+/- and reputations poll, what do you think?

MRTom

To the forum or someone being sued, it isn't like the forum is making a promise either way. The forum isn't even calling the rating a feature. I think the only realistic way to look at the ratings and +/- is:
a. When I'm reading through a thread, a particular comment was liked by a few people so it is green.
b. Reading said thread, a particular comment got some red, look out for a possible flame war (this is handy for them mods and us trolls)
c. Reputation: x = This person has made x comments that people have bothered to highlight.

It seems like any conclusions drawn beyond the three observations above are inferences made on theories we may have about the data and should be made by individuals for individual use only. (i.e. using reputation for sales is an individual decision and not something the forum is officially guiding.)

Also, if you wanna know how many posts you did, go to the statistics page in your profile! As of writing, you have 1706 posts Chad... your numbers are skyrocketing this vacation week! :D Keep it up!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
A little bit of a side branch off of topic but would hate to start a whole new thread about it.

Is there a way to put a button at the bottom of threads like the "stop watching this topic" option to take you back to the top of the page so you can quickly without scrolling through all comments to get back to the "forum" "portal" "gallery" button banner? I've seen this option on other sites say "top" or "back to top" and it was very nice option that I frequently used.

pbmax

Now that I'm at risk of no longer having the highest non-moderator rep (this means YOU, fishNaBowl, IM WATCHING YOU!), I don't like it anymore.  :cyclops:  And I totally wasn't keeping track either... :suspect:

I use it for nice photos, good topics, good information, stuff like that. I think some folks in this thread are taking it a little too seriously.

cichlid-gal

MRTom said:
So we've been doing this +/- experiment for a while. What do think of it? Vote and comment!
I think you should have stuck to love it or hate it for this as a "meh" vote gives the forum nothing to work with. It's a more difficult decision to say "love it" or "hate it" than to simply say "whatever". You know me...black and white...white and black...Just saying  :p 

MRTom

Actually, the Meh is telling us something interesting: what % of users are actively concerned about this either way :) One way to look at it is that we can project slightly more than half of folks won't mind if there are changes made or not.

KaraWolf

exactly MRTom :)I think it's interesting and nice to see people giving kudos to those with pictures or really good advice but I've also seen the red used and I'll actually reread the post to try and figure out why the heck someone would dislike it. Though usually I conclude it was either a missclick, or someone has a grudge :/ I don't personally use it because I can't decide just what post most deserves it! There is so much good advice and pictures here. That and - both doesn't actually do anything to rep points and I feel terrible even thinking about raining on people's parades. even little thread parades. Along the lines of "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" Unless it's misinformation, in which case I try really, really hard to nicely say, hey that's not what I heard might want to fact check against this other thing.
EDIT: That and I got used to +/"liking" to being the lazy mans way of saying that there is awesome, or keep it up your doing great.

jrmakawoody

Why not just have a "thanks" button to push whenever a post is helpful or interesting. "Such and such member has 0 thaked posts...or such and such member has 132 thanked posts"

pbmax

jrmakawoody said:
Why not just have a "thanks" button to push whenever a post is helpful or interesting.  "Such and such member has 0 thaked posts...or such and such member has 132 thanked posts"
Yup - the facebook approach of like without unlike is generally the nicest way to go, especially since some folks like to over-use the - button.

xda-developers (phone and tablet development) uses the "thanks" approach and it works very well.

:plus1: 

MRTom

There's a lot of good +/- feedback going on. One catch is that we're limited by what the host (FF) will do. That is, we can enable and disable the feature. More complicated changes could be tackled if we undergo a big forum move to a new host. Just another tidbit to consider.