African Leaf Fish

dwarfpike

They are great fish, though despite their name they are more closely related to gouramis than true leaf fish. Will get about 6" but are slow growers. And of course, will suck down anything live in the tank that they get a chance to. But amazing fish.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
They are great fish, though despite their name they are more closely related to gouramis than true leaf fish. Will get about 6" but are slow growers. And of course, will suck down anything live in the tank that they get a chance to. But amazing fish.

@julzhull is bringing over three giant SAEs on Monday. I'm certain they'll be too big and too speedy for Leif to fit in his giant maw. I'm excited to see how the SAEs will re-scape the tank. Or rather, UNSCAPE the algae.

@Loren - FYI

Loren

With the right balance of light and water chemistry NEVER. That is what I am striving for. I am running some of my tank lights now 3 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on. I am determined to beat this. ;)

julzhull

With the right balance of light and water chemistry NEVER. That is what I am striving for. I am running some of my tank lights now 3 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on. I am determined to beat this. ;)
I should be working on it too, but it makes my brain hurt. We use the finnex 24/7 light and for the first several months of the tank we didn't have issues. Right now I need to figure out why the nitrates are consistently around 40-60 in that tank with no addition of fish. I moved a few small angels out and it might help to have the SAE's go as well.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm terrible. My algae is surely my fault. I turn the lights on when I go to work - 5am-ish and then I turn them off when I'm too drunk to remember to turn them off --- time is variable.

I know I know I know I am OVER LIGHTING these tanks.....

julzhull

I'm terrible. My algae is surely my fault. I turn the lights on when I go to work - 5am-ish and then I turn them off when I'm too drunk to remember to turn them off --- time is variable.

I know I know I know I am OVER LIGHTING these tanks.....
That's why I got timers for the lights I have to turn on like that.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Tonight, they are schooling with the Giant Danios. Like one giant pack. It's crazy in there.

I'm convinced. The Three Amigos think they're Giant Danios. And the Giant Danios agree. They're all high fiving each other and running around the tank and talking about what they're going to do this weekend.....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well I was going to release Leafy from the competition of the giant Koi angels -- he's kinda shy - and put him in his own 29G (that I got from Loren) - but now, I have to put Raggedy Andy in there (Romeo's new name). Twenty nine gallons for a single male betta. Do you think he's spoiled? LOL

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well I was going to release Leafy from the competition of the giant Koi angels -- he's kinda shy - and put him in his own 29G (that I got from Loren) - but now, I have to put Raggedy Andy in there (Romeo's new name). Twenty nine gallons for a single male betta. Do you think he's spoiled? LOL

UPDATE - Romeo went in the 55G "Happy Tank" - the only danger is Mr Magic (giant catfish and getting gianter) He seems to be doing OK, but the flow might be too much for him. There's dead spots in there - and no one will be nipping his fins. He was looking PATHETIC in the salad bowl.