+/- and reputations poll, what do you think?

MRTom

So we've been doing this +/- experiment for a while. What do think of it? Vote and comment!

MorganEA

I feel like some people use it for the wrong reason, if they don't like someone they give them a bad vote even if it was a good post.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
:iagree: 
Seems like some hold a grudge or something. We really dont need a reputation meter.

dwarfpike

It's a good way to mark a post as bad without leaving commits that would lead to a flame war, bad feelings, banning and post derailment ... ie if you can't control yourself enough to call someone keeping a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank an idiot, then just a - works.

But over all, meh. Maybe because I'm too old for facebook, but I never got the whole like thing.

A

Anonymous

I am down with some sort of rating. If someone pops in trying to sell stuff I won't make a purchase from someone that's either a day new, or a 0 rep. I'm just saying....

It isn't FB, true. I would still be here without it but EVERY forum has some sort of participation counter.  I know our forum is local and doesn't have the international support so it's not super huge but when selling and buying it would be nice to have a rating system.  

If we where to refine this is would probably look like a post counter under your user name and the rep counter used primarily for people who buy/sell. Having both under your avatar would be key. If someone answers a question, or something. You look over and see this person has 10,482 posts this pretty much tells you they have been in the hobby a few years and their comment is knowledgable (for the most part,hah). Your trying to buy something and they have a rating of 2/100% you may want to use more caution than buying some thing from someone that has a 186/100%. The whole 'negitive' / 'positive' thing technically should be reserved for buy/sell.

dwarfpike

Yeah, using post counters to determine knowledge can be very deceiving ... on a certain other forum I visit, most of the people with the highest post counts don't really know all that much and those I trust the most and are the most knowledgable have fairly low ones.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I think it is misused as well. Instead of reputation of knowledge I think more people look at it like facebook and they like what someone said or don't like it as opposed to knowledge.

A

Anonymous

dwarfpike said:
Yeah, using post counters to determine knowledge can be very deceiving ... on a certain other forum I visit, most of the people with the highest post counts don't really know all that much and those I trust the most and are the most knowledgable have fairly low ones.
This isn't 100% full proof way to determine knowledge. But that is weird to me -  :suspect:

On ebay and other purchase decisions yes, but our system doesn't explain the reason for +/- . If someone has a higher rep, from my view point it seems like a popularity score.

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I think it is misused as well. Instead of reputation of knowledge I think more people look at it like facebook and they like what someone said or don't like it as opposed to knowledge.
True, I've seen this happening. But overall, good ideas, good knowledgeable answers, and neat ideas get the majority . I have found myself giving newcomers that introduce themselves and post their tanks a + for participating. People randomly getting + because of a FB type post seems to be a minority to me. Or I would have gripped about it months ago, lol.

hobbyorobsession said:
On ebay and other purchase decisions yes, but our system doesn't explain the reason for +/- . If someone has a higher rep, from my view point it seems like a popularity score.
Understood. A refinement would be nice. I try not to see it like that and myself do not rate as such.
I rate new comers for participation. I rate season vets on knowledgable participation and sweet ideas. I will press the + on tank shots and updates for participating. It takes time and energy to take pictures, post, and show off. I appreciate that. Something I wish you would do more :D, I know you got some sweet tanks Daniel!! SHARE THEM!

I also think the forum should think through the process before implementing or getting involved in the moderation of sales or someone's sales reputation. That seems like a big can of worms to open that could result in legal action for the forum if some one takes issue . however there is merit in some other sort of rating system like a "like" or something to that idea to encourage participation.

Thank you for the complement about my tanks. I will take some photos and post them today because you asked for them, maybe I'll even clean the glass =)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I know for me I dealt with one bad customer from here that I believe got fish for a bad purpose, not for hobby and I saved their name and number so I wouldn't work with them again. I use word of mouth on here now for buying/selling items. Such as fish. If I see it's a person who is commonly on here I trust them alot more. Suck one bad experience made me leary but I don't appreciate fish grown from fry being used for bad purposes. I have not seen the person(s) return to this forum since our exchange was made either, which only rose more flags for me as to their purposes of the fish.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
hobbyorobsession said:
Thank you for the complement about my tanks.  I will take some photos and post them today because you asked for them, maybe I'll even clean the glass =)
hehe glad I'm not the only one who does that!  :) 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I'm undecided, as even if someone marks the minus symbol , the reputation doesn't go down, making it just a count of likes ( which in my opinion doesn't actually make it a valid check for reputation). For example, someone could post a beautiful picture of one of their fish and have 15 members like it. That same member could also "theoretically" then scam people into buying broken equipment etc..... Which, in my opinion, doesn't paint an accurate portrayal of that person..... So I'm feeling like he current way its set up could just go away, or a modified version might actually be useful.

Denizaari

I like the +/- idea but I agree that it's baseless. Anyone for any reason can like or not like a comment or a picture. I feel that this type if rating system should not be used to determine knowledge or reputation on the forum. Moreover, how many +/- were given out for comments in this thread...hmmm. Makes ya wonder... Just kidding, I'm not stirring the pot.

A

Anonymous

I liked seeing how many posts I did (was a feature of this forum in the past) That was kind of cool. Just for myself.
The +/- thing is mainly for me to try harder to be nice, haha! Since Cory has purchased this forum he's changed things up here and there trying new post counters, this rating system. I kind of like them, it adds kind of like a boost for me to participate and to see how high I can get a score or "rating" I guess. For myself I miss them when they are removed.  

@ Lloyd378, kind of a negative way to look at it but you have a valid point. Some could say I frequent this forum quite regularly. I've noticed what your saying to be true, yet this type of rating doesn't carry the individual member far from what I have seen. The individual may receive  1-2 + for a picture but for me if I click into a post and the OP has already gotten a + I won't give them another unless it is truly deserved. I think the limitation of only being able to rate twice in a day helps with 'overrating' as well.

@hobbyorobsession, I didn't think of that... Could being sued really happen if a member kept getting negative scores?