What tank projects/goals for this year?

hello12590

Re: What tank projects/goals for this year?

Once I can move upgrade my king betta to a 29 gallon biocube I got for free. Upgrade my musk turtle to a bigger tank. Find a 75 gallon or bigger for a new turtle for my wife that was her parents. Upgrade my shrimp tank cause they are breeding like crazy and look into setting up a 55 gal or bigger for 2 Oranda goldfish. Oh and also swap most of my tank from instead of just planted to naturally planted tanks.

Betty

Staff member

I'm just going to watch my fish grow another year older. I give away offspring when I have them, but for the most part, keep the same old fish year after year after year... until they die.  :( 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

I plan on switching my 40g in my bedroom to my 56g cube. I then plan on moving my 40g to my daughter's bedroom (she's 8 months now, figured it's about time to get her a tank too). I like to upgrade my living room tank from a 5ft to a 6ft tank, and then also get rid of my two tanks in the garage and replace them with a larger and wider tank than my current umbee tank (I also plan to sell off/ trade off all of my umbee fry i am currently raising-----about 400)

I also have plans to sell off the new cutteri fry i have growing out in my classroom tank.

Madness

Staff member

Some awesome ideas everyone.

Myself, more like Betty. :) Just sit and watch them grow more. :) Though I do want to accomplish some breeding projects, like:

Ecuadorian Festae, EBJD, Centrarchus, HRP, Rio Mag Umbee, Microthalmus, Grammodes, Melanurus, Coatzacoalcus, Hoga.

I do want to get a couple tanks relocated, and I am still trying to acquire a 400+ gal tank. But that probably wont happen till after I complete school in the Fall of this year.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I had mentioned my goal of a different tank layout, so here is the massive hunk of Mopani I want to incorporate into my 210g decor. Next to the yardstick gives you perspective on size.

You can see it just turns the water to a deep dark brown in the 55g drum, will it ever stop with the tannins? Been at it for months.

dwarfpike

I think I almost cried seeing all those dark, rich tanins being wasted.  :( 

CMooreCichlids

DMD123 said:
I had mentioned my goal of a different tank layout, so here is the massive hunk of Mopani I want to incorporate into my 210g decor. Next to the yardstick gives you perspective on size.

You can see it just turns the water to a deep dark brown in the 55g drum, will it ever stop with the tannins? Been at it for months.
You can use Seachem Purigen to remove tannins from water, however they will not stop the wood from leaching tannins.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

That is a lot of boiling water... but yes I did. I used a diesel hot water pressure washer to heat and fill that 55g drum to soak that wood on multiple occasions.

Ive used Purigen before, I dont think it would put a dent in what thing has been releasing in tannins. I just need to be patient and keep at it some more.

poffman

Convinced my wife on a 25G rimless for shrimp and plants!!!! So excited. That's my new project for the year.

Peylix

My project/goal is getting my 55g finished. Right now I'm working on getting proper lighting so I can then get the plants I want. Then move some fish around and stock with more.

Will I am

Goals
1. Get a 180g
2. Get a 125g for my H. Fasciatus pair
3. Get a pair of H. Elongatus (in the works)

Ultimate goal for me - Get a tank with all 3 5 spot species and have a pair of each in separate tanks.

Fishy Guy

My wife and I are going to set up a 40 gallon bow front aquarium in the office. My wife loves Angel Fish so that is what we are going to do. It will likely be heavily planted too. We will also be upgrading the lighting on our aquarium tanks. Huzzah!

joefish72

I plan to convert a glass front gun cabinet into an aquarium, for that special hunter/fish enthusiast. Those tanked guys have nothing on me, lol.