Through the wall / My Fish Room

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
You got rid of the giant boulder that is now the geo tank. How did you get that thing out of there? lol, the fish are looking good too

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
You got rid of the giant boulder that is now the geo tank. How did you get that thing out of there? lol, the fish are looking good too
Rolled it into a milk crate. Raised it high enough to get a 5g bucket under it to rest it on. Heaved it out while using a packing blanket to protect the glass. Took me and my 18yr old son.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Rolled it into a milk crate. Raised it high enough to get a 5g bucket under it to rest it on. Heaved it out while using a packing blanket to protect the glass. Took me and my 18yr old son.
Would have been cool to see a video…. Except that it would need to be beeped out due to all the cursing, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice South American set up! Ever consider adding a nice group of tetras? Maybe a school of hatchet fish? I love the mix when you can keep the littler fish fish the larger... if they wont eat them, lol

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Very nice South American set up! Ever consider adding a nice group of tetras? Maybe a school of hatchet fish? I love the mix when you can keep the littler fish fish the larger... if they wont eat them, lol
I haven’t. The male choco eats what ever fits in his mouth :rolleyes: I found that out by trying swordtails.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny how some fish pick up on that real quick and with others, its never an issue. I had an oddball Oscar that grew up with a school of Australian rainbows and never ate one. Was cool to see an almost 12" Oscar and this little school of fish together in the same tank.

Has the choco ever eyed those flagtail cats? They look pretty yummy, lol

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Its funny how some fish pick up on that real quick and with others, its never an issue. I had an oddball Oscar that grew up with a school of Australian rainbows and never ate one. Was cool to see an almost 12" Oscar and this little school of fish together in the same tank.

Has the choco ever eyed those flagtail cats? They look pretty yummy, lol
Surprisingly not. He did grow up with them so they weren't food size when he was introduced. The female swordtail he ate as soon as it was introduced. May not have tried if she hadn't just froze in place at the surface.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I returned the pump I bought on Saturday and ordered a Hygger 800gph dc pump for the 140g instead. It was an open box item and arrived missing a critical o-ring so I initiated a return. I found the Hygger 1350gph was on sale for a better price and it arrived today. I’m now able to run dual returns from one pump. B8085C66-F898-4709-BC07-3A0A0073B0BE.jpeg1F4C2232-62E9-4C19-A08E-E954F8CEB79D.jpegBCC1A299-08F2-4BDB-86A8-B5EFAD4EE3A9.jpegF2A511C5-E898-406E-B6D2-03DECE4BC09B.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I’m not entirely sure why the losses of woodcats but a member on MFK pointed out these are a rheophillic species something I was not aware of prior.
The system they were in is ~1000l distributed in eight 120l tanks and a 140l sump. All of the tanks are planted so nitrates are kept low.
I’m also running 1440l/h (1.5x) turnover with 100w DC pump at 50% power. I had not calculated my flow before so it could be that I am running an O2 deficit. Would this explain the losses?
I have a constant water change running with cold water dripping 15l/h. My municipality only runs 0.5ppm chlorine so it doesn’t even register when testing. Tap water on the right and T m tank on the left. Test strip reads from ph 8.4 (red), chlorine 0ppm (white), alkalinity 80ppm (green). The brown is stabilizer which might be 30-50ppm Gh? This a swimming pool test kit so I don’t know how accurate these strips are. My liquid AP kit shows a similar result for ph though.412D4FCD-9E8F-4AAE-ABA5-7FAF67890B91.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I remember reading something too (TFH article?) on the woodcats or maybe it was a specific one (honeycomb?) that even the way they ate was special. They were nocturnal surface feeders of insects and that the typical way to feed sinking pellets like you would for cories was not an ideal way to feed.