African Leaf Fish

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
He or she was an impulse buy at a PETCO (unbelievable) and he's really turned out to be one of my fav fishes ever. He's got Oscar personality with a sprinkling of shyness. Watching him open those big lips and devour a frozen bloodworm chunk - just to poo poo it out later because it's too big - is worth the amount of admission. I call him Leify - after Leif Erickson. Bloodworms are his go - to. He gives me the middle fin on anything else.

There's some vids on YouTube - my fav is "My African Leaf Fish is a Pig". LOL

Discuss!

Leif Erikson 4.5.17.jpg

Betty

Staff member
I like it. :) I've seen these in stores, but don't know anything about them. Do they get along with others? Are they jumpers?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The leaf fishes are very cool looking. :thumbsup

On my wish list of unusual fish I would like to keep.

Yours looks happy and not too skinny... not muffin-top happy like some other fish I know, lol :wink

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I like it. :) I've seen these in stores, but don't know anything about them. Do they get along with others? Are they jumpers?

He hasn't been a problem for jumping - but I've got it locked up pretty tight in the 29. He gets along with his neighbors -- all of which grew up together. 2 Koi Angels, 5 Giant Danios, 1 big bristlenose pleco. There's one SAE in the tank that he hasn't eaten (was three). Oh and there's a Long Fin Rosy Barb in there too.

He was but an inch long when I brought him home; commiserate with the others. Perhaps they've all "gotten used to each other" or something. No nipped fins and the Angels really do have the longest fins...incredible.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The leaf fishes are very cool looking. :thumbsup

On my wish list of unusual fish I would like to keep.

Yours looks happy and not too skinny... not muffin-top happy like some other fish I know, lol :wink

He's no PORKCHOP, that's for sure! hahahaha But he gets plenty to eat. I make sure of that. Because those angels can be piggy with the bloodworms.....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The best part about Leif is how he GREATLY extends his big lips to capture Blood Worm chunks. He takes way more than his share - of course - but somehow, he gets it all down - for the most part. I've seen him "burp" worms more times than I can count. It's pretty funny actually.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've had one of those. loved feeding it guppies!

Interestingly enough, I'm using a version of my FAVORITE Cory McElroy metaphor ("going to live with the turtles") and saying "Jacked up Endlers are going to LIVE WITH LEIF" (or not). There's one in the grow out tank right now with kind of a strange hump back --- I think he's going to visit Leif.

There's lots of cover. He could make it. It's a crap-shoot.

julzhull

Interestingly enough, I'm using a version of my FAVORITE Cory McElroy metaphor ("going to live with the turtles") and saying "Jacked up Endlers are going to LIVE WITH LEIF" (or not). There's one in the grow out tank right now with kind of a strange hump back --- I think he's going to visit Leif.

There's lots of cover. He could make it. It's a crap-shoot.
I had to send a guppy baby with a bent spine (bent downwards oddly) to "live with the angels". He didn't make it. On one hand I felt a little sad, on the other hand it was interesting to see the angels chase him down. One of the little females got him.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I had to send a guppy baby with a bent spine (bent downwards oddly) to "live with the angels". He didn't make it. On one hand I felt a little sad, on the other hand it was interesting to see the angels chase him down. One of the little females got him.

Yeah - I probably won't watch. I have SOME limitations with regard to "nature". I can't watch a lion take down a zebra either. Just not in my DNA.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@DMD123 - if you don't mind, I'm going to have a couple of drinks before I watch THAT video. I must numb my senses somehow...........

julzhull

Yeah - I probably won't watch. I have SOME limitations with regard to "nature". I can't watch a lion take down a zebra either. Just not in my DNA.
I have a tough time with it as well and normally don't watch that stuff. I do love seeing my fahaka eat snails though.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@DMD123 - oh man. that was soooooo anti-climatic! *dying laughing*

Hey I used to have Oscars, I've tossed in feeder goldfish - believe me. NOT my favorite thing in the world, however. After the Oscars all kicked the bucket (died of old age), I got an iguana named Eddie Vedder; A VEGETARIAN! My problems were over. lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have a tough time with it as well and normally don't watch that stuff. I do love seeing my fahaka eat snails though.

I have gotten used to this as well. I've got a dang snail farm going over here....something has to give! I can't ship a sour cream container full of red ramshorn snails to @L190 every week. LOL

Interestingly, after I cleaned house - so to speak - I have lots of eggs going - but few snails. I really really REALLY cleaned house around here.