125 Malawi Build

censeoflife

So I bought an Acrylic tank from CL and this is it's budget build story. lol..

Its pretty scratched, and the stand has seen better days. 280$ spent for tank and stand.
03080110.jpg

I thought the tank was a little to low so I scrapped some pallets for a lift.
04060110.jpg

I liked the red lacquer for the color. Steel wool and 3 coats got it nice and dark.
04120110.jpg

04120111.jpg

The existing panels where not for me so I chopped up some plywood.
04190110.jpg

Thought I could get away with a low profile lid. We shall see if this works out.
04220110.jpg

The work station.
04220111.jpg

Remember to put those kids to work!!
04230111.jpg

Especially the big ones! lol
04230112.jpg

Preliminary fit, The top needs a second coat but I think it looks great!
04280111.jpg

Here is my work on the "decorations". Started with 2" styro-foam insulation.
04230113.jpg

So I end up spending 10 hours total carving foam... lol..
04230114.jpg

04240111.jpg

But what I was left with is looking good!
04240112.jpg

04240113.jpg

04240114.jpg

04240115.jpg

I did get better at the little "houses" as I went on so I do like some better than others.

Here's some concrete work.
04280112.jpg

05010110.jpg

This is all based on the home made back rounds found on Our site and You tube.

censeoflife

Oh I didn't put that I had polished it. no pics of that.
So this last one is after the #3 polish. still have 2 and final.

Thanks spy, I have been at this since February.

More pics to come, working on decorations too!!

censeoflife

The rusties I got from you larry, will call it home. plus the offspring of those red zebras too. I got some peacocks going in, and the rest is a shopping list. Lol.

larry.beck

Awesome! Glad to hear the rusties are doing well, and the zebra offspring as well. I've got a bunch more species you can consider when the time is right. :)

larry.beck

Looking sharp! Can't wait to see how you set yours up. I love my 125g malawi setup. I'm upgrading my tank from an AGA to an Envisions Acrylic tank that I get to pick up this weekend. Then I think the AGA 125 will become the "new" grow-out for the Tanganyikans, while I work on getting the 300 ready. It needs a lot of TLC though.

Did you have to sand many scratches out of yours Cense? Did you sand and/or polish by hand or with a sander?

censeoflife

I used a set of buffing wheels on a cordless from Wesco, with 3 step Novus system. It didn't make it brand new again but damn, it was worth the investment!

Anthraxx

lol didnt make it brand new. thats a cleaner look then any of my all glass aquariums.. :p looks great. GL building the backgrounds and deco. personally for the time itll take id just buy lace rocks lolz. or that huge holey rock dudes been selling on craigslist for two months. just my two cents. GL to ya sir

censeoflife

I agree with you there. I put way to much time into the hides. That big piece of THR wont fit through the windows in the top of this tank, been eye balling that sucker. lol.. In the long run I just may end up with real rocks in the 125 and the hides I made in my other tanks.

Anthraxx

for the amount of time it takes to craft those things u may as well go grab the kids and head down to a pottery shop. ive seen some really nice things made out of clay before. either way keep pics coming of how that setup develops it looks fantastic.

censeoflife

Put water in it Today!

Also has used sand with MTS and some used gravel too.

This puppy is runnin around 400 gph with some media that I got ready ahead of time for this build. Can't wait to add lights and heater(s).

05110110.jpg

05110111.jpg

Anthraxx

thats a nice setup. is that your office or something? quite the statement if so hahah. either way looks great. kids did a good job sanding it all down

censeoflife

It's the waiting room to the company. My office is across from the tank. Perfect placement.
You can see a piece of the old stand where I was keeping a 30G fresh water. My boss liked having the little one around so it was pretty easy to get a big one in.

Paintguy

Ahh.. so your plan all along was to get him hooked with the little 30g. Looks great. I have two tanks in my office now. The subtle sound of trickling water is soothing. I think it keeps my stress down a notch.

Spyral

So, what Parker lines do you carry? We buy some Parker stuff as needed, mostly A-LOK and hydraulic fittings.

censeoflife

We supply Air and Hydraulic - hose, hose fittings, Hose assemblies, valves, pumps, motors, accumulators, filters and tube fittings. I am the customer service rep and material planner. exciting stuff! lol.. We only service Terex, Genie Ind. here in Redmond though. Nice small branch of the big world of Parker.