A lame old Oscar... lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I have pretty much decided I am going to move on and the Red Isletas will go. I have actually been leaning toward the good old common Oscar fish. I had kept one a few years back but lost interest due to the lack of color. It was really healthy but bland looking. See what I mean:

This guy grew from a tiny little Petsmart fish at about 2" to an 11"+ fish in about six months. I dont doubt that if I kept him he would have been at least 16".

So I think I am pretty sure Im going down the Oscar route again but looking for a Red Oscar or Lemon as the occupant for the 72g bowfront. Another possibility would be a Bumblebee Oscar or a Astronotus crassipinnis "Big Eye Oscar", but these both go back to a really bland look.

So anyone else like Oscar fish?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested in finding some high quality stock. Longfin albino tigers from the transhipper this week :p

But I've been thinking about pairing up some Oscars with My clown loaches in my 180 gallon mainly cause I've never kept an oscar for more than 3 months.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Longfin are interesting because you just dont see them that often. I saw a longfin tiger that was an accidental shipment in a Petsmart once, I almost bought it to resell but just did not have the space to do it at that moment.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
:suspect: :no: :vomit: :roll:D 
At this point I am feeling that way about a certain amphilophus occupant... zero personality. Ive never had an amp get to be so lame. Ive given it tons of time and nothing. I dont want to have to add another fish to make it do something so no girlfriend for him. Its just officially time to move on.

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Madness said:
:suspect: :no: :vomit: :roll:D 
At this point I am feeling that way about a certain amphilophus occupant... zero personality. Ive never had an amp get to be so lame. Ive given it tons of time and nothing. I dont want to have to add another fish to make it do something so no girlfriend for him. Its just officially time to move on.
 :cry:  But I understand. I have kicked some women to the curb for the same reason.  :lmfao: :lmfao: 

Its all good, whats a little jabbing amongst boxers.  :geek: 

So Rapps doesnt have anything in the Oscar world that may interest you?

anthony

Hey DMD so many other fish out there that could have a personality Hoga-red devil-green terror-jag .What about a rare pike?? but an Oscar lets not take it all the way back to first grade ! How about ditching the heater and putting some feeder goldfish in there. I'm just messing around but I have seen a lot of glass banging fish with personality If your going for the one fish look how about a show Kamfa flowerhorn ? Don't Oscar me bro!!!!!!!!How big is the amp. you have now? he might become a best when he gets bigger!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
So Rapps doesnt have anything in the Oscar world that may interest you?
Maybe a Bumblebee but big $$$ right now, plus no group buy...

anthony said:
but an Oscar lets not take it all the way back to first grade
Sometimes getting back to basics is where its at!

Just not feeling an amp right now. I had a wonderful midas some years back and I have never been able to replace it. Ive started down the road with a lot of different ones including Hoga, RD and now my 6" Red Isletas. Its just time for me to move on.

anthony

I had a few fish that felt like pets but a lot more that were just fish. I was just messing around. I've seen a wild Oscar that was cool before and I saw bumble bees at a place for pets back when kevin was there but with Oscars it always seems like a tank full of ugly ones and one good looking one I would be kind of sketchy about buying just 1 in the mail. Good luck bro

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Aquairum paradise had an albino red Oscar about 3" which had , in my opinion, the perfect body shape!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
And the colors on this fish were more on the lemon spectrum then the red/orange coloring..... Great, now I may have to get one too.... With all this talk

A

Anonymous

'So anyone else like Oscar fish?'

DMD123,
I've always like the Oscar fish. Never picked one up due to them being so common but I like them. Just the other day I was reading up on all the color morphs there where out there. I do like the big EYE Oscar and wanted to dig a pond outside for WC but that was a fantasy that quickly got flushed down the toilet (no pun intended).

KaraWolf

:D my dad had one that bit when I was in gradeschool. Totally awesome. When my 125 finally goes up I'm putting an albino tiger Oscar and a tiger Oscar in. Plus delhazi bichirs. :D Just cause they're common doesn't mean they're not awesome.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Aquairum paradise had an albino red Oscar about 3" which had , in my opinion, the perfect body shape!
Sounds like a nice fish!

Ive never been a fan of the 'albino' or Lutino Oscars but I have seen a few I liked. Most were the albino red breed.

lloyd378 said:
And the colors on this fish were more on the lemon spectrum then the red/orange coloring..... Great, now I may have to get one too.... With all this talk
Sounds like you have talked yourself into it!
Been looking for a true sunshine lemon but super rare, may have to get the next best thing.

Its OK to like Oscars...  :D 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I know nothing of them, so excuse my lack of knowledge if this is a horrible suggestion, what about a Peacock bass? I love the looks of them and would have one and research them more if I had room for one.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I know nothing of them, so excuse my lack of knowledge if this is a horrible suggestion, what about a Peacock bass? I love the looks of them and would have one and research them more if I had room for one.
This is for a 72 gallon bowfront so the bass would be just a wee bit too big.... I could do one in my 210g but all is well in there and I have plans already for it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so this is kind of funny. I dont like line bred fish like EBJD and I dont like hybrids like flowerhorns but I do like specialized Oscars (yep, line bred). Go figure!

This is what Im on the hunt for:
Sunshine Lemon Oscar

Hyper Red or Super/Bloody Red Oscar

Those are very difficult to find so what Im really looking for is just a simple red Oscar that is red not orange, I want this:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/57-only-oscars/279776-show-off-your-red-oscar?start=10

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Aquairum paradise had what appeared to be a sunshine Oscar...... It's the one I was talking about that I liked!

dwarfpike

From what I've read on quite a few forums, those super reds lose their bright red once the hormones wear off.