175 Gallon Rebuild Journal

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting this journal to motivate me to redo this 175 gallon in my living room. It has been sitting empty ever since I moved my Mbu puffer to the store.

Current thoughts are to keep my pack of clown loaches in it and a school of congo tetras.

My big dilemma is filtration. Do I continue to use the sump and if so, do I install a herbie drain. Or do I just install a canister filter etc.

Here is a quick cell phone pic to show that I at least drained it and got it pulled out from the wall so I could work on plumbing when I have time.

JimA

Keep the sump, but change stock to Rainbow Kasanga tropheus. Then when you get enough I can buy them from you.. :) 

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
The reason for keeping/ditching the sump is two fold. First it's noise. I believe with a different pipe system I can silence that. However floating food becomes much harder to feed with an overflow. I am considering getting a computer to control this aquarium for a pause button on the pump etc.

The other considerations is, do I want to clean mulm out of filter socks or a canister filter or Overhead filter?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
So I forced myself to find time to do a little work on this tank last night. I got all 3 bulkheads removed. Which is a real pain cause it's tight quarters where these bulkheads are. Ending up having to cut one of them out.

Here is a couple of pics to keep me motivated to keep pushing through this. I KNOW I'll love the tank when it's done.

A

Anonymous

For go* sakes. Photobucket sucks balls. I trying to see all your pics to see what you got in your store. Every 2 pics a freaking ad. Cant see your store stuff without getting annoyed. Hope your Facebook page has pictures. I really what to see what ppl are raving about in your store.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah there are pictures on facebook for sure. I just use photobucket currently as it's an app installed on my phone. New phone galaxy s4 coming in the mail and I'll setup a instagram account to share pics etc.

A

Anonymous

If you don't mind; So, this Herbie system is quiet because once the syphon is created one adjusts the drainage with a valve inline with the drain so the water level in the overflow box hovers above the main drain? Hence a muffled drain, zero air, no "gurgle ".

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
theChad said:
If you don't mind; So, this Herbie system is quiet because once the syphon is created one adjusts the drainage with a valve inline with the drain so the water level in the overflow box hovers above the main drain? Hence a muffled drain, zero air, no "gurgle ".
Exactly. And you use an emergency backup overflow too in case lets say a snail was to take a ride and get stuck in the valve. The other overflow pipe that is 1 inch higher would kick in once the water level increased. They're supposed to be basically completely silent.

A

Anonymous

Interesting read, I may give this a shot in a future build or overhaul.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking forward to more pics and updates on this build!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Making a Virtual reminder list so I can see what I need while at the store etc. Plus instead of writing down on a notepad, I figure others can see what I'm doing.

Need to Pickup cordless drill and charger from the shop.
Need to buy holesaw for drilling acrylic.
Need 1/2 inch PVC pipe.
Monster Ray Light for front of the tank.
Finnex ray 2 for rear of tank.
White Algae Scrubbing pad
Krylon Fusion Black Spray Paint
Power Strip or extension cord for lights.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up picking up a hole saw kit as I was tired of having to borrow them :p

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Started the drilling of the acrylic tank.

Little bit deeper.

Finally through!

And a pic of the 50 congo tetras fattening up while they wait for the build out of this tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That's a lot of Congo Tetras! That will be an awesome school for sure.