AFRICANS!!!!!??????

A

Anonymous

sandnuka said:
cockat16.jpg
they look like punk rock chicks.

sandnuka

cacatuoides cichlid there from the apisto group.... just got a breedin pair! think they have a few more at "that fish place" in seattle on university place.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Every fish, put in a display tank correctly will have you lusting after it. African in particular, when done correctly wont hide, won't beat on eachother, and display behaviors not seen in other fish. Now that doesn't mean 90% of the people you see keeping Africans are doing it right, cause most of them arn't.

Size isnt an issue either. If you were purely going on size, you'd keep an emperor cichlid, 3 ft+ beats on giant lake turtles etc. And your big puffer you speak of, Mbu, is African.

As far as water parameters go, depending on where you live is what is "easier". Up near conway, the PH is higher 7.8-9.0. So you'd find it more difficult to keep your neutral ph monsters.

There is also size and cost appeal. Someone can setup a 55 gallon cichlid tank that'll last them their whole lives, and provide lots of activity, and color variety. It usually takes a 125 or larger to do most south americans correctly.

In a vacuum where tank size and money is a non issue. I'd actually make a biotope aquarium. With predators and everything. There are native bichers, and eels to the rift lakes.

I too, like large fish, but I find as time goes on, I just end up owning everything that peaks my interest. 31 aquariums, from 10g shrimp tanks to 305 monster fish tanks.

shua

Cory said:
Every fish, put in a display tank correctly will have you lusting after it. African in particular, when done correctly wont hide, won't beat on eachother, and display behaviors not seen in other fish. Now that doesn't mean 90% of the people you see keeping Africans are doing it right, cause most of them arn't.

Size isnt an issue either. If you were purely going on size, you'd keep an emperor cichlid, 3 ft+ beats on giant lake turtles etc. And your big puffer you speak of, Mbu, is African.

As far as water parameters go, depending on where you live is what is "easier". Up near conway, the PH is higher 7.8-9.0. So you'd find it more difficult to keep your neutral ph monsters.

There is also size and cost appeal. Someone can setup a 55 gallon cichlid tank that'll last them their whole lives, and provide lots of activity, and color variety. It usually takes a 125 or larger to do most south americans correctly.

In a vacuum where tank size and money is a non issue. I'd actually make a biotope aquarium. With predators and everything. There are native bichers, and eels to the rift lakes.

I too, like large fish, but I find as time goes on, I just end up owning everything that peaks my interest. 31 aquariums, from 10g shrimp tanks to 305 monster fish tanks.
well put thank you.. and what African polly whats the name

A

Anonymous

African Mbu Puffer

Tetraodon_mbu_StuartMorse_02.jpg

this fish is performing the patented BUCKTOOTH ATTACKKKK!!!!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Polypterus retropinnis West and Central Africa
Polypterus delhezi Central Africa: Congo river, Upper and middle Congo
Polypterus endlicheri congicus Congo, Lake Tanganyika
Ornate bichir Central and East Africa: Congo river basin, Lake Tanganyika
Senegal bichir Africa: East, West and central

I just posted a bunch of the common bichers.

And this is what I mean, you almost never see someone keep cooler bichers with their Frontosa tank. A lot of setups could be made "cool" by researching fish origins and doing a setup correctly. Reason being, they just follow whatever the internet trend is. Simply grow your fronts to 6 inches, then add in the bichers, cause obviously the bichers will outgrow the fronts and you could have problems there. And they both would live off the same food etc.

I sell senegal bichers to people all the time for their african tanks, that are filled with mbuna, peacocks, haps etc.

Now I don't expect everyone to know this kinda stuff, but this is what we do every day up in Conway. We sell and practice africans. Because we feel they offer the most interesting fish. Most people only think of mbuna, malawi, and tang cichlids when they hear african. There are other lakes, and lots of rivers, that have lots of fish people keep that they never even knew were african.

alexmuw

I agree with the bichirs in an African tank. My bichir really helps me out by keeping my fry population down. Not to mention, they look awesome!!

GoodnNuff

Ok, you guys are piquing my interest in cichlids, especially the smaller ones.

I have a 29 gallon cube sitting empty right now, what could I keep in that small of a tank?