What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Stopped at Petsmart in Lakewood before coming home. Had to use up a credit for my rewards and had a TopFin decor coupon that I used on another anubias plant. Picked up two more female swordtails for my male in the 46 bowfront.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday
Screenshot 2022-12-01 152546.jpg
Today
Screenshot 2022-12-01 .jpg

Hopefully these guys come in good shape. Its longer than expected sitting in box for delivery...

I know Imperial packs well and likely heating pack but still worried its not here at 3:30 in the afternoon

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The thing that drives me crazy about this is that UPS leaves the box at my door without even ringing the doorbell, even when it's cold outside and the package is marked 'Live Fish' and 'Keep Warm.' Duh! o_O

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Are you planning to give them treats of krill to really bring out those reds?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Are you planning to give them treats of krill to really bring out those reds?
I was thinking of trying the NLS red pellet or the Hikari red parrot pellets, even the Hikari cichlid gold gets pretty impressive reds. But at current size will likely get some frozen Hikari frozen krill cubes. Perfect size for them to eat and will color them up.

Wonder if the 3 will get along or if Im going to have to rehome 2 very soon…

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of trying the NLS red pellet or the Hikari red parrot pellets, even the Hikari cichlid gold gets pretty impressive reds. But at current size will likely get some frozen Hikari frozen krill cubes. Perfect size for them to eat and will color them up.

They should get along! I haven’t seen them become territorial until they are larger like 6” body length….

I’ve used the the hikari blood parrot pellets ( the smallest ones with my fish! I still have some in a bag that I give my fish every once in a while. I bought them when I ran out of the specialty pellets that came with a flowerhorn I bought…. The hikari was the closest I could find and did really bring the reds out. But I also gave them southern delight growth pellets which I’ve found to be the best food to add growth and color and health to my cichlids.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Given enough space all three should be able to cohab. My one large H liberifer wont tolerate others even in my larger tanks. He is ignoring the new one I added over the summer but it is still under 6in. It’s developing the face spotting typical of the males but I’m told some female liberifers do as well.
The other sevs I kept would bicker a little but the group was big enough to spread it around.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Given enough space all three should be able to cohab.
The big question is a 90 gallon big enough? The largest one has long trailers and Im guessing male and it was pushing at the next sized down fish but left the littlest one alone. So hopefully a little bit of establishing pecking order and nothing more. Would love to be able to keep all 3 in the tank... will see

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of weird now when I go out in the fishroom at night to feed the plecos... Ive rehomed so many I need to remember not to feed too much, lol

Need to make some decisions on where plecos will go... I kept one of the babies (46g bowfront) from the M/F BN albino pair and believe it to be male. I have my green phantom hi fin (90g oscar tank), and the 2 chubby plecos (65B). Oh yeah and the big unseen male bn (65B) that lives with the red wolf fish.

Might try and stop at fish stores this weekend and see if I can find some schooling fish to add to the 90 with the sevs. My Petco in Lakewood sometimes gets some nice Rainbows in but I think Im leaning towards Roseline sharks.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The big question is a 90 gallon big enough? The largest one has long trailers and Im guessing male and it was pushing at the next sized down fish but left the littlest one alone. So hopefully a little bit of establishing pecking order and nothing more. Would love to be able to keep all 3 in the tank... will see
When my 90g was still viable I had the H Notatus (10in ish) and the H liberifer (10in ish) in there together and it was not. She wouldn’t tolerate him in that confined space. The super reds are a line bred Heros cf. efasciatus which is smaller. If there is a female in the trio all bets are off.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hoplo soup
6A29C110-F444-454B-AC4F-0F7BEC793082.jpeg
Caught the 4 albino hoplo and moved them in with the severums. There was some upset at the beginning with the sevs not liking all the activities of the catfish. They soon were swimming around more and not hiding as much because the cats were out and about and made them more comfortable. Cant wait to add some schooling tetra or barb, should really make things lively

sir_keith

Legendary Member
... Ran everything on the generator. o_O Lost Power last night at 2 a. m., just restored at 6:30 a. m. This was the second multi-hour outage in a week. It's such a relief not to have to worry about the fishes when the power goes out, a hard lesson learned from the Hanukkah Eve windstorm of 2006.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, glad your power is back up and you and your fish are well.

Did you have a transfer box wired in or just plug in cords to the generator. In Lakewood with all or trees we will get sudden outages during storms. So far the worst was just an overnight but have been considering a back up power plan.