75g stand build

cjag

Here's some pics of the stand build so far. I didn't take many pics of the process but here's what I have so far. I have no woodworking experience but it was pretty straightforward. I will be adding some 1x4s around the exterior and staining the whole thing a dark cherry color. I'll post more pictures as I get it done!

cjag

Here's some pics of the stand build so far. I didn't take many pics of the process but here's what I have so far. I have no woodworking experience but it was pretty straightforward. I will be adding some 1x4s around the exterior and staining the whole thing a dark cherry color. I'll post more pictures as I get it done!
Well... the pics won't upload :confused:

cjag

Turned this really nice looking pallet into siding for the stand. Here are some of the pieces and one of the doors after sanding and staining. I will hopefully be assembling tomorrow when all the pieces dry :thumbsup

20201214_123418.jpg 20201214_123429.jpg 20201214_150125.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Talking about beasts, I got a great deal on a 100g acrylic tank with a home-made stand from @Elblin on this board in 2016. The stand was waaayyyy overbuilt out of laminate veneer lumber (LVL), and two guys could hardly lift the thing. It was also built for a tank with a 60 x 24" footprint, so I decided to modify it to fit the 60 x 18" 100g. I didn't know what I was getting into.

At first I thought I'd just disassemble the back of the stand, cut the cross members down 6", then put it back together. But no, not only was the stand nailed together, it was also glued, and taking it apart was impossible. So I just cut the back off. Here it is-

IMGP5196.jpg

Here's the stand with the back removed-

IMGP5199.jpg

I then rebuilt the back, once again using LVL. Here is the stand with the new back in place-

IMGP5204.jpg

And the completed project-

IMGP5310.jpg

I need beer after just talking about this project! :zzz

cjag

Talking about beasts, I got a great deal on a 100g acrylic tank with a home-made stand from @Elblin on this board in 2016. The stand was waaayyyy overbuilt out of laminate veneer lumber (LVL), and two guys could hardly lift the thing. It was also built for a tank with a 60 x 24" footprint, so I decided to modify it to fit the 60 x 18" 100g. I didn't know what I was getting into.

At first I thought I'd just disassemble the back of the stand, cut the cross members down 6", then put it back together. But no, not only was the stand nailed together, it was also glued, and taking it apart was impossible. So I just cut the back off. Here it is-

View attachment 7277

View attachment 7278

I then rebuilt the back, once again using LVL. Here is the stand with the new back in place-

View attachment 7279

View attachment 7280

Holy smokes you could park a truck on that thing. Finished project looks amazing though!

cjag

View attachment 7277

View attachment 7278

View attachment 7279

View attachment 7280

Also I heard you're the one to talk to about tanganyikans. What are your favorite lesser known tangs? Things apart from shellies, julies, comps, paracyps and stuff.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Also I heard you're the one to talk to about tanganyikans. What are your favorite lesser known tangs? Things apart from shellies, julies, comps, paracyps and stuff.

Well, I have kept and bred all kinds of Tropheus for ~20 years, and they are great fun, but for the last few years I've also been keeping sandy biotope fishes, namely Ophthalmotiapia, Xenotilapia, and Enantiopus. These are delicate and demanding fishes, but they are awesome. They do all the cool cichlid stuff, with elaborate displays, nest building, etc., but intraspecific aggression is very ritualized, so they never seem to damage each other. I like that. I have a thread in the African Cichlids section of this board about breeding my wild-caught Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold that you might want to check out. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite fishes-

Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold, wild-caught alpha male in normal coloration. In breeding dress his head and fins turn smokey black-

IMGP6613R1.jpg

Here is one of his favorite spawning partners-

IMGP7048.jpg

Xenotilapia singularis (formerly X. ochrogenys 'Ndole')-

IMG_0457.jpg

Enantiopus kilesa (formerly Xenotilapia sp. 'kilesa')-

IMGP6566R1.jpg

I like the fact that all these fishes can be kept in planted tanks, and have been surprised at how well Anubias do in pH9 water-

IMG_0572.jpg

Finally, a mixed colony of Tropheus sp. 'Ikola' and Tropheus annectens. These fishes occur sympatrically in the lake-

IMGP6800.jpg

cjag

Well, I have kept and bred all kinds of Tropheus for ~20 years, and they are great fun, but for the last few years I've also been keeping sandy biotope fishes, namely Ophthalmotiapia, Xenotilapia, and Enantiopus. These are delicate and demanding fishes, but they are awesome. They do all the cool cichlid stuff, with elaborate displays, nest building, etc., but intraspecific aggression is very ritualized, so they never seem to damage each other. I like that. I have a thread in the African Cichlids section of this board about breeding my wild-caught Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold that you might want to check out. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite fishes-

Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold, wild-caught alpha male in normal coloration. In breeding dress his head and fins turn smokey black-

View attachment 7282

Here is one of his favorite spawning partners-

View attachment 7283

Xenotilapia singularis (formerly X. ochrogenys 'Ndole')-

View attachment 7284

Enantiopus kilesa (formerly Xenotilapia sp. 'kilesa')-

View attachment 7285

I like the fact that all these fishes can be kept in planted tanks, and have been surprised at how well Anubias do in pH9 water-

View attachment 7286

Finally, a mixed colony of Tropheus sp. 'Ikola' and Tropheus annectens. These fishes occur sympatrically in the lake-

View attachment 7287
Wow those xenotilapia are cool. Do you mainly keep them in colonies? And have you had success spawning them?