Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Added background to the 30
IMG_20200304_201940832.jpg The background is the same as the one on my 65B hairy puffers tank but the section is blown up so I hope its not noticeable Im using the same background.

This was my idea of using my spiderwood centerpiece in the tank. It takes a lot of space but the puffer Im moving over is pretty inactive until he isnt... hopefully this works and he has enough space.
IMG_20200304_202117151(1).jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I think a Frazerii would look good on the long horizontal and a nana petite in the crook of the Y.
Or, if you could find some java fern “windelov” it has “fingers” at the ends of its leaves and would go really well with the look.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think a Frazerii would look good on the long horizontal and a nana petite in the crook of the Y.
Or, if you could find some java fern “windelov” it has “fingers” at the ends of its leaves and would go really well with the look.
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into it. Live plants just seem to make sense with the look of this tank. Especially since the fishes activity level is fairly low. It would be something interesting to look at.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, Im feeling super guilty for wanting to move the puffer over to a smaller tank and then crowding it with this large piece of decor. It is going down to half the tank size but it is a super inactive fish and I feel a 65B with an Ac110 is wasted on it. It will now get a 30g (36x12 footprint) with an AC70 which according to everything Ive read is more than sufficient but cant help feeling guilty. Most of the time the arrowhead buries itself and is not even seen... While my hairy puffer is pretty much the same size, I feel it uses its tank (65B) to the full. Swims in all levels and is out a lot more. So the hairy get to keep its big tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Found the 30 gallon with the window behind it to let too much light through the background so I took an extra piece of formica I had and blocked it. The tanks backstrip got cut for the Aquaclear 70 and heater cord. Im not liking the heater set up so may run the cord on other side of the filter.

I might just run a double sponge on the Aquaclear 70, I had forgotten how deep the filter media compartment was on these.

I know I will move sand over to the 30 from the 65B for the puffer but Im not sure what I will do for substrate now in the 65. Have always wanted to do larger smoother stones...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to return the 90 with the cracked frame and just do a 75.

The Olympia Petco had 2 90’s on the floor with frame cracks. They had like 9 of the 75’s and many looked like they had air bubbles in the seems. Two had small cracks in lower back corners of the frame, one was marked as ‘reptile only’.

They have problems for sure. Somewhere along the way in shipping the tanks are getting cracked but then Aqueon is also making absolute crap tanks for Petco.

I really went over this 75 well and I hope it doesn’t have issues. Petco marked the 75 down to $80 for all my troubles. $20 at least covered the gas for the 3 round trips so happy with that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The kind of update I like... progress and pics!

75 on rack and filling
75 fill.jpg
Well whats this? Progress, the 75 is filled and has gravel in it. Tank filter running and heater going, just need to fine tune the heater a bit and bring over bio-media from another tank.
full L.jpg Other half of rack (right side)
full r.jpg Full shot!
full.jpg The grow outs
IMG_20200307_105751151.jpg

Have lots of storage too. heavy stuff life extra gravel in there.
storage r.jpg
Storage for python hose.
starage m.jpg Storage for python gravel tubes.
storage L.jpg

Where the large mopani is will be the hairy puffers 65B will go.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lame update this time since I posted tons of pics last time, lol

With the close proximity of the sand to the filter intake on the Aquaclear 70 I decided to purchase a sponge filter for the intake. $13 seemed steep until I saw the way its made with all the ways to adapt. I will run it at 90 degrees.
81qDlP3wKsL._SL1500_.jpg
I really wanted to try the ones that the Aquarium Co-Op sells but the large are pretty huge and require some modification to use by putting tubing around the intake of the aquaclear to build it up to hold the sponge. Not sure if the medium sponge would work or if too tight but I like what I choose. I didnt find the replacement sponges for the unit I got available on Amazon but found them on another site I use. But I shouldnt need one for a while.

With the need to move the hairy puffer, I think the next step is to get the 30 gallon going. It can be empty of decor just needs to be filled and running. I can use to temporarily house the hairy puffer in until his 65B gets moved over. Then the arrowhead puffer in the 65B will be able to get the 30 as its permanent home.

What then for the other 65B? Time will tell. Maybe a temp. growout for my amphs. Or if I breed a few to keep open for fry? Or maybe even just a solo red wolf in the future...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Waiting to get a couple items to do the 30 next. My Dewalt racks have wire shelving and I also got the one with wood shelving. I like the wood for the top where the 30 gallon will go but its only about 3/8" thick so Im going to double it up. I am going to silicone between the two sheet edges and screw it together to prevent any water between the edges. The last shelf Im going to attach to the far left side of the rack as a light block for when the garage door is open and also to protect that side of the aquarium since I have the shop vac and other stuff there. Hopefully this weekend I can get that part going.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A couple updates:

Got the shelf for the 30 gallon done so I could set it up.

The 30 gallon is filled and running, need to get the heater adjusted.
IMG_20200323_145319395.jpg

IMG_20200323_145342676.jpg
Even with the slate base, the wood floats...
IMG_20200323_145327600.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been slow to finish the project. All my friends and I are being good and keeping our distance. Still need to move my other 65B but waiting till I can get some help from by buddy. This is not a light tank since it was from Custom aquariums and is built with 1/2" glass all the way around. So as I wait I just continue with maintenance and fine touches to stuff.

Today a pic of the 'newest' thing. I have a picture that is a favorite that was in my office but I wanted it out with the fish. No real place to put it so I did a 'floating' mount across the window. I like how it looks.
IMG_20200331_150559105.jpg
The picture hung up
IMG_20200331_150632591.jpg

I want this to be an area where I can sit and watch fish too. Been looking at maybe doing bar stools and a bar table... More pics to come as I continue on my project.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did some spending today... putting stimulus money into play already, lol

Bought some things for the seating area of the garage

New bar stools
07B2F68B-D3C7-41CC-BE6F-DB75E9DF32E0.jpeg

New bar table
78021E11-28B4-4051-93A6-F47FEE161B0A.jpeg

New carpet
50536433-F966-4F3F-B8E4-63060F9BC470.png

Hopefully makes for a nice area to hang out and watch the fish.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im looking forward to a comfortable area to hang out. While the racking is very utility looking I still want it for more than just raising out the fish or like a pet store. I want to be able to enjoy watching them too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Im looking forward to a comfortable area to hang out. While the racking is very utility looking I still want it for more than just raising out the fish or like a pet store. I want to be able to enjoy watching them too.
I couldn't agree more, and your timing has been spot-on, what with our new stay-at-home lifestyle. I love having a few beers with my fishes! :D

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Been slow to finish the project. All my friends and I are being good and keeping our distance. Still need to move my other 65B but waiting till I can get some help from by buddy. This is not a light tank since it was from Custom aquariums and is built with 1/2" glass all the way around. So as I wait I just continue with maintenance and fine touches to stuff.

Today a pic of the 'newest' thing. I have a picture that is a favorite that was in my office but I wanted it out with the fish. No real place to put it so I did a 'floating' mount across the window. I like how it looks.
View attachment 6050
The picture hung up
View attachment 6051

I want this to be an are where I can sit and watch fish too. Been looking at maybe doing bar stools and a bar table... More pics to come as I continue on my project.

Just saw these on MFK!! I go by fishguy1978.