The Pet Works - Olympia

anderson_p_r

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish ?
Variety 2
Service 5

Excited to see a new pet store here in Oly. They didn't have very many fish in stock when I stopped in, they've only been open 6 weeks. The space they've chosen to use as a fish room is massive, I really hope they expand and can become a destination fish stop in the south sound. I'd love to update this in a few months and see how things progress.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I love their Astoria store and I do alot of work down there with them. Glad to see them expanding. Longview, Astoria and Olympia locations now.

Overall Experience 5
Cost - Will be Updated
Quality of Fish - Will be Updated
Variety - Will be Updated
Service 5

I met Larry, my friend, and also the store manager, when I went to drop off some of my straw shrimp projects, and the building itself is really cool. It used to be an old train station, if I remember correctly, so the building has some history to it, I bet! There weren't any fish set up, when I was there, so my review isn't totally complete. I will update my review, when I visit them when they have more fish in stock. Overall, it's a good place to go, if you're within, or near, Thurston County (Olympia and surrounding areas).

anderson_p_r

Selection is very limited as of yet. I picked up some fish this weekend and they seem nice and healthy. They currently have almost 1,000 gallons of freshwater and they're planning on trippling it I think? Sounds like they're also going to add saltwater.

discus_2013

Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 4
Variety 4
Service 5

I just went to this one in Olympia and let me just say while the quantity is still small the quality and variety are solid for the area they had apistos, electric blue jack dempsey, golden jack dempsey, ornate bichirs, jewel cichlids.... a Congo puffer which I bought.... and all the other little stuff. When I bought my fish I didn't have my tank set up for it so they held it for me and they even got other buyers trying to snipe it while I was gone and they still held it for three days for me, I needed a lot of sand for my 125 and they offered to discount it for me, any question I had they had an answer and where very nice and polite... while they don't have many tanks set up they have another wall cycling so needless to say I will be a loyal customer for a long time and for all you oly peeps it is a breath of fresh air compared to the other aquatic shops in the area and I suggest you check them out.

Oh and they have black calvus which I really want.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 4
Variety 4
Service 5

I never really go south for Fish stores unless Im planning a Portland trip and stop at Wet Spot. But this place was worth the short drive from Lakewood. Very nice and clean with friendly staff. I recently went on a road trip with my wife and we went to the Astoria, OR store along with the Longview, WA and Olympia, WA locations. With so many big box pet stores out there it was nice to find this little chain. While I did not buy much except a couple plastic plants, I really did like the stores overall.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 4
Variety 4
Service 5

I went looking for driftwood for a 75 gallon. They had lots of large spider wood pieces that were very cool but I wanted something that looked like a large fallen log. I found quite a large Mopani piece in the reptile area for $40 that I was very happy with. Was not really looking for fish but noticed a very large watercow (Goby) and lots of little baby axolotl.

This was my Mopani piece I picked up
IMG_20200808_173952435.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went in just to look for fish to add to the community tank and noticed that what they carry looks a lot like the stuff on Wet Spot fish lists. Makes me think same supplier. There were three different variants of hillstream loach of interest and there was a red lizard loach listed which are really cool looking but could not find it in the tank. Lots of stuff you wont find at the big box stores.

This was another unexpected find over in the reptile section a large piece of Mopani. Well priced at $39.99 for a 25 1/2" "log". Thinking to put this one in the 300 for a larger impact
IMG_20201014_153642819.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They Seem to be able to get puffers quite frequently too!
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went in just to look for fish to add to the community tank and noticed that what they carry looks a lot like the stuff on Wet Spot fish lists. Makes me think same supplier. There were three different variants of hillstream loach of interest and there was a red lizard loach listed which are really cool looking but could not find it in the tank. Lots of stuff you wont find at the big box stores.

This was another unexpected find over in the reptile section a large piece of Mopani. Well priced at $39.99 for a 25 1/2" "log". Thinking to put this one in the 300 for a larger impact
View attachment 6742

Madness

Staff member
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 5
Service 5

View attachment 6742
Did they have other pieces of wood shaped similarly to that?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 5
Service 5

This is my go to place for Mopani wood. The Zoo Med Jumbo size is only $39.99. These are pieces that are usually 24"+ and at many places sell for about $70. They have a nice selection of fish too.
IMG_20201110_130822389.jpg The angle of the picture makes it look shorter than it is but its like 25" long

Madness

Staff member
Ok i just visited this place. Very happy with the vibe and customer service. Plus i grabbed a nice piece of wood as well. My only negative is fish selection regarding what i am looking for.

Overall experience 5
Cost 5
Quality 5
Variety 3 (based on my likes/wants) 5 otherwise
Service 5
20201115_122105.jpg 20201115_122100.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I enjoy going down there as they have some real nice odd ball / hard to find find. Though their American cichlid section tends to lean toward the same old same old of other LFS

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

I really like this place. Its clean and they have a good selection of community fishes. I usually find some nice Jumbo Zoo Med Mopani but not one I liked today. They got a fish shipment in today and noticed the boxes were from Cichlid Exchange, the Wet Spots fish supplier. They also had this water cow.
IMG_20201204_122805244.jpg

whatthebloody

Was just there yesterday. Picked up some springtails for a terrarium project I'm going to try. Also grabbed a bunch of tiny sticks (literally sticks) of spiderwood that they sell by the 1/2 pound. Took a while, as I was literally digging at the very bottom just to find the tiniest pieces. Its all I need for my itty bitty nano tanks :)

Madness

Staff member
Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 4
Service 5

I am very impressed with this place. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Very clean. Prices are a bit steep on some things, but all-in-all its nice to have a place like this within reach.

Picked up a couple of large turtle caves for my cichlid tanks, and a nice piece of wood.