75 gallon freshwater better filtration ideas/advice?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Okay so I'm thinking of adding discus into my 75 gallon tank. I want to change the filtration to something better even if I don't. I have over filtration on there now with currently 2 Aquatech 30-60 HOB's on the tank and running no carbon with pot scrubbies for added bio media right now. For a total of over 600 gph. However, I know AquaClear filters are better. I was considering adding a Magnum 350, an AquaClear 50 and then a sponge filter as well. I really want to have the best filtration as possible.

Do you think this would be a good set up or should I modify it or leave the AT's and add other since I have modified them from their original set up anyways?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do want to stay away from large amounts of media, thus the Magnum 350 fit better to the route I wanted to go.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
The sponge filter I was going to set up would be a ATI Hydro Sponge Pro Filter #5 rated for 125 gallons and a Fusion 700 Air Pump rated for 110 gallons.

cichlid-gal

I am unsure of requirements for discus but I do tend to overfiltrate all my tanks. All my tanks over 33G have canisters as well as HOB's on them.

The only tank without a canister/HOB setup is my planted tank which has 2 canisters only on it. That tank is a 75G tank, pretty heavily planted. No big fish just the congo tetras and the plants. I run a Rena XP4 and a Fluval 306 on it. This tank used to also have an Aquaclear 110 on it when it was a more "fishy" tank and housed my group of "kyogas". I removed the Aquaclear when I moved the plants over to the tank.

Not having had discus I am uncertain as to whether they like water flow or don't...that would be a question. Also, I have no experience with Magnum filters so hopefully others will chime in there. I have read that discus like pristine water so having an overfiltrated tank is a probably a good thing for them.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
It's not the filtration you should be worried about. It's the amount of water changing for discus. They don't do well with nitrate in the water. Filters will convert stuff into nitrates for you, but you're much better off just removing the waste form the water all together.

For instance at the shop, all the tanks get 4 water changes a day that adds up to 15%. We have to do an additional 25% water change every day on the discus tank.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's slightly less then that, because it's not done all at once. The 4 extra water change change from of the first water change etc. But yes, we find that discus only thrive in clean water. We had eggs all the way to wrigglers last week and new eggs laid again this week at the shop in the selling tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Since I just got an AC50 for my 20L... I can say it is inadequate for a 75g. I would be looking at the AC70 minimum but the AC110 would be a better choice

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Since I just got an AC50 for my 20L... I can say it is inadequate for a 75g. I would be looking at the AC70 minimum but the AC110 would be a better choice
I was choosing the AC50 since I would have the other canister filter and the sponge filter as well. And not the AC as a sole unit for filtration.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 72 gallon bowfront and run an AC110 and an Eheim 2217 canister. This has been an awesome combo. The AC110 is basically a huge, glorified, hang on the back sponge filter. The 50 just is too small to do much of anything.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Hmmm maybe this would be a better way to go. But I would have a larger bio-load than I think you would compared to your 72 BF stock and my 75 stock?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am lightly stocked in comparison but have always kind of over-filtered my tanks. I would think the combo of a 350 and the AC110 would do quite well.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Okay, I priced (roughly, on one site only) and the AC110 and the Magnum 350 come to a higher cost than the sponge filter, AC50 and the Magnum 350. So when combined in the amount of filtration I would think for a lower cost and more filtration the trio set up would cover more water so to speak? Filtration specs on what works the best kind of confuses me some so that is definitely why I am asking opinions on what other people suggest.

I am listening to all and writing them down and researching them as I get them. So keep throwing them at me! :)

Even if I don't add discus to this tank I would like to switch the filtration to better. If adding the Magnum 350 and a sponge filter to my existing AT30-60 with carbon removed and more bio-filtration added would be better, I'm even up for doing that.

A

Anonymous

So if I am hearing this correctly Discus do not like nitrates. What about maintaining low nitrates with plants? If someone could maintain low to 0 nitrates in a planted tank would the Discus thrive with once a week water changes at about 20-30%.

plaamoo

I'd be asking the resident discus breeder what's best for discus, Zach? I have an AC 110 and an Eheim 2217 on my 75 like Dmd123 and it works well. Mine houses fish that enjoy water movement so I added a mid-size powerhead with sponge pre-filter.

A

Anonymous

Looking at those Aquatech filters I don't like them at all. Doesn't look like you can add or modify filter media very easily...

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
Looking at those Aquatech filters I don't like them at all. Doesn't look like you can add or modify filter media very easily...
Not really. I just removed the carbon pad and stuffed it with pot scrubbers to the water line inside :)

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
fishNAbowl said:
Not really. I just removed the carbon pad and stuffed it with pot scrubbers to the water line inside :)
Well that dosent sound to bad... Maybe if there is room a 3rd HOB maybe an option?  Have each HOB running at different levels of the tank? Get extentions for the water pick up, have 1 picking up from all the way from 2" above the substrate, 1 about mid level, the other just a few inches from the surface? Having the 3 HOB's running would be close to the same water current as you would get running a spray bar while picking water up from all three levels of the tank. This would be more than enough filtration. Just having the 2 Aquatech should be enough. The 3rd HOB wouldnt even have to be a AC 70. It could be a 50.... IDK. Maintenance on 3 HOB's wouldn't be tough. Every 2 weeks rinse the sponges in one, then rotate ...

Going combo dosent sound like a bad idea. Running both of the HOB's  you currently have then running a canister. If you already have the canister then perfect! If not the 3rd HOB maybe a cheaper option.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I don't already have the canister. I was talking to an experienced keeper, on another site, who doesn't like canisters. And I can't say that I do either but my lack of knowledge and experience I though I was over looking them because of that. I like the 3 level idea though. That makes complete sense. I wonder if a sponge filter and another HOB would take care of any and all levels?

zach_discus

Its not one of my Discus tanks. I have them all bare bottom with two Hydro sponges per 55 and one per 29. I also do 50% water changes daily. The biggest issues with Discus and plants is temp. Most plants do not like the higher temps to be successful with Discus (mid to upper 80s best). Young Discus tend to need more/larger water changes to grow well. Any tanks I have with 4" or smaller discus get a 75% daily plus another rough 5% when I siphon food out before bed. Under 2" get two 50% plus the mentioned 5%. Excessive no, costly yes.

Side note if your Discus are 1yr old and not approaching or exceeded 5.5". 1. you bought inferior stock or 2. your water was not maintained properly. Sorry thats a hard truth, when I see people breeding 4" 2yr old fish I cringe :(

Ok onto my filter set-up in my in house displays. I really find it hard to beat well maintained Aquaclear filters. My 95 wave has two 110 and is very heavy stocked with 8 3" bodied angels, a breeding pr of Guianacara Stergoise, 14 Nanacara Buckles, 8 random apistos, and a breeding pr of BN plecos. Our other tank is newer set-up, 65g with a single 110. It houses a 4.5" Fahaka Puffer (Puffy McPufferson) who is a real pig and a brutal bio-load.

So I'm partial to Sponges and Aquaclears personally. Filtration is going to be one of your smaller issues. Discus are not as hard as people think as long as you don't get complacent and stick to a good water maintenance schedule.

Now these are my opinions and other may do it differently :)