AFRICANS!!!!!??????

GoodnNuff

Thanks Alex.
Yeah I need a bigger tank, or two.

I have a 75 gal buried in the back of a storage unit, but need to get rid of some parrots/cages before I have room for another tank (actually the tiled "bird room" would make a fine fish room...).

Oh - I'm talking feathered parrots, not those weird hybrid fish with odd eyes and mouths.

A

Anonymous

Cory said:
Reason being, they just follow whatever the internet trend is.
Or, we just really like a tank with nothing but fronts in it. Could that also be a possibility or is everyone a mindless sheep following an internet trend to you?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Spyral said:
Cory said:
Or, we just really like a tank with nothing but fronts in it. Could that also be a possibility or is everyone a mindless sheep following an internet trend to you?
That could be a possibility. Could also be a possibility that people like to replicate what they see.

Billiethekid

Cory said:
Spyral said:
Cory said:
That could be a possibility. Could also be a possibility that people like to replicate what they see.
I will admit i didnt do any research on my fish till after i joined this forum.. and i decided cichlids cause i was all about colors... now not so much... more on personality...
so until i joined this forum i thought cichlids were a vicious fish tht was colorful and nobody wanted to try to put them in a tank... i found out wrong (i started researching cause mine kept having seizures... litterally flitter around tank and stop moving then come back to live for 20 min and go belly up for good...)

shua

Cory said:
Every fish, put in a display tank correctly will have you lusting after it. African in particular, when done correctly wont hide, won't beat on eachother, and display behaviors not seen in other fish. Now that doesn't mean 90% of the people you see keeping Africans are doing it right, cause most of them arn't.

Size isnt an issue either. If you were purely going on size, you'd keep an emperor cichlid, 3 ft+ beats on giant lake turtles etc. And your big puffer you speak of, Mbu, is African.

As far as water parameters go, depending on where you live is what is "easier". Up near conway, the PH is higher 7.8-9.0. So you'd find it more difficult to keep your neutral ph monsters.

There is also size and cost appeal. Someone can setup a 55 gallon cichlid tank that'll last them their whole lives, and provide lots of activity, and color variety. It usually takes a 125 or larger to do most south americans correctly.

In a vacuum where tank size and money is a non issue. I'd actually make a biotope aquarium. With predators and everything. There are native bichers, and eels to the rift lakes.

I too, like large fish, but I find as time goes on, I just end up owning everything that peaks my interest. 31 aquariums, from 10g shrimp tanks to 305 monster fish tanks.
sorry for jumping so far back in the thread but, i was more talking about afracan chiclids because i love ATF, mirus puffers, nile perch but as for the lake fish no offense this is what i feel like
185565.gif

sandnuka

oh yeah... forgot about talapia buttikoiferi.... You would like thoughs shua.... they are big, aggressive, much like the predators you love so much... and they are african.... cool fish, I actually had one in a SA cichlid tank once... it killed allot of the other fish... lol
talapi11.jpg