AFRICANS!!!!!??????

shua

i dont get it what every ones obsession is

why i dislike them
1. they are tine tiny

2. they all look exactly alike

3. they are a pain to care for

4. they are extremely skittish

im not tryin to bash every ones fish on here but tell me whats so exiting about them?????

sidekicking

dude it doesn't matter what kind of fish you get they will all look the same

and there not a pain to take care of....challenging would be a better word I'm pretty sure everyone here likes a challenge or else the hobby would be boring....(just throw some water in a tank and some fish and call it a day) that doesn't sound very fun
but theres also plenty of easier Africans that don't require that much maintenance

and their size is the best thing you can keep a smaller tank with bunch of fish
not everyone wants a huge tank at home

also none of Africans are skittish as soon as they see someone they come to the top of the tank and they will all follow your finger...cause they think they are getting some food lol

well this is what I think

A

Anonymous

I ate a seahorse..I say F@#* SEAHORSES!

So, a 16" Frontosa is a tiny fish?

You never kept Africans? Maybe you should, I think you would like them.

alexmuw

I keep both Africans and Americans.

First off, most people seem to think all Africans are Mbunas (petco/petsmart africans). Not true! There's Haps (large), peacocks (medium), talapia variants (frontosa, buttikoferi), etc...

Second, IMO, Africans are more colorful. Victorians are a good example of this. Haps also have some exoctic colors, as well as peacocks.

Third, most Africans are usually more expensive than Americans. This can be a negative for many hobbyists.

However, it is true Americans are more intelligent and have more personality. My trimac drives me crazy at times, but he's great! I really like my Carpintis, one of my favs!

Hate is not needed! Why can't we like both for their own unique traits!.

A

Anonymous

More intelligent and more personality than a Mpimbwe Frontosa? Surely you jest, my good man. Dare I say the Frontosa is the end all-be all of Africans in my opinion. I have 20 of these brilliant LANGUAGE in a 180..love them.

shua

sidekicking said:
So SHUA can you tell us
why you like the fish you keep better than the Africans??
are they much easier to keep?
i belive that they are i dont have to worry about keeping the water hard along with all the other things that come with the hobby

i like my fish simply because they are big as eff, fast as eff, and yes (not to be rude)16'' is tiny.
why would you not want a bigger tank is the question?
and the only tank that ive seen of these fish are so scared they dont ever show themselves hide in caves, shells, ext,ext how weak.

and i am not trying to stir the pot i just dont get it and am trying to understand this part of the hobby (dont knock it till you try it so to speak)

shua

sidekicking said:
dude it doesn't matter what kind of fish you get they will all look the same
ahhhh ????

stingrays puffers and huge catfish????? i see nothing similar with these fish; and with the fish that i like i dont have to stick to one same bodied fish in one tank.

icer711

shua said:
i dont get it what every ones obsession is

why i dislike them
1. they are tine tiny

2. they all look exactly alike

3. they are a pain to care for

4. they are extremely skittish

im not tryin to bash every ones fish on here but tell me whats so exiting about them?????

1. tiny lol yes there no 2'+ cat but some hit about the one foot mark no problem (venustus and Livingston) both big fish

2. look alike... that would be the petstore carp they carry about 5-10 species of 200+ i will give you the fact the there are some that look similar and it also doesn't help your not a fan of them so there just another small fish

3. pain.... there in most cases easier to care for than gold fish (i think your lookin at the wrong fish) ;)

4. skittish lol it nature, but most are not they beg like dogs, people swear i never feed them (peacocks not so much, much more laid back more like cats)

and the exciting part it that you can have the color of saltwater for 2/3 less in price (which for most means more fish) and no crazy up keep to the water after all it fresh water :D

and you should come watch my vics i will keep these small guys of a big cat any day :D and yes i would love to have a big cat but then i could only have 1 or 2 i find one or two fish kinda boring but that's just me

sandnuka

Funny... I just had this conversation with Rattle (keith) he is into New world Cichlids, I am more into African cichlids. Really there was no way I could convince him africans were better, and no way he could convince me his big New world guys are better.

You can see everyone is trying to argue your reasons 1 - 4 for disliking them... Im not.... I will simply tell you why I like them.

1. There color! WOAH! BLUES, YELLOWS, REDS, GREENS, PINKS my tank looks like a rainbow!

2. Mouthbrooders - I love breedin fish... I hate lookin after eggs.... My africans do all the work for me, then when i decide I want to do some work, I strip from a mom and out come lil fry... and they are ready to eat crushed flake, no dealin with bbs, microworms, etc.

3. There size, I absolutly hate having 10 fish in a 200+ gallon tank... what a waste! Now 100+ fish in that same tank with all my fav. colors looks AWESOME! (There not skittish if you take away hiding spots, and overstock the tank)

4. Colony.... the establishing of a peckin order (hiearchy), alpha male gets to pimp the girls, beta male if he is lucky... other males are screwed... its like highschool reality show! LOL

There is why I like them..... Fish look like fish..... all fish look the same to me... They have two eyes, gills, tales, fins, a mouth, so I dont care if you like big ones or little ones, flat ones or fat ones, Long ones or stubby ones.... all fish are the same. Thing that seperates them is the color for me.... and africans have by far better color than any other freshwater fish.... could take a poll on that one! lol

hap-ny10.jpg
hap10.jpg
dragon12.jpg
lake_t13.jpg
christ12.jpg

sandnuka

Oh yeah... forgot... i like a challenge when carin for fish... anyone can keep a goldfish.... takes skill to breed discus, tropheus, etc.... I like to feel like a job well done when Im finished... not like a baby couldve done it.

icer711

not every one can keep a gold fish well feeder gold fish maybe ;)
how can argue with these? but to each his own
GeorgiaAquarium0601.jpg

[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/1bb7q3L7uVM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash] :cheers:

HALP

I kept africans for like 8 months and about got out of the hobby i was so bored with them. They just dont seem to have any personality whatsoever. So glad i sold them all and tried americans before i quit.

My ca/sa can interact with me. Most eat from my hand and a few even let me pet them.

lars on

Even though Ive only had them for a week, I like my Midas better then when I kept the Africans. Not that they arent beauiful, but the midas and the little jack I have have so much personality. Glare at you for food, follow you around the tank. If I dont sit infront of the jack tank for atleast 5-10 minutes everyday he will float there STARING at me until I come over and look at him.

sandnuka

To each his own... couldnt say it better myself..... Cat person, dog person.... african cichlids, New world cichlids..... I do dig the personality of my previous New world guys.... just dont want huge tanks anymore.... I like dwarfs and discus if I do anything besides my african guys. Just got some of these! there awesome! already spawning for me! You like these guys, or do you think there more like africans?

cockat16.jpg

A

Anonymous

I just like telling people I have a tank full of Africans at home.