75g stand build

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow those xenotilapia are cool. Do you mainly keep them in colonies? And have you had success spawning them?

Yes and yes. Xeno's are social fishes, and need to be kept in groups. I have a few females holding now. I have had several spawns this year, but the females are just learning how to hold to term. I do not strip my mouthbrooders.

I also have two Xenotilapia species- X. spiopterus and X. flavipinnis- that are biparental mouthbrooders. They need a completely different tank setup for breeding, and I'm just getting ready to try that. I had a 55g ready for them, but then my O. nasuta Kipili Gold's started spawning, and I needed the tank for them. I'm not complaining. Here are some of my Kipili Gold fry; I have 20 of them at present, from two different females. Two of the older ones at the bottom of the pic are already turning gold-

IMGP7184.jpg

cjag

Yes and yes. Xeno's are social fishes, and need to be kept in groups. I have a few females holding now. I have had several spawns this year, but the females are just learning how to hold to term. I do not strip my mouthbrooders.

I also have two Xenotilapia species- X. spiopterus and X. flavipinnis- that are biparental mouthbrooders. They need a completely different tank setup for breeding, and I'm just getting ready to try that. I had a 55g ready for them, but then my O. nasuta Kipili Gold's started spawning, and I needed the tank for them. I'm not complaining. Here are some of my Kipili Gold fry; I have 20 of them at present, from two different females. Two of the older ones at the bottom of the pic are already turning gold-

View attachment 7288
Wow good looking little dudes. Because they need a big group looks like they would need a pretty large aquarium to be kept with other tangs. I have a couple 2oL I'm looking to do something with but I don't think these would work :confused:. Still, gorgeous fish I will have to look into some day when I have the room.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow good looking little dudes. Because they need a big group looks like they would need a pretty large aquarium to be kept with other tangs. I have a couple 2oL I'm looking to do something with but I don't think these would work :confused:. Still, gorgeous fish I will have to look into some day when I have the room.

Yes, you need big-ish tanks to keep these fishes. Something to look forward to...

Tank

Awesome build! This is perfect timing for inspiration!!!!! I just got the OK for a Top rack of shrimp tanks and a 75g down below so I'm going to have to build another stand soon too!!! It's been a while though last time I just made one for my old 125g!

cjag

Awesome build! This is perfect timing for inspiration!!!!! I just got the OK for a Top rack of shrimp tanks and a 75g down below so I'm going to have to build another stand soon too!!! It's been a while though last time I just made one for my old 125g!
New projects are always exciting! What are you planning for the 75?

Tank

New projects are always exciting! What are you planning for the 75?
Currently housing a flowerhorn pair that has since divorced lol so I'll either be looking for a new female or new male depending on what catches my eye first I guess? How about you?

cjag

Haha who gets to keep the tank?

I'm thinking of a SA community tank with some cichlids. I was thinking of Geophagus tapajos but I decided that keeping a group of five or more in a 75 and still have other fish would be too much. So I'm looking into electric blue acaras or something that would make me as happy as the geos would. I'll just wait until I can fit a 6ft tank somewhere to do the geos effectively.

cjag

Here is the end of the process. Putting some shims under the final plywood piece and a final setup tonight. I'm still preparing all of the wood that will be going in with anchored anubias. I'm pretty happy with the final result. I left the back completely bare which has been awesome for setup and will make maintenance and storage ez.

20201216_140652.jpg 20201217_175932.jpg