What did you do with your tank(s) today?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Feed the fishes lightly this morning: the power was out most of yesterday, so they didn't get fed at all. Turned the lights to 'moonlight mode' in mid-afternoon, just in case we lost power again. So far, so good, but I'll be surprised if I don't lose power again in the next 24 hours. I do have a hard-wired generator, so these so-called 'snow events' are not life-threatening for my fishes; nonetheless, I hate winter! >:)

Betty

Staff member
I haven't done much of anything with my tanks. Only feeding and water changes. Slacking on filter maintenance. I like to clean filters outside so I don't do them as often as I should during the winter.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hard core cleaning in the 300 yesterday and today. Pulled out Mopani wood and scrubbed down, cleaned plants and very good gravel vac. Replaced the old SERA heater in there since plastic heater guard was falling apart and their was moisture in it, but it was still working. I replaced with a Fluval E series that I had. Seems to be working okay for now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cleaned the hairy puffer's 65B last night. I cant wait to get this out of the office and into the garage with my other rack set up. I think I officially hate the driftwood I have in that tank. While it does have a cool shape, it is always a mess. Seems to grow a layer of dirt on it and will get fuzzy after cleaning. I know if I had a pleco it would be fine but no way the puffer would let a pleco live with it. In all my other tanks I am using Mopani but this tank has Malaysian driftwood. It also tends to get more tannins than the mopani tanks. I think I will look at some alternatives. Only hard part is that one piece forms a cave that the puffer frequently uses.

I did see some cool pieces of large driftwood when I went to Wet Spot recently. It was called Congo-wood and looked like really nice branchy stumps. Anyway still in the debate stage of also swapping out the puffer's gravel during it move also. So major aquascape event for that puffer soon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Early morning start, cleaning the 75 gallon grow out tank. Trying to make sure to do a water change every other day to keep tank clean and encourage growth. Want to get some size on them faster to get some moved over to the big tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been in a cleaning mood. Cleaned the office 65B really well, the puffer just put up with it. Trying to get it clean for the big move to the garage, though I am not sure how soon that will be...

Did some cleaning in the 300 also. Right now all 4 tanks are pretty sparkling looking. My tanks always look better in the winter. I have too many “chores” during the summer so I stretch out the cleaning. I could clean out a filter, lol. I do need to service the 3 FX6’s on the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Petco in Olympia to pick up my other 75 gallon for the garage project. They still have the 1/2 price sale so $99

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Petsmart for some frozen food and came home with another growout Petsmart red devil, lol
5A236072-22F4-477F-9B8C-CA2075C642E9.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of tank cleanings and water changes especially in the 75g growout. Trying to get the fish bigger so I can start making the move with some going into the 300 soon. Dominant midas starting to show a little beginning of nuchal hump. When it overeats the tube drops and pretty sure I have at least one male here.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of driving around today... down to Portland. Went to IKEA and Lowe’s for shelving and a cabinet for my final run at the garage project. Of course stopped at the Wet Spot and brought back tons of fish. Not really, no fish at all. Was shopping for a centerpiece wood for the 75 gallon. I found a piece of spiderwood I liked. Hopefully it will work out. I will need to mount in on slate to get the height where I want.

While most of my day seemed non fish related it all added up to my fish room garage taking another step forward

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Took Monday and Tuesday off work to get stuff done in the garage. Got a lot accomplished! Walls painted, shelves hung, and a bunch of organization. This is all in prep of my next tank rack going in.

As for fish related I drilled holes in some slate and made a base for my spiderwood centerpiece and screwed it together with some stainless screws. Did this more for getting the piece up to gravel level more than to keep it from floating.
989F4E5D-5A03-4307-84AC-DA857964D502.jpeg
Also worked on a new filler valve to my tanks. The old one wasnt really designed for my 300g in mind, so a little cutting, gluing and I made a new one. Used 3/4 PVC so it is a gentle pressure when filling the tank.
138D931E-A6C7-462F-B85C-A53FB402951B.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did a water change in the 300 and moved the dominant hoga out and put him with the growouts in the 75g. Seems to have left the 300 in peace.

I needed to replace a bunch of equipment due to wear and tear so I ordered a new python 75ft and made one 35ft, one 25ft and a 10ft extension out of it. The custom sizes really work well depending on what tank Im servicing. Also having more than one lets me do multiple tanks at a time. Had also made a new filler valve for the tanks too, post that already w/pic.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Water change on the 90g and rehomed the Synodontis featherfin catfish. Topped off the other tanks.
It’s a jungle in the making in the 10g greenhouse. The second pic is Crypt wendetii bronze.
Should I add some worms to the greenhouse?
6CC952E7-52FA-4CB6-9247-84271CDF85C9.jpeg 32BEF7E9-BE3C-40E9-9607-197F5B0C31CC.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Took Monday and Tuesday off work to get stuff done in the garage. Got a lot accomplished! Walls painted, shelves hung, and a bunch of organization. This is all in prep of my next tank rack going in.

As for fish related I drilled holes in some slate and made a base for my spiderwood centerpiece and screwed it together with some stainless screws. Did this more for getting the piece up to gravel level more than to keep it from floating.
View attachment 5793
Also worked on a new filler valve to my tanks. The old one wasnt really designed for my 300g in mind, so a little cutting, gluing and I made a new one. Used 3/4 PVC so it is a gentle pressure when filling the tank.
View attachment 5794

I was at Home Depot today and was going to make one of these and forgot why I wanted one until I did the water change this evening. Doh.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was at Home Depot today and was going to make one of these and forgot why I wanted one until I did the water change this evening. Doh.
I cant remember where I first saw it, but it was at a fish store years ago. So I copied the design. This was way before Python made theirs. I think the one they make would probably have a lot of pressure and create a jet stream straight towards the gravel. Mine gently fills the tank, especially since I used 3/4” pipe. I think I saw reviews on the Python that said the plastic is soft and easily strips/cross-threads. On mine I did a brass hose to pipe thread connection and it is super durable. Plus the large ball valve is so much easier than the little garden hose valve the python uses.

Just a few ideas for yours.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I cant remember where I first saw it, but it was at a fish store years ago. So I copied the design. This was way before Python made theirs. I think the one they make would probably have a lot of pressure and create a jet stream straight towards the gravel. Mine gently fills the tank, especially since I used 3/4” pipe. I think I saw reviews on the Python that said the plastic is soft and easily strips/cross-threads. On mine I did a brass hose to pipe thread connection and it is super durable. Plus the large ball valve is so much easier than the little garden hose valve the python uses.

Just a few ideas for yours.

I have some 1.25in that I was thinking about using. I will use a heat gun to soften the tank side and flatten it out a bit.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have some 1.25in that I was thinking about using. I will use a heat gun to soften the tank side and flatten it out a bit.
Take some pics and post when your done with yours. Would love to get other ideas to improve mine. I want to heat up some pipe and bend it round, almost like how the python looks, but better. Project for another time.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I found a cup of pink flamingo at petco. I’m going to plant it in the greenhouse for now and see how it does as it is not the healthiest looking. Also, picked up some nerites.