What did you do with your tank(s) today?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
This had me laughing for a minute. Tatia intermedia, or the driftwood catfish. My wife calls them the ugly peanut fish because of the silhouette they have when the back light is on and they go swimming in the mid water zone. They hide in nooks all day but once the sunset mode hits they get active. They do snap food up off the bottom but I see them grabbing flakes and micro pellets from the mid water too.

They are softer water (the commonly recommended pH vs what was observed with these seems to off) specialty fish that were passed along to me by another member here and they really brighten up the entertainment value when the night mode is running. I have 3 of them, two males and a female. Every couple months I get a big ole blob of eggs that typically make it to the wriggle phase before the snails eat them all. I think one day I'll pull some eggs and put them in a beer box to hatch without the snails but I'm not ready for that yet and the demand isn't high, despite being pretty fun to watch.
Wow, that's awesome. I still have the T gyrina but they have not spawned for me. The female gets fat with eggs and looks like bubbles in her belly.
You should definitely try raising up some of those intermedia fry!! Wish I had softer water.

BPSabelhaus

1000010214.jpg

All I did was increase the temperature. Petunia and Milic are doing the work lol

PXL_20240125_203922052.jpg

The deed is done. Petunia is in surprisingly good shape. So far my experience with Bettas is that they really are puppies. Sure, there are dogs that bite but in my experience they're all just big puppies and the mean ones just are not having their needs met. There was no chasing, biting or anything. Just two fish existing together.PXL_20240125_202853526.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240125_204552732.jpg
    PXL_20240125_204552732.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

John58Ford

View attachment 13427

All I did was increase the temperature. Petunia and Milic are doing the work lol

View attachment 13428

The deed is done. Petunia is in surprisingly good shape. So far my experience with Bettas is that they really are puppies. Sure, there are dogs that bite but in my experience they're all just big puppies and the mean ones just are not having their needs met. There was no chasing, biting or anything. Just two fish existing together.View attachment 13429
This is pretty cool, you should run a photo journal thread, I like the shot you posted of the eggs under the lily pad elsewhere :)

John58Ford

Watching my bottle trap for the third morning in a row... The my target fish is again on the wrong side of the bottle lol. If only this wasn't a "jungle" tank and I could manage to net these guys.
PXL_20240126_163008202.jpg

John58Ford

After another unsuccessful trapping, I caught about 15 of the wrong ones, right as I leaving for work I saw one of the two targets in the spot the trap had been in earlier (the only tiny square of visible substrate from the top) and managed to net her. This is the smaller of the two I'm trying to capture but it's still one battle in the war.

PXL_20240126_172244513.jpgPXL_20240126_173221465.MP.jpgPXL_20240126_173308624.jpg

Orthopod

@VElderton's suggestion, I signed up for the GSAS Home Show this year, and was looking forward to their visit on Feb. 3. However, last night I received an e-mail from the event organizer saying that I had been bumped off the 13-member visit list because of 'issues' with the SEA-BI ferry. What? I'm disappointed, but what are you going to do? They do travel widely to visit people for the Home Show, even visiting @Orthopod's place last year to see his amazing setup, which is also in Poulsbo. Go figure.
That stinks that they bumped you - your setup is awesome - I elected not to do the home show this year but maybe I would have been bumped if i did. You need to stop by one of these days.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
That stinks that they bumped you - your setup is awesome - I elected not to do the home show this year but maybe I would have been bumped if i did. You need to stop by one of these days.
Maybe if we double-team them next year they'll come over.

Would love to see your new setup now that it's up and running; shoot me an e-mail whenever it's convenient for you. :)

Last edited:

Orthopod

Was feeding my fish this am and had a medium aro coming rocketing out of the 900 - put him back in but these guys just try to kill themselves…

I have another that I have had and grown up for about 5+ years that is one of the biggest I have ever seen home or aquarium that jumped out of the pondarium even though it was 98% covered - looked dead , put him back in the pondarium and went to work. He was swimming around as if nothing happened when I got home 12 hours later with a few extra battle scars.

He’s at least 15 lbs and has broken a 1 inch pvc stand pipe in half in another tank before. I have a love hate relationship with aros.

BPSabelhaus

1000010305.jpg

Sipping coffee and watching the carp :)

They're getting big. I think a bigger pond next year. I have the containers for the larger filters, just need to keep an eye out for deals on something bigger. I've actually been thinking about repurposing an old hot tub. Ditch all the piping, plug the holes and have an insulated pond with a cover (after cleaning and coating and such) But I do want something a bit larger. A hot tub would be a neat pond though lol

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sunday morning water changes and noticed that I lost my Apisto. Last week the pair was acting weird after a water change. Im sure I used Safe this time. Maybe too large a water change… really strange cause nothing seemed different. The little bowfront is looking really empty and it needs a few fish in there. Been looking for something that maybe get up to 4”, with color and peaceful. A gourami is what Im really looking for…

And with all the hiding on the part of the sajica cichlid that tank too looks very empty.

I need to rehome and redo some fish in my tanks to look like there is life in the tanks.

John58Ford

I made it out in town today. Picked up 4 new helpers. Hopefully they don't become cat snacks before they grow out, they already figured out where to go during feeding time so I have a good feeling about them.PXL_20240129_030506223.MP.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer about the apisto, did you buy it young or mature and colored up? Maybe it was just older?
Bought them young and raised them out. Totally feel it was a water issue on my part. Im thinking it was a bit too large a water change last time and I might have crashed the cycle or something along those lines.