56 Gallon Seahorse tank (NEW FISH)

Llovsbarbie

Blog about the start of my sea horse tank. First time owning them and taking my time making sure everything is in order for them. Just tonight we got a 56 Gal tank (tall) and some dead live rock that I plan on bringing back to life (ps, if you have any suggestions on bringing it back please do share). Will be updating as I go with pictures. Enjoy :D

Working on getting more stuff. Was thinking of black sand (harmful??). Still need to get a filter, heater and live sand.

Wolf-Keeper1

Tite! That will be a great conversation piece. Any particular seahorse you have in mind when your ready? I'll be watching!

Llovsbarbie

Yep! the Mustangs - Hippocampus erectus. It is suppose to be their harder of the ponies (though they all are fragile) and if I'm not mistaken, could even change colors with it's background. I plan on getting two of those and from there I have no clue.

oh, once I have a feel for things I would like to get Zulu-Lulu Hippocampus capensis. They look really cool to me.

Llovsbarbie

stierwalt3 said:
Sweet I can't wait to see how this turns out...Good luck! :D
Thanks!! :)

UPDATE:
scrubbed rock and set the tank up.
Have a protein skimmer going, but no filter or heater. (going out tomorrow for those)
Added three cupfuls of live sand from my other tank. Would have my live rock, but have Aptaisia (sp?)on it and I don't want to spread it to the new rocks.
Even added a piece of raw deli shrimp to get the cycle going (rumors have it that it helps, guess we will see).
Keeping it in master bedroom. It stays dark most of the time.

Water is still settling from sand.

Llovsbarbie

Day 3:
PH: 8.0
Amm: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Day 4:

PH: 8.0 (even added PH buffer, but didnt come up any. Adding another dose tonight)
Amm: 50.-1.0 (what ever number that would be)

Llovsbarbie

went to the LFS today and picked up a nice piece of live rock (dead coral) that looked really cool. Helps out with the cycle and will be an awesome resting place for the seahorses. Here some pics of the tank and rock set up. Prob pick up some more rock later on. Do plan on putting some fake colorful coral pieces to bring in some color.

sorry. I could have wiped down the glass first. lol

unconv-reefer

Looking good so far

Question;

Only seahorses or are you planning on corals also

I've found PH doesn't matter nearly as much (in SW) as all the other parameters;

Amm
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ca
Mg
Alk
Sg

Just an FYI

Llovsbarbie

just seahorses. I didn't know that. Thanks. I only have the test for ph, amm, nitrate and nitrite. Not for the rest you had mentioned. I plan on going to a lfs and seeing what I can find. Do you mind telling me the recommended measurements for the CA MG AK and SG? Thanks again reefer!!

unconv-reefer

Since you are only doing seahorses you should be fine, but if you do add corals the others are much more important.
SG Salinity, they say 1.022 but NSW is closer to 1.025-26
Alk- 8-11dkh
calcium 380-460 (I run mine higher)
Mg - 3 times calcium or 1200-1400-ppm

A little nitrates are okay but very low

Llovsbarbie

Havent gotten a new test kit yet, but here is an update of the current test kit I do have:

Day 14

PH: 8.4
Amm: 0

These numbers actually made my night. First tank to be set up by me from scratch. (sigh of relief)

Llovsbarbie

Water parameters have been good.
Added some black sand and fake plants tonight. Fixed up the rock work as well. Think I might stick with it now. Trying to upload pics, but camera being sucky.

Llovsbarbie

soo...what do ya think??

still a little cloudy, but its getting there. Think I am pretty much happy with the rock work (suggestions welcomed!).
All thats left now is
power heads
more fake plants
glass top to place the light on (didn't come with it)
and in hopes of eventually looking for some lights suitable for coral (no rush).
Think of anything I need or should add please feel free to make suggestions!!!
:D

Llovsbarbie

FINALLY!! Got my glass canopy (a tad bit big, but oh well).
Like my FAKE coral, huh ;) Still looking for a nice light fixture so until then, the fake will have to work. Going out tomorrow to get some Copepods and maybe a nice fish just to get things moving. Almost there!!!