Anubius

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
You make it look so easy!

This is one of my maintenance tanks. I only do the water changes so I don’t see the tank but once a month.
Here is a better picture where the skull is more visible. I glued Anubius to it and am really pleased with how well it is doing.
26DF4AFD-6F6C-4089-9972-34AE6F27B3DE.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I really need to try my hand at plants but just feel like I would kill them. Cant beat the look of real plants.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Anubias, anubias, anubias...!

These are all glued to rocks, and as for any 'tricks,' the first step towards a successful planted tank is to buy some plants!

IMGP6856R1.jpg IMGP6866.R1.jpg IMGP6879R1.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
So what your saying is... Anubias is the place to start, lol

Any variety better than another to start with?

Any, really. I like Coffeola because of the ridges leaf structure. Barterii, frazeri, and several others get big. Nana comes in two varieties normal and petite.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Any variety better than another to start with?

I'm sure there are fancy species that may be more demanding, but I haven't noticed any differences among the commonly available Anubias. I do think that the real trick here is to start out with healthy, high quality plants. I never had much success with plants from Petco or PetSmart, but you can get really nice plants online. I've been very happy with all the plants I have purchased from the Aquarium Plants Factory in CA.

L190

Great starter plants that are easy to grow: anubias, Java fern, Vals. With anubias, I've had luck with the ones in the tubes, just make sure you grab a healthy plant. The TC ones are a bit trickier, especially the variegated ones.

IMG_20200225_165748.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Great starter plants that are easy to grow: anubias, Java fern, Vals. With anubias, I've had luck with the ones in the tubes, just make sure you grab a healthy plant. The TC ones are a bit trickier, especially the variegated ones.

View attachment 5893

I have found that getting TC plants to transition to be a bit tricky.

L190

I have found that getting TC plants to transition to be a bit tricky.
I love tc plants, I try to get tc plants if possible. Most tc plants convert pretty easy but the variegated ones are a bit tougher. I have about a 50% chance on anubias variegated of converting it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I felt like this was on topic and not a derail since the subject is plants and anubius in particular.

Okay so Im posting here to get help... I think I am seriously interested in plants for this tank, lol

This is the tank Im working on, a 30g (36x12 footprint) with an Aquaclear 70, Catalina 150w titanium heater and Beamswork EA 36" fixture (No timer yet). I just did the background at 14" so tank must be 16" tall.

Substrate will be CaribSea River of Doubt sand. Occupant a lone arrowhead puffer, who buries himself in the sand so pretty much a no go for plants in substrate, he would disturb them. Wondering if he would leave nano fish alone or try and eat them? Would consider a couple otto or something to keep plants clean.

66B07CCD-2639-4E00-A3E3-D535304255A2.png
This is what the little guy does all over the tank, so substrate plants probably would not make it.
IMG_20181011_puff.jpg

Advice already given (thanks @Colin James):
I think a Frazerii would look good on the long horizontal and a nana petite in the crook of the Y.
Or, if you could find some java fern “windelov” it has “fingers” at the ends of its leaves and would go really well with the look.

So remember Im a noob as to plants.

Where is the best place to get some plants to start?
Recommended varieties?

How do I attach said plants to the spiderwood?
Should I wait till the wood is water logged before attaching?

Anything else I need to know?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I felt like this was on topic and not a derail since the subject is plants and anubius in particular.

Okay so Im posting here to get help... I think I am seriously interested in plants for this tank, lol

This is the tank Im working on, a 30g (36x12 footprint) with an Aquaclear 70, Catalina 150w titanium heater and Beamswork EA 36" fixture (No timer yet). I just did the background at 14" so tank must be 16" tall.

Substrate will be CaribSea River of Doubt sand. Occupant a lone arrowhead puffer, who buries himself in the sand so pretty much a no go for plants in substrate, he would disturb them. Wondering if he would leave nano fish alone or try and eat them? Would consider a couple otto or something to keep plants clean.

View attachment 5929
This is what the little guy does all over the tank, so substrate plants probably would not make it.
View attachment 5930

Advice already given (thanks @Colin James):

So remember Im a noob as to plants.

Where is the best place to get some plants to start?
Recommended varieties?

How do I attach said plants to the spiderwood?
Should I wait till the wood is water logged before attaching?

Anything else I need to know?

If you have an empty Rubbermaid you could start soaking the spider wood now or just fill the tank.
Superglue gel. Not all the roots need glue just a enough to give the roots a chance to grab on their own.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an empty Rubbermaid you could start soaking the spider wood now or just fill the tank.
Superglue gel. Not all the roots need glue just a enough to give the roots a chance to grab on their own.

Okay, I will likely just let the wood soak when I fill up the tank. I did weigh it down by attaching to the slate so it will not float. Superglue gel, got it

So just one of the plants in a plastic tube ? The dry clear tubes?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Okay, I will likely just let the wood soak when I fill up the tank. I did weigh it down by attaching to the slate so it will not float. Superglue gel, got it

So just one of the plants in a plastic tube ? The dry clear tubes?

Those are TC and are a good choice. They are in the emersed form, so they take a minute to transition.
Anubius: trim the roots to about 2in and glue.
Java fern: glue

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if the Superglue gel sets in water? Im considering getting the 30 gallon set up after work today... This would make the spider wood wet and immersed.

Im really in no rush. just considering it. Have other aspects of this project I can work on.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Do you know if the Superglue gel sets in water? Im considering getting the 30 gallon set up after work today... This would make the spider wood wet and immersed.

Im really in no rush. just considering it. Have other aspects of this project I can work on.

Sho’ ‘nuff it do. Squeeze a little bit onto the wood and stick your finger to it and wala never coming off:D

L190

If you're looking for plants with color and you can glue onto wood and rocks, check out buces.