Algae on anubias leaves, how to clean it?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Broke out the grinder and cut the slate to conform closer to the wood so it will look better when sand is in place and plants can get put closer too.
IMG_20210228_134155798.jpg
I think the final plant stocking will only be 5 Anubias. 4 are the taller arrow leafed Anubias Hastfolia and one just a Anubias Nana.
IMG_20210228_145009514.jpg
@lloyd378, give me a text if you are in my area. Im so close to Martin Henry or AP that you should stop by and pick up some extra plants I have for you.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I use a soft kids toothbrush to clean algae off my anubias. I keep it dedicated to tanks only of course. I put the leaves on my fingers and brush lightly.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I bought an Anubis nana last week. Beautiful plant that was potted.... anyway, someone in my community tank liked it too much as when I can home today, the roots were out of the substrate and all of the leaves and stems have been stripped from the rhizome
If this is in with the sailfin I guarantee it was it. Unless I guard my plants in my sailfins tank it will shred and eat large plants. Uproots jungle Val daily and destroyed a beautiful HUGE sword plant I had in there lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
If this is in with the sailfin I guarantee it was it. Unless I guard my plants in my sailfins tank it will shred and eat large plants. Uproots jungle Val daily and destroyed a beautiful HUGE sword plant I had in there lol
No sailfin in there... small BN, but I’m thinking either angels trying to clean leaves for spawning and or the red head tapajo dug it up and the leaves broke off

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I decided to get SAE for the tank. I went to Aquarium Paradise and found them for $6.99 and got one to see how it would do. The tank had a couple but they just didn’t look that great. I got the best one of the SAE they did have. If I wasn’t too picky I might be able to find at least one more there. I need to look elsewhere for more.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Took this pic recently, and remembered how this thread was talking about nerite snails at one point. Here's what a small clutch of their eggs looks like attached to the front glass-

IMG_2208.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 46g bowfront has been looking great. The two BN pleco are keeping it clean. The male dug himself a pit but the female is out on the large leaves all the time. Still would like an SAE to deal with a little bit of the black algae but the tank looks really good and the plants look healthy and algae free.

IMG_20210318_204947236.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I guess there is something to a well balanced planted tank that it seems to almost care for itself. My tank maintenance has been fairly minimal with one or two light gravel vacs a week mostly to keep BN pleco poo in check and I dose a little fertilizer after water changes. I use some Fluval stuff that was on sale at Amazon but plants seem to be doing okay. Seeing a little rhizome growth and the leaves seem to not be melting so I think its going well. The black algae is almost non existent on the spiderwood centerpiece and the two BN pleco seem to be keeping the glass, wood, and plants looking good. Was thinking about that whole SAE addition and I dont think I need any.

As to the fish, the cories are very active in the tank and now seem to school well and have stopped a lot of the glass surfing that they did when first introduced. The Monk tetra seem to love the increased school size, the flame gourami is just an awesome looking fish that just get along with everything, same with the 3 spot. The marble angel seem a bit overwhelmed by the Aquaclear 110 current, I feel like I should make/buy something for that. Overall this has been the most fun Ive had with fish in a while, the pleasure of a simple community tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So the planted tank seems to have a fairly ideal situation and balance of everything since Im not seeing much algae growth. I believe The light comes on at 10am and off at 8 with an hour of blue light before and after. I do have the fixture turned down with the Beamswork light. It is the full spectrum EA fixture with the dimmer set to 4 out of 10. Also it gets some natural light from the window behind it.

I did notice a slight yellowing in leaves, not sure what this means. I do two water changes each week and add some Fluval fertilizer once a week. Does the yellow mean it might be needing more fertilizer? Or should I increase lighting intensity or duration?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea but I do know that when my leaves on plants turn yellow they usually fall off
It could even be a bit of natural coloration in the plant itself Im seeing. Not intense but a light yellowish green... which of course is next to impossible to capture in a pic to show you guys.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This tank seems to have a good balance of fish and plants.

Im pretty much seeing zero algae growth and very little die off on the plants. The little bit of yellowing was a few leaves dying off but overall it all looks healthy. I recently turned all the lights down in the fishroom to prevent algae growth and to look uniform but then realized I really did not need to do it with this tank. Likely will put this tank back up to 4 instead of 3 on the Beamswork LED. The BN pleco are doing great keeping things clean and while I get a little bit of black beard algae, it is very little and in super small clumps so no real issue with that either. This tank gets a once a week gravel vac/water change with a redose of plant fertilizer each time. Really enjoying how smooth this one seems to run now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of an update on the tank. Seems the green algae is keeping in check and I have little bits of black algae on the wood but otherwise it all seems to balance out well. I do have a white water issue on this tank and only this tank. I would guess a bacterial bloom. I do a water change and it clears up but a couple days later a bit white looking. Just keeping up on the water changes and hope it will clear up. I think I triggered this recently when I accidently walked away during a water change and I ended up changing out more than 75% of the water. Time should fix this one.

Plants are looking bad to me... Lots of yellow leaves. I have the lighting on for about 9 hrs a day, though its been reduced to setting 4 on the Beamswork, and have been adding ferts weekly but not sure what I need to do about that or if its the natural cycle of the plants. My instinct tells me to go up a setting on the lights... Any thoughts?