Algae on anubias leaves, how to clean it?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I saw that Aquarium Co Op video of the puffer eating clams and it totally freaked me out! :eek::eek::eek:
My fahaka eats anything and almost everything..... the only thing he doesn’t eat is small fish like endlers, pea puffers, etc. not worth his time.

he will crunch a human fist full of ramshorn snails, he also attacks mystery snails, frozen krill, live crayfish, clams from the deli at Safeway, and even scallops

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My fahaka eats anything and almost everything..... the only thing he doesn’t eat is small fish like endlers, pea puffers, etc. not worth his time.

he will crunch a human fist full of ramshorn snails, he also attacks mystery snails, frozen krill, live crayfish, clams from the deli at Safeway, and even scallops

Ever get the feeling our fish eat better than we do? lol :D

Betty

Staff member
What sir_keith said about the nerite eggs is true -- I don't think you would handle it well. :lol
I had one that laid eggs all over everything and it was impossible to clean up all traces of them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well there goes that idea....

I would totally hate the eggs all over the place!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been having to pull plants out on occasion and clean leaves manually. Been using this ultra soft brush from Amazon.
9C02BDEA-D156-4A8F-BCFC-34C07DB031A9.jpeg
It is the one on the left. I make sure to lay the leaf in my hand as backing and gently swab from the center to outer edges. Been working well and the plants are looking good.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...Been having to pull plants out on occasion and clean leaves manually. Been using this ultra soft brush from Amazon... Been working well and the plants are looking good...

Maybe you'd like to come over and try this on my Anubias. :D I have five planted tanks that all look more-or-less like this-

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, Want to get this in check so Im not having to do this anymore. Hope is the bristle nosed pleco will keep it cleaner.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I bought an Anubis nana last week. Beautiful plant that was potted.... anyway, someone in my community tank liked it too much as when I can home today, the roots were out of the substrate and all of the leaves and stems have been stripped from the rhizome

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dmd, why not just leave them on the leaves and buy a SAE?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if I want to add a SAE, will look into it...

I spent time this afternoon with my angle grinder and diamond blade to cut the lava rock bases on my plants. Much better fit now.

My java fern has babies so I am going to see if I can start up some new plants.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 46 bowfront plants
IMG_20210224_191341235.jpg
I am trying to start up some more jave fern
IMG_20210224_192409059.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Questions on SAE for anyone out there using them. @sir_keith, @lloyd378, @fishguy1978

So there is a fish known as the flying fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus. This is not the true SAE?
58F6AD55-01DA-4508-BC94-401A6EAD1537.jpeg
The one I want is Crossocheilus oblongus?
C8B3AB86-0AC1-42CF-A8D6-D9603DC84506.jpeg
Best ways to tell them apart at the store? Seems flying fox has whiskers and black in fins?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I see Wet Spot also carries Crossocheilus reticulatus, Reticulated SAE
985C331C-21BF-439F-BC57-536C757BD447.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The Flying Fox and the Siamese Algae Eater are very easy to tell apart, the most obvious difference being that the Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus) has pigmented fins and the Siamese Algae Eater (generally called Crossocheilus oblongus or C. siamensis in this country) has transparent fins. Frankly, the flying fox is a prettier fish, but it is useless as an algae eater.

AE.jpg

It is more difficult to distinguish the SAE from the False Siamese Algae Eater (Garra cambodgiensis), but the latter is seldom seen in the hobby. The False SAE has a distinct white stripe above the dark lateral stripe that runs the full length of the body; in the SAE the reticulated scales extend all the way down the dorsal side of the fish to the lateral stripe. The pigmented lateral stripe in the SAE also extends into the tail; in the False SAE it does not. Here's a useful link-

https://www.tankarium.com/siamese-algae-eater/

I first tried SAE's in my tanks several years ago, and now keep groups of 4-6 individuals in all my larger (55g+) tanks. I really like them, and they completely eliminated hair algae from my tanks, My biggest concern initially was that they would get too large, but that has not been a problem as all my SAE's are ~3", even though most of them are 5+ years old. Apparently they need to be kept in ponds or really large aquaria with abundant water flow to achieve their maximum size of 6".

I am not sure that any algae eater will do the job to your standards, but SAE's are the best available, and they will certainly help. I obtained all my SAE's from PetSmart in Silverdale.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @sir_keith, Ive never kept them before, I appreciate the info. Wet Spot has them in stock and I have been thinking of ordering some Cuban Cichlid so I might get one for the bowfront.