65B ideas... now a 90 gallon idea thread

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Im trying to think of a future stock for my 65B once my bocourti growouts are moved out. At the moment the idea is for a community tank and my other occupants are partially figured out. I will for sure be keeping my 4 hoplo cats in there and adding one of my green phantom pleco or another small colorful pleco. Im also looking for a schooling fish with a little color to add...

But the main fish is what Im trying to consider for this tank. Im thinking a super red or gold sev as the main focus fish. These likely might hit 8" max? maybe pushing it a bit for a 65B? Thoughts or ideas?

Was also thinking some angels with this tall tank but like the thought of something bigger like the single sev.

Just reaching out for ideas, does not have to be a SA cichlid, just something I could do in a community set up.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I believe severums can grow to 10+ inches, but I could be wrong. I currently have one rainbow cichlid ( a male) in my community 75g and he is doing great in there. They don’t get very big or have the best personality, but they are beautiful. I’m not sure if they are considered SA or CA, but. Just a thought.

I also need to ask you where you got that bucket with the extra thick handle. I would like to get one to change water in my classroom tank. I think you gave it to me when I bought some substrate from you, way back when.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I believe severums can grow to 10+ inches, but I could be wrong. I currently have one rainbow cichlid ( a male) in my community 75g and he is doing great in there. They don’t get very big or have the best personality, but they are beautiful. I’m not sure if they are considered SA or CA, but. Just a thought.

I also need to ask you where you got that bucket with the extra thick handle. I would like to get one to change water in my classroom tank. I think you gave it to me when I bought some substrate from you, way back when.
The company l work for sells cleaning products we package up in the 5 gallon pails. We use buckets from a company out of Sumner called Aaron’s Packaging. They are nice and thick with the metal part of the handle also thick and sturdy, much better than the typical Home Depot bucket. I can get one for you…might be full of gravel though, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, As to the sevs… I have heard 10” too but Ive heard the golds tend to be smaller. Not sure how true that is.

Petsmart used to get some nice golds in on occasion. Need to swing in and see how their selection is. My local Lakewood store has seemed like the selection is kind of lame after they did the overhaul on their tanks.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Also trying to think of a colorful, somewhat larger tetra for this tank. Like the size of the black skirts but something more colorful… maybe bleeding hearts?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They had candy cane tetras at AP today. Haven’t seen them before but they had some cool colors in their fins.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Had to look those up. I guess they are fairly new to the hobby but very similar to some other species they have sold over the years, thus the familiar look about them.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Had to look those up. I guess they are fairly new to the hobby but very similar to some other species they have sold over the years, thus the familiar look about them.
Maybe they are a line bred offshoot of one of the standard tetras to bring out those colors.

I’m thinking about adding a school to my 20g in my classroom after the winter holiday months. Till then, I picked up a 1” baby Oscar. Figured it would grow to about 3” before I bring it home for winter break. I’ll then give it to AP and switch to a community tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Always fun with an Oscar. Even at small stages, they are so outgoing. I would likely own more if they didn’t get so big and require so much tank space.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I got a new bucket for you if your in my neck of the woods... maybe if your at Aquarium Paradise?

I was thinking about what you said about the bucket with the 'extra thick handle'. Im not sure if you meant the metal loop material being thicker or the actual plastic part that you grab. Because I had modified a couple buckets in the past with pvc pipe to make the larger plastic handle. let me know, I can see if I have extra pipe laying around and add the thicker grip to it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I got a new bucket for you if your in my neck of the woods... maybe if your at Aquarium Paradise?

I was thinking about what you said about the bucket with the 'extra thick handle'. Im not sure if you meant the metal loop material being thicker or the actual plastic part that you grab. Because I had modified a couple buckets in the past with pvc pipe to make the larger plastic handle. let me know, I can see if I have extra pipe laying around and add the thicker grip to it.
It was a thick plastic handled type

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So my idea has changed a bit… instead of doing this in the 65B, l am converting a 90 over to a community. Ive began by ordering my centerpiece fish from Imperial Tropicals. I ordered 3 Red Spot Severums. The hope is for one nice male out of it, but if mor than one got along…who knows how many I would keep, though a tight fit if theses guys got too big.

Now for my school, I am really leaning towards Rainbows for color but love the look of Roselines too. Really am looking for a huge splash of color in this tank so everything is going to be geared this way. Am looking at electric blue acara as possible tankmate also.

clownie

So my idea has changed a bit… instead of doing this in the 65B, l am converting a 90 over to a community. Ive began by ordering my centerpiece fish from Imperial Tropicals. I ordered 3 Red Spot Severums. The hope is for one nice male out of it, but if mor than one got along…who knows how many I would keep, though a tight fit if theses guys got too big.

Now for my school, I am really leaning towards Rainbows for color but love the look of Roselines too. Really am looking for a huge splash of color in this tank so everything is going to be geared this way. Am looking at electric blue acara as possible tankmate also.
I have a mated pair of Electric blue acara up for grabs if interested. male is 4.5-5" long female around 3.5".

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @clownie, will consider it. There are a few fish I like in the acara family and a couple dwarf cichlids I am considering. Just will depend on whether the Sevs will play nice.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
How aggressive do they get when breeding? We kept a real nice electric blue in my daughters tank when she was little. It seemed to get along well with her other fish ( blood parrots and some silver dollars).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So this is the main focus fish
Red_Spotted_Severum_9fc88ad5-9794-4c38-97f3-e1cfa33b0e03_grande.jpg
I can see where an elongated fish like the roseline sharks could be a nice contrast.
roseline-shark.jpg
If I do the dark substrate then the albino hoplo should also totally pop
IMG_20221124_110038254.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
A school of cardinal or neon tetras would also look great until the sevs got big enough to eat them…

Also one of the zebra striped small plecos.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A school of cardinal or neon tetras would also look great until the sevs got big enough to eat them…

Also one of the zebra striped small plecos.
I am looking for a pleco… an L046 would be awesome. Just about $199 more than I want to spend, lol
967E4155-D137-4852-9397-F0EA18C97C53.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im thinking small and colorful like a leopard frog L134
6A1CB1D7-58F6-4F19-AD5B-7EAEE4551CBD.png

Or maybe slightly bigger like a gold nugget or sunshine