240 Gallon acrylic

Zerc

Its in my living room!

Half full of water, i will finish plumbing it tonight.
20 lbs of black sand in it right now, petsmart only had ONE bag... so im going to headhunt the other petsmart stores on the east side tomorrow. Hoping to put in 200 lbs.

my biggest problem is LIGHTS!

It came with 4 ballasts, each has two cords that each hold a 4 pronged CFL bulb, but there is no power rating or brand name that i can see anywhere. no idea how i am going to find lights, but lowes had nothing... :(

With luck, there will be fish in the tank by saturday, with or without fancy new lights!

A

Anonymous

Good to hear... and sorry about the lights. I hope you figure something out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow thats a lot of money. Seems cheaper to buy new fixtures.

Paintguy

I have a light on my 75 gal. with 2 of the 65 watt compact lights inside and it is just right... 10 of them on a 240 seems like a lot.

Zerc

i went to lowes and got four 4' t8 fixtures, so i have 8x 32 watt 4' fluorescent lights.

only cost $100 for fixtures and lamps, half what those others would cost for just lamps!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I still want to build a canopy for my 210. I think I will go with LED's when I do that to cut down on electrical cost.

Glad you found a reasonable substitute.

Zerc

6 bags of tahitian moon sand so far, going to buy another submersible fan before i get more sand though.

pics of the tank and the fish looking around!

tank12.jpg

three10.jpg

rd10.jpg

poly10.jpg

dempse10.jpg

Zerc

the Bichir had (within 10 minutes) swam into the overflow to look around.... then swam right back out again!

Zerc

Hm... apparently new tank means new fish.. right? right?

I bought a 2" A. Lyonsi from APFP today!

I think I need to start thinking about which fish to get rid of in the next few months.

I think the Jag will be the first to go. (least interesting/colorful imo)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think you should just get a BIGGER tank, then you can keep everything!

Zerc

i DO want a bigger tank! I would have been all over that 400 gallon last week, but there just isnt 10 feet of space for a tank in my current house... :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
i DO want a bigger tank! I would have been all over that 400 gallon last week, but there just isnt 10 feet of space for a tank in my current house... :(
Buy it for the next one. :D