75 gallon freshwater better filtration ideas/advice?

zach_discus

I will make it a point to not add info from now on to easily offended peoples threads :) or reply to threads that are conversations between just two people.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Both of our sides have been stated. To discontinue derailing this thread can we please return back to the filtration topic.

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I don't already have the canister. I was talking to an experienced keeper, on another site, who doesn't like canisters. And I can't say that I do either but my lack of knowledge and experience I though I was over looking them because of that. I like the 3 level idea though. That makes complete sense. I wonder if a sponge filter and another HOB would take care of any and all levels?
Just 2 HOB's rated for "up to" 60 gallons, or 600 GPH is turning the water 8X. This is pretty darn good! slapping a fat sponge filter on the bottom is just going to add to biological filtration. If I was going to have 2 HOB I still would stagger the pickups. One at mid level, the other deeper.

The canister filter on my 9.5 was the 1st canister I've tried. I would totally dig it if I could DYI a micro sump. And i may at some point but the small canister filter seems to be working fine. I modified the hook up so I can adjust water flow and easily disconnect without making a mess so it definitely wasn't plug and play. I also have the canister sitting in a  Tupperware  so I don't make a mess.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Sweet I have an easy spot to hide a sponge filter so I think I will stagger the two HOB's like you suggested fishNAbowl and add a large sponge filter in too

hose91

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I want to change the filtration to something better even if I don't. I have over filtration on there now with currently 2 Aquatech 30-60 HOB's on the tank and running no carbon with pot scrubbies for added bio media right now. For a total of over 600 gph. However, I know AquaClear filters are better. I was considering adding a Magnum 350, an AquaClear 50 and then a sponge filter as well. I really want to have the best filtration as possible.

Do you think this would be a good set up or should I modify it or leave the AT's and add other since I have modified them from their original set up anyways?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do want to stay away from large amounts of media, thus the Magnum 350 fit better to the route I wanted to go.
Sounds like you've settled on a reasonable course of action.  I do have a question.  You'd like to improve your 75G filtration regardless of the Discus decision, but I'm not sure you ever say what it is about your current filtration that seems lacking?  Are your nitrates higher than you'd like each week at water change time?  Are you seeing a lot of physical debris in the tank, or is the water clarity not what you'd like?  I have two Eheim 2217's on my 75G African Mbuna tank.  They do an AWESOME job of housing the bacteria and processing the ammonia and nitrites, but imo they only do an OK job of capturing all the poop.  It does end up in one spot, so I can suck it out pretty easily when I want to, but that doesn't seem to be a real strength of my canisters.  They do hold lots of media, and filter a TON of water hourly though.  

Just wondering.  The sponge will improve your bio, and maybe mechanical a little.  The staggered inlets are a good idea as well for capturing more "stuff".    How are you measuring any improvement with your changes?  Fewer water changes required?  better clarity?  What makes the Aquaclears "better" for your situation?

I love to tinker with my tanks, but sometimes I have to step back and just ask myself wtf I am trying to achieve, and then I have a clearer idea of what I want to do, and prevent from changing stuff just to change it.   Thinking about what aspect of your filtration you're aiming to improve might help you better predict if your changes are going to help you achieve your goals there.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
hose91 said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I want to change the filtration to something better even if I don't. I have over filtration on there now with currently 2 Aquatech 30-60 HOB's on the tank and running no carbon with pot scrubbies for added bio media right now. For a total of over 600 gph. However, I know AquaClear filters are better. I was considering adding a Magnum 350, an AquaClear 50 and then a sponge filter as well. I really want to have the best filtration as possible.

Do you think this would be a good set up or should I modify it or leave the AT's and add other since I have modified them from their original set up anyways?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do want to stay away from large amounts of media, thus the Magnum 350 fit better to the route I wanted to go.
Sounds like you've settled on a reasonable course of action.  I do have a question.  You'd like to improve your 75G filtration regardless of the Discus decision, but I'm not sure you ever say what it is about your current filtration that seems lacking?  Are your nitrates higher than you'd like each week at water change time?  Are you seeing a lot of physical debris in the tank, or is the water clarity not what you'd like?  I have two Eheim 2217's on my 75G African Mbuna tank.  They do an AWESOME job of housing the bacteria and processing the ammonia and nitrites, but imo they only do an OK job of capturing all the poop.  It does end up in one spot, so I can suck it out pretty easily when I want to, but that doesn't seem to be a real strength of my canisters.  They do hold lots of media, and filter a TON of water hourly though.  

Just wondering.  The sponge will improve your bio, and maybe mechanical a little.  The staggered inlets are a good idea as well for capturing more "stuff".    How are you measuring any improvement with your changes?  Fewer water changes required?  better clarity?  What makes the Aquaclears "better" for your situation?

I love to tinker with my tanks, but sometimes I have to step back and just ask myself wtf I am trying to achieve, and then I have a clearer idea of what I want to do, and prevent from changing stuff just to change it.   Thinking about what aspect of your filtration you're aiming to improve might help you better predict if your changes are going to help you achieve your goals there.
Now that's the kind of answer I like! :D I would like clearer water that's for sure but my levels are all good. AquaTech filters are Walmart cheapies. I have heard nothing but good things about AC's and sponge filters and figured they'd do a better job with keeping the tank cleaner and clearer. Less water changes isn't a goal. I do 25% weekly WC's now. I have a sailfin pleco and featherfin catfish that put out the most waste for the tank mates so I try to clean their preferred areas more to keep the tank cleaner. I am also going to be changing the substrate up a bit to accommodate better for plants and to reduce the amount of waste/food that gets down between the current substrate and lost to the fish. I hope that will as well help for a cleaner tank. I see these people with crystal clear water and wish it was mine. Mine isn't cloudy or anything. I just feel it would be better.

hose91

Ok, I'll buy that. I have an AC20, AC30, and AC50 on my 3 smaller tanks. (20G, 20G and 29G, respectively). They are a bit louder than I expected (impeller noise, not trickle noise), but I really do like the design of their filter baskets and that they're flexible and don't require me to insert a prefabbed cartridge.

AC's may have more flow than your ATs given the same rating. The impeller seems pretty good on my AC's.

I like canisters because they are super quiet (in the house instead of the garage), and LOTS of room for layers of media and flexibility as well. Mine have a quick disconnect coupling in both input and output lines, which makes it easy to remove for cleaning. I have a deep utility sink that makes cleaning it a snap. Takes about 15 minutes once every 3-4 months.

I have a penguin 150 on my 29 as well, and it looks like a similar design to your AT's. I've stuffed filter floss in behind the filter cartridge. If you add a sponge, once it gets colonized, I think you'll no longer need the scrubbies for bio, maybe shift some of your media to more mechanical/polishing pad?

I have wanted to put a sponge in my tanks for a while, mostly because I think it makes a nice tool for cycling a new tank if you have established sponges. I also think my Mbuna would graze on it. I just don't really want an airpump in the house. Maybe I'll rethink that.

Have fun tinkering! This is the best kind. You're not panicked trying to fix a problem, just working to make the tank incrementally better!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I bought a Fusion air pump for my HOB breeder box and it is alot quieter than any pump I've used before. I really like it and they are well priced.

I have a deep utility sink in the shop I can use to clean a canister filter. And I wouldn't mind putting one of those on there. I'm considering after looking at some refugiums to add one of those instead and maybe have the AT's for mechanical.

Your Mbuna would love to graze on the sponge filters. I had two friends with mixed african tanks and I frequently saw them grazing on the sponge filters. So the quiter Fusion air pump may be an option. I can shoot a short video of mine and send it to you if you'd like to hear the sound.

I do like that I'm not in a panic with the filtration on this tank. All are happy in there now. I just want them happier and the plants to flourish better. :)