers taste.. if a customer is a hardcore african cichlids keeper/breeder, this is not your place, if your in to south/central american cichlids, it's an OK place... I asked Michael to order me some plecos that is hard to find but cannot deliver. I talked to him before about the variety of stock, I nicely told him to stock more varieties of fish, from common to moderate to hard to find fishes. but i think most of his Stock is coming from the wholesale from Oregon, i asked him if he is getting some fish from Seagress but he said he's not. reason is expensive shipping cost.
I asked him to stock more varieties of african cichlids but he told me that there are not a lot of people that knows about them and will be hard to sell, believe it or not there are a lot of people who knows about african cichlids around here..
Its sad to know that this place is closing... i hope Michael can find a way to bounce back to keep the store open.

Livebearer

Overall experience; 3
Cost;2
variety;2
custumer service;4

I don't think Michael realy cares too much about closing (he's a retired Electrical engineer)as this is just a hobby for him from what impression he gave me last year when I visited. His basic Endler's and Picta red's were 29.99 pr.:affraid: 

cichlid-gal

Went by the store on Tuesday when we were in town for the GSAS auction. There was a lot of construction on the street in front of the store but it appeared that the store was closed. We were not sure if that was because of the construction or if the business had closed. Sorry we didnt' get a chance to visit it.

finray56

I guess I was lucky to nab our group of Geophagus Tapajos, they are beautiful. I picked up a small group of six so we are hoping that we end up with a pair or two. They are super hard to tell male from female at this stage.
I will miss Michaels shop as we live in Burien and it was so close. It is sad to see the brick and mortar shops struggling to stay in business. I have been going to King Discus for years, last time I was in it looked a bit unkept. Then this year Kevin left a place for pets, it's okay but the selection seems very limited. I guess it is a tough business to be in these days. We used to joke about how nasty and dirty Leims was in the ID, well it may well end up being the last shop floating if things don't turn around.
 I hate to say it but I do a lot of my shopping for supplies online myself. I'm not well to do and the fact is I need to stretch every dollar for all its worth and it goes a lot further online. I usually end up saving 20-30% and that adds up ! I wondered if a space like Aquarist World would have been better off as some kind of aquarium co-op type of business ? It was a great sized space but I would say the variety of fish for sale was usually a bit subpar. Of course I guess fantasizing about what one would do is a lot different that actually running a business :)

WhosUrDadi

I agree with you...

you know sometimes interacting with a lot hobbyist and breeders locally can give the business owner the idea of what stocks are.. I like what Sierra pets did to their store, they sell some equipment's now that you can only get online before. stocks are alright tho, they still dont have any Fancy pleco's.

A

Anonymous

WhosUrDadi said:
I like what Sierra pets did to their store, they sell some equipment's now that you can only get online before. stocks are alright tho, they still dont have any Fancy pleco's.
Yeah they do have fancy plecos. I seen some a few weeks ago. Ask tayntdawg he works there.