Anyone use crushed oyster shells to raise PH?

larry.beck

I use buffer and salts in my rift lake tanks, and then have crushed coral in the bed of my larger tank (with white sand substrate) to help maintain the pH. I'm not sure that the coral is enough to *raise* the pH so much as to help maintain it. And as I recall, it'll only maintain it once is falls below 8.2.

Billiethekid

i know this against anything you should do but... i went to An Island around here and collected moon snail shells and then to local state park and collected oyster and clam shells... i soaked them in a Hot Salt and Vinegar Bath for 30 minutes then scrubbed them with a tooth brush to remove algae and sand.. i havent had an issue with them at all.. no parasites or wierd diseases... so ur call but thts what i did... i have 3 moon snail shells in my 30 gallon community where my convicts lay eggs and in my cichlid its got oyster shells and moon snail shells... non are siliconed or treated besides the bath...

icer711

hey protocal... you still have the big piece of drift wood in there? if so they probably why your tank keeps dropping... i ran into that with big pieces i had in a 90 gl... have since pulled them and the tank hold steady

protocl

icer711 said:
hey protocal... you still have the big piece of drift wood in there? if so they probably why your tank keeps dropping... i ran into that with big pieces i had in a 90 gl... have since pulled them and the tank hold steady

yes, its still in there. i was thinking it is because of that. but no tannins is leaking.
if i pull those woods out, i have no where to keep the plants. man, im stuck!

Fern

Use cotton sewing thread and tie them to a rock, they will anchor by the time the thread rots away. Pours rock works better. Cotton string is better than fishing line, less chance of a fish getting caught in it.

protocl

Fern said:
Use cotton sewing thread and tie them to a rock, they will anchor by the time the thread rots away. Pours rock works better. Cotton string is better than fishing line, less chance of a fish getting caught in it.
alright, ill get on it now.

icer711

protocl said:
icer711 said:

yes, its still in there. i was thinking it is because of that. but no tannins is leaking.
if i pull those woods out, i have no where to keep the plants. man, im stuck!
ja i know but even though there are no tannins the wood naturally lowers the ph.... found out the hard way i had some cool pieces of wood :(... let me know how it goes after you take it out i have a feeling thats whats causing it...even though that was a cool looking piece

Fern

It will take about a week and a few water changes to get the residual tannins out.
Changing the PH the natural way takes time but that's one reason its a safer way to go, you really don't want it moving even 2 degrees in 24hrs or you will stress the fish

protocl

Fern said:
It will take about a week and a few water changes to get the residual tannins out.
Changing the PH the natural way takes time but that's one reason its a safer way to go, you really don't want it moving even 2 degrees in 24hrs or you will stress the fish
true.

protocl

well, its day 7!!!!, Ph is still yellow, based on API test tubes.

im about to jump into the 180G and drown myself.
if you guys do not hear from me tomorrow, ive become fish food.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I don't know if other fish stores carry it readily but our LFS has a pH control chemical/powder or some sort that will keep it at a steady rate. It says the rate on the box. I have just glanced at them, never looked too long but knew there were different ones for the different rates. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was API brand too.