60 Gallon planted Cube

clownie

For the past 15 years I have been playing with reef tanks. It was fun and rewarding , but if any of you have done it...it's expensive! Also, I was getting tired of all the salt creep destroying my wood floors.
So, 6 months ago I set up a 20 gallon high tech planted tank. I hadn't done plants in 20 years or so and i wanted to do a trial run before I went major on it. Well i have been dinking around with getting this started and last weekend (Oct 1,2016) I bit the bullet and set it up. Here's the equipment list: 60 gallon reef ready starphire glass cube tank, 250 gph overflow, 20 gallon oceanic sump( filled halfway so an additional 10 gallons), Filter sock on overflow for mechanical filtration, BRS Bulk Small Particle Lignite Carbon for chemical filtration, 300 gph return pump, LED lighting ( this is a custom unit I had constructed for my reef tanks, I replace about half the 420 LED with 6500 and 10000K), 20 lb CO2 tank with Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, ceramic CO2 diffuser, and black diamond abrasive for substrate.
Current planting, glosso, Rotala Indica, Bacopa, Stargrass and a few others I forgot the name of! There are no fish at the moment. Haven't quite decided yet...some thoughts are a school of Sawbwa resplendens or Barilius canarensis or Dawkinsia assimilis, some Corys, Hillstream loach or two, maybe some otocinclus. But.....I digress!
Pics or it didn't happen!!!!

Hardscape shots:

Initial Planting:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Ooooo! I love that plant with the red leaves! What is it? And more importantly, does Cory have it in his store? hahahahaha

clownie

Ooooo! I love that plant with the red leaves! What is it? And more importantly, does Cory have it in his store? hahahahaha
Actually I forgot the name!!! It came in a packaged deal. I will have some trimmings in a bit and will contact you if you still want some.

Last edited:

clownie

Newest pic.......4 weeks old! I already had to do some trimming.

DSC_0731%204%20weeks%20old.jpg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Actually I forgot the name!!! It came in a packaged deal. I will have some trimmings in a bit and will contact you if you still want some.

I think I just learned what that was in another thread! I am going to get me some of that stuff!

clownie

I think I just learned what that was in another thread! I am going to get me some of that stuff!
do tell! It would be nice to know the name again. I threw out the bag that had the name on it a while ago and forgot to write it down.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I don't think it's the same but...an awesome plant!!
hahahahaha shows you how much I know, right? ha ha Looks alike to me!

I was watching Cory and Bob's video tour at LR Bretz's Aquatics (this is what I do at work in the morning - oh gawd. they should can me...) and the dude made that very point about plants. The same plant looks wildly different in different situations / lighting/water quality, etc. Sooooo many it IS the same, @clownie ? ;)