Anyone use crushed oyster shells to raise PH?

protocl

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I don't know if other fish stores carry it readily but our LFS has a pH control chemical/powder or some sort that will keep it at a steady rate. It says the rate on the box. I have just glanced at them, never looked too long but knew there were different ones for the different rates. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was API brand too.
thank you for the help. :)
I'll check on it tomorrow.

Kianna

Whats your PH out of the tap?

Assuming you're using tap water for water changes.....I would start with testing that! IMO 6.0 sounds low for ph out of the tap for our area! If the PH out of the tap is low then certainly some buffering is in order.

Removing the wood was a good idea--wood lowers ph--it'll take several good size w/c to bring it back up though.

It would be helpful if you listed your complete system & schedule.

I think its the 180g right?
Substrate--Bare Bottom ?
Whats the filtration --canister? current media?
Have you tested GH & KH? ---they play a part in a stable PH
Whats your w/c schedule?--how much, how often

Sorry about all the questions and hopefully I haven't asked anything already covered. :D

Somehow I think we're missing something... :scratch:

Fern

A pic of the tank will also help, sometimes theres something obvious to others that you miss yourself.

protocl

Kianna said:
Whats your PH out of the tap? 7.5

Assuming you're using tap water for water changes.....I would start with testing that! IMO 6.0 sounds low for ph out of the tap for our area! If the PH out of the tap is low then certainly some buffering is in order.

Removing the wood was a good idea--wood lowers ph--it'll take several good size w/c to bring it back up though. Already removed the wood. re-tested the water, still low. the bucket i housed the wood, the water was about the same with or without housing the wood.

It would be helpful if you listed your complete system & schedule. just driftwood, anubia, java moss and i forgot the other plants title. 2 marineland 300 watt heaters, fluval fx5 and a rena xp4 canister. i usually WC 40% every 3rd week, clean out a canister the next day and then the other canister the following day.

I think its the 180g right? yes.
Substrate--Bare Bottom ? bare bottom.
Whats the filtration --canister? current media? biobale, biomax rings, water polishing pads.
Have you tested GH & KH? ---they play a part in a stable PH no, i dont have a test kit for those, but im sure the KH is real low.
Whats your w/c schedule?--how much, how often well, ive done 4 WC within this week now. i used to WC every second week, bu since the weather turned colder, its at the 3rd week.

do you guys think, its the water polishing pad?, that is making the PH lower?

Sorry about all the questions and hopefully I haven't asked anything already covered. :D

Somehow I think we're missing something... :scratch:

protocl

Fern said:
A pic of the tank will also help, sometimes theres something obvious to others that you miss yourself.
you mean a picture of the inside of the tank? hmmm, nothing has changed ever since i first set it up. i did not add any new items inside.

Kianna

It's not the polishing pads. IMO you got something else going on. Whats your stocking in the tank? Nitrates would be helpful also to see if you're water changes are large enough often enough.

protocl

The nitrates never exceed 20ppm.
I have pre-filters over the intakes, thus the canisters to not facilitate poop.

Kianna

Oh and I run bare bottom tanks all the time. I also have a ph of 7.5 out of the tap and never a ph crash with regular weekly water changes. My first guess is the wood was for sure a problem especially with w/c only every 3 weeks. You're really gonna need to maybe 30-40% a week for the next several weeks to see if the wood was the problem which I suspect it is. I guess I should ask how big is the wood too?

Kianna

OK thats not extremely large for a 180 but its not a twig either.....LOL

Our water out of the tap has a good GH/KH and its buffering capacity is pretty good (I say ours...I mean this area of western washington). With no wood and the proper amount of water changes & frequencies...you should have no problem maintaining a 7.5 or so ph without any chemicals or additives.

Try beefing up those water changes and I bet that'll help :D

protocl

Kianna said:
I was banned at fishlore, because I got into heated debate on minimum tank size for arowana's. Lol
I was warned by the mods, but the other member was not, so I told the mods and admin. to shove the warning
where the sun don't shine. Lol.

Fern

:bounce: Well I have never seen your tank :bounce:
I agree it was more than likely the wood..... but fresh eyes on it couldn't hurt.